The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
So far my biggest puzzle is winter barley when setting up the combine. a specially two lines varieties. Mine problem is to broke awns. If we set it to hard threshing it brakes a lot of straw and overloads the sieves. if we set it more gentle it does not brakes awns. so in general it always takes a loty of time and nerves to set up the AF for winter barley.
Any body else has same problem? any smart solutions?

·
Registered
79 Posts
How about a cover plate for the front element?
I know the winter barley is never easy to get the stem off. That's just how it is. Regardless what colour you run.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well wthh NH TX or CX that was easier for me
doe you mean those so called deawning plates?

·
Registered
116 Posts
We run a helical small wire concave in the front position on our 2388. I think it has helped with the awns on winter barley and also improved straw quality as we can run the concave slighty wider but have more agressive threshing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah some of the walker machines have these plates you can flick up.

I think Gordon, Loewen or one of them guys got them covers, that blinds the first treshing element.
I beleive they are used for beans, correct me if i'm wrong.
But you could form a plate to fit and then bolt it up to the front element. That would be a cheap experiment.... I'm pretty sure you would gain the same as with the deawning plates on the walker machines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts