The Combine Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend is upgrading his 1688 and the only AFX he could get on short notice is a CIH unit designed to go in an '05 2388.
The dealer sold him the correct rear drive coupler.
But the front of the rotor does NOT have the two lugs that stick out about an inch and go into the front bearing holder (kidney) to help clean it out and prevent wrapping/buildup.
Instead his has an mini flighting design? He measured an AFX rotor we have out of on of our 2388's that has the two lugs and is going to compare all the measurements and he will prefit the bearing unit and shims on the ground to see how it looks/fits.

Has anyone used this design AFX in an older combine??
Did you have to use the newer '05 bearing holder?
Any start point for shims ?

His combine also still has the original cone with 33 bolt standard vane kit.
Will the 52 bolt HD stainless kit bolt into that cone and he just has to drill the extra holes?
Do any of the holes line up?

I will try and locate a heavy duty cone complete with the heavy vanes in morn but it would be nice to just bolt these in.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The AFX measured out the same as ours and the test fit looked like everything was good.
Got him a HD Lowen (A&I)cone with stainless vanes and a set of HD transition vanes for in the cage.
The Lowen (A&I) cones still fit as terrible as they did 5 and 10 years ago when we put them in our 2388's, 1682's and a 1480!!
But at $1200 cheaper than a HD cone from CIH I can spend an extra hour fitting it and the feeder house into place and adjusting a few things.

He has been running a few days now and is very happy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.