The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have put a close spaced chain in and i previously had a wide spaced one. i bought the chain from shoup. they offered it with no slats, so thats they way i purchased it. i actually thought mine was a close spaced one but it turns out it wasnt. i need 23 more slats to make up the difference. i about fell over when i priced the slats from deere. the 23 slats were $577.00 im hoping shoup will sell slats idividually. man thats d**n near robbery

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the slats are T shaped. i just looked on shoups site, and as i stated earlier they sell the chains with or without slats. i took the difference of the two offerings and diveded by the no. of slats thiers slats basically cost $6 per slat and deere has thiers priced at $24 thats insane

·
Registered
530 Posts
NO thats not insane thats deere, get used to it they rape us on all parts my friend, so will shoup sell the slats seperate? Loewan sells chains too but not sure if you can get slats Im looking for a few too.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i ordered 24 this morning from shoup they were $7.95 vs $24.00 from deere. hope this helps you davedan.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive bought over 15,000 worth of parts from shoup in the past year and have had ZERO issues with any of it. ive rebuilt an 1850 drill and a 9610. what started me to using shoup is this---- lastyear i bought a roll of chain from them for my combine. i didnt buy the sprockets because i thought/figured that oem deere ones would be better. so i got the sprockets for the feeder drive and unloading auger from deere. well when i recieved them they had MADE IN CHINA stamped on them. thats fine, heck you cannt find anything anymore thats not made in china. if i going to buy a chinese made product i think i should pay for a chinese made product and not green paint. why would a feeder chain from deere be better than a chain from shoup?? does the green paint have a tough protective coating or what??? i put shoups ext wear boots on my drill they have about 4000 acres on them and look like they just came off the brown truck. i put thier opening disks on as well and they are new looking as well. put the 1860-1890 closing wheel update on as well. im sure you wont believe it but im not stopping ever 200 acres and replacing closing wheel bearings like i was with the oem setup. i bleed green i dont mind admiting but i dont have a money tree growing in the backyard and i look for the most bang for the buck. fire away

·
Registered
530 Posts
At one time I bought a feeder chain from Loewan and they had an option of chrome pins, that was an awesome chain, I think I adjusted it Once the first season then once the begining of the second season but got about 5 seasons out of the whole chain then sold it in the machine where the next guy ran it for atleast two more seasons, probably 2 sets of sprockets for that one chain. I rebuilt one of my feeder chains last year using Shoup chain and used my slats but have not used it yet but kept it as a spare.

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
Deere changed to 8 pin slat spacing in 07:

Not to mention far better slats.
I've been around 4, 6 and 8 pin space feeder chains and less is more.
They are lighter, as you've found out cheaper but far more importantly they feed better. This is my 06 9860 and after 2 seasons I changed to the 07 chain, the t slats on the old chain were screwed. I think the arms on the roller had to be changed, can't remember.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Deere changed to 8 pin slat spacing in 07:

Not to mention far better slats.
I've been around 4, 6 and 8 pin space feeder chains and less is more.
They are lighter, as you've found out cheaper but far more importantly they feed better. This is my 06 9860 and after 2 seasons I changed to the 07 chain, the t slats on the old chain were screwed. I think the arms on the roller had to be changed, can't remember.

Don

Don have been around many customers that like the more slats, they always send it feeds better, we are soybean and corn here, maybe that makes some differents.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Don have been around many customers that like the more slats, they always send it feeds better, we are soybean and corn here, maybe that makes some differents.

Don You a CAT MAN now, That is a Claas MAN, what are you doing here. HA HA HA HA

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i cannt speak as to which is better i ended up with the close spaced one by mistake. i thought that was what i had when i ordered it. turns out when i got in ther eto replace it, i was wrong. no combiness i didnt consider them,, maybe i should have though. seems as though this shoup chain wont last till the water gets hot, so maybe then ill try one

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
Well technically at the moment I'm both.

Claas uses 6 pin spacing. I suspect that's what most use now.
Tom your a tech. Are those bolts long enough that hold the outside slats on? J/C.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Well technically at the moment I'm both.

Claas uses 6 pin spacing. I suspect that's what most use now.
Tom your a tech. Are those bolts long enough that hold the outside slats on? J/C.

Don

They look like they could inter-fer and maybe get some trash on them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Aug 21, 2008, 8:39pm, deerefixer wrote: But when you work for deere you are expected to push deere parts. Thats why I have such a tunnel vision when it comes to that. My boss absolutely dislikes certain aftermarket companys from dealing with certain issues in the past...So you do what the boss tells you to do...

I feel as a mechanic/tech, whatever, that I owe it to the farmer to find what works best/lasts longer and costs the least and many times it isn't deere parts.

I would think with shop rates being as high as they are that tech's would help the customer out as much as possible parts wise, but that's just my .02

Of course the boss is gonna shove JD at you - doesn't mean he's right.

jd

1 - 20 of 28 Posts