The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone uses aftermarket concaves on their jd rotor combines. we are not happy with the job our 9760 does on wheat. There are too many white heads in the sample and putting in filler plates seems like a backward solution. The concaves are also a real pain to switch when we go from peas to wheat.

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Been there & have tried everything to make the JD (OEM) concaves & rotor bars to work properly - finally bit the bullet a couple of years ago & put in all Loewen (low wire) narrow, rotor bars & adjustable pre-cleaner. Have never looked back since. It's a totally different machine. No trouble thrashing in any conditions, virtually no returns, white heads nor rotor loss. You'll thrash wheat even in tough (damp) conditions at rotor speeds of around 800-850rpm. In dry conditions you'll be down to 750-780.

·
Registered
578 Posts
no, we run various filler plates from time to time. just depends on the conditions. the main thing this helped was grinding all of the straw up and over loading the sieves.the kuchar elements take less power to pull as well.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I agree with Rod, I run a Loewen low wire, narrow spaced concave in the front position, Deere narrow spaced in the middle and rear, no cover plates in 18% moisture wheat, 1.5% dockage.

MS

·
Registered
32 Posts
MS, do you know how low the wire is in the Loewen concave? Maybe I should say it like this, " how much bar is over the wire on the Loewen low wire concave."

·
Registered
530 Posts
I would try the helical concaves from loewan, they make great parts. Ive had kuchar parts and they are lacking in quality control area.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Monterro, I can't say for sure how much lower the wires are in the Loewen concave, just that they are lower which is Deere's problem, the wires in the Deere concave are too high. The steel in the Loewen concaves is the same grade as Deere's so called high wear units.
MS

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Has anyone tried the extra narrow wire concaves? The wires appear to be closer together, so that when the head of wheat gets pushed down between the wires that it should strip the white cap off. Each concave section is only 1/2 the width of the Deere concave, so they should be easier to change.

Do the low wire Loewen concaves that are talked about in the above posts crack more wheat? I would think that with more bar sticking up that it would also crack more grain.

The sts combines certainly do a poor job of removing the white caps in wheat.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Why an adjustable pre-cleaner? What model of sts are you running? On the 60 series they did some change ups off the back of the pre-cleaner to try to eliminate white caps. seems that on the 50's at one moment the shoe would be apart enough and let whitecaps right down into the clean grain sump

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So just to clarify MS. You only run one loewen concave in the front and the rest are the JD concaves? Also, where did you buy the adjustable pre-cleaner? I think it is rediculous that these combines don't come with adjustable pre-cleaners.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
That's right, I run the Loewen in the front, Deere in the middle and rear. I bought the Deere adjustable cleaner. If I was to buy another it would be a Loewen, the louvers are closer together. I
run it the same opening as the chaffer. The openings on the non-adjustable Deere are fixed at 15/16, closing it down dramatically
increases the pressure of the air keeping the material coming off the auger bed much more active. I'm a firm believer you have to get that material lifting as soon as possible.

MS

·
Registered
273 Posts
Good topic, I was wondering the same. Does anyone know how the Loewen Helical compare to the Narrow Low Wire? Which is better for small grains?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Would loewen concaves help seperate Barley.Had to cut wheat high when straw was damp or the wheat did not seperate very well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts