The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many after coolers leaking and being replaced. So I thougth I bring this up here so everybody can check his and get it replaced before the 5 year warranty is up.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Just had mine out of the 9650sts. All was well other than nearly every fin on it was bent flat. I guess someone had used a pressure washer or something on it and bent them over= took over two days to straighten them out

·
Registered
321 Posts
The after cooler has a fin spacing that doesn't match up to that tool and if the newer ones do, it still cant hardly rake up the ones laid over falt.

jd

·
Registered
578 Posts
i wished i would have taken some before and after pics. the tool doesnt match, and the fins are way to shallow near the cooling tubes for it to work. we used o-ring picks to bend them back up then used a very small pair of needle nose pliers to straighten them------you couldnt tell that they were ever bent after using the pliers on them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Dont run any grain over the bin either, the fan will pick it up and throw it against the cooler and radiator and mash then flat again.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Combiness, if the fins are really messed up, a radiator comb won't work, anyway. A radiator comb is designed to 'dress up' fins that aren't all that bad. When the fins are crashed, smashed and laid over flat, only the old-fashioned way will do it! Maybe after hours of work with a pick, a radiator comb will help to speed up the process...but like the Guru said, the freakin' spacing does not match !!! Arrrrrrrgggg..another one of John Deere's crowning achievements!
(I was just looking at one of my radiator combs..it has six sides to it..they are indexed at: 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, & 15)
Maybe Deere mis-matched the spacing pertaining to a 'common tool' so they could sell a "John Deere Cooling Fin Alignment Tool". No telling what the price would be..I would venture to guess that it would be in the high-$ 30's $.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts