The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got all wound up to start seeding today ....my monitor says I have bad air cart battery...pretty sure it wasn't had it on the trickle charger in heated shop most of winter... volt meter said it was fine was pretty old bought a new one same thing. I thought maybe that stupid relay in battery box on air cart tried new one and even gave it all new terminal ends...checked and put in new fuse same problem . I tried to hit the button under air cart to role the rollers no dice no juice tried prime button same thing monitor says everything is hooked up and ready to go bin sensor's task controllers. when I go to the diagnose screen and check system voltage all good except air cart battery? Thanks for any ideas Dan

·
Registered
160 Posts
Those carts will throw that error for even a marginal battery did you check voltage on new battery? I have had some off the shelf down a little. I would clean all the terminals going to the battery very well, easy stuff first. Was the relay one from case? Aftermarket relays often do not have the diode in them that is needed so most don’t work. Check the terminals in the fuse holder for corrosion if you see any replace the fuse holder.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replace fuse holder the relay what's the aftermarket at the same one i have been using for several years cleaned up all the terminals on the battery voltage on the new battery was good also i will keep checking more wiring tomorrow when it gets light

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is a special relay with a built in resistor I believe, also check that light that goes out when fan starts, its tied into charge circuit when fan starts up. (I have a Flexicoil 4350 though) Also try to disconnect and reconnect Can bus terminators (I have one by monitor and one on cart) and see if it goes away. Sometimes it seems those solid state electronics need to be ”woken” up. If it persists I’d say bad connection or bad terminator/ controller. hope this helps

·
Registered
160 Posts
Check to make sure your terminals are on the relay correctly, pin 30 goes to alternator/battery, pins 87 one goes to the light on the alternator the other goes to the alternate power source and rate controller on cart, pin 86 is the battery positive from the tractor at key on activates the relay, and pin 85 is ground from the tractor. You should have power coming form the tractor at pin 86 at key on and the relay should click. There should be battery positive from the cart battery at pin 30 then when the relay clicks on pin 30 should supply cart voltage to pins 87 and there should not be any voltage loss anywhere. So if there is 12.6 at the battery with key off there should be 12.6 at pin 30. Then with fan running there should be at least 13.5 volts at battery, alternator output, pin 30, and pins 87. There should also be tractor voltage at pin 86 if you see a voltage drop correct the area you find it in whether its a bad wire, connector, or relay. Pin 87 supplies air cart battery voltage to pins x1,x2,y1,y1 on your rate controller on the left inside frame of your cart between tanks two and three so if you use a small pin you can back probe in those terminals and ensure you have the same voltage there as you have at pin 87 on the relay however I almost always find that the relay is wrong or there is a voltage drop somewhere around the battery if there was an issue with your controller you would likely have other issues. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had correct part number on box wrong part in box so it was the stupid relay . That is what i get for not looking at the actual part instead of part number on box.....so easy fix I then got all excited went to the field to start seeding . I turned on my blockage hit the prime button nothing ??? then I figured my rollers must not be turning... left fan going walked back there rollers all three are going of coarse nothing coming out.. completely plugged . So trying to fig out why are they rolling and tractor not moving .. prime button must me stuck so shut if off completely nothing .. started to wonder if there wasn't something jacked with new relay nope just fine ended up being the button on the cart by the manifold so unplugged that button ...good to go... hopefully not to many more bugs to work out....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts