The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Quote:Word has it the AFX7010 is finally going to be available for the 2007 harvest season. Few details except 340 hp and 300 bushel tank.

I'll believe it when I SEE it! The last we heard of this machine was that it was too heavy for competitive class 7 horsepower. If they even think of using an updated frame from the 2388 they are crazier than I thought. That frame is so light weight that it will buckle under its own weight. They will have to continue to use the New Holland CR combine frame (CR 940 & 960).

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
So how many percentage of advantage will this give me

5%

Wow.....30,000 dollars more and i get a 5% bigger combine

how cool is that

lol

Sorry but i see about as lil difference from a AFX Rotor 2388 to a 7010

they said after they combined ther rotor and 2388 that it did almost as much as what there 7010 was going to do so they put that on the way side

So will they quit with the 2388 completly? thats about the only way we would buy one currently

Should be interesting to see how things go

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Who's word? My dealer that was at the Chicago dealer meeting, the annoucement was made there to all the dealers. He has no pricing yet on it but expects the pricing sometime this summer as the 2006 order book for Red combines is just about full.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
So will they stop 2388's for good.....and just have the 7010's

IM MISSING What they would gain from haveing

2377....2388...(basically same combine) with another combine thats basically not any better than a 2388

Numbers wise...

just curious

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes.. the 7010 will be available for '07. There has been considerable interest from farmers in a class 7 combine, with the new features found on the 8010 (CVT drive, concaves, cab, hopper capacity etc.). The 2388 will continue to be produced for the foreseeable future. The 7010 will be well suited to compete against the 9760 from Deere.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A dealer told me today also. Case will have 4 combines for the 07 models. The 7010 will be added. It will be the same frame as the 8010. A 9660 and a 9760 are the same machine basically, and people pay more for the 97. Self leveling sieve will be an attractive feature for anyone with hills. Hopefully they upgrade the unloading system to compete with Deere.

Brandon

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Let me give you a little comparison for the sake of fun. Mitsubishi sells two cars, the Lancer and the Lancer Evolution (EVO). The plain Lancer is a $15,000 econo-box with a 120 HP engine, while the EVO is about $30,000 and 271 HP. On the outside, the body panels look mostly the same. Under the skin though, everything is different, engine, tranny, differentials, interior, etc. Because they are very different cars, they can charge a different price for it.

Now look at the 2377 and the 2388. To the best of my knowledge, the only real difference on the manufacturing side is some larger hopper extensions on the 2388. The engine is the exact same, just at a different HP level. And I'd even bet that the chip controlling the HP is the exact same as well, physically. With the Tier-3 thing, I'd suspect it is just a change in the software code that determines its HP output. So what you end up with is a little extra sheet metal for a hopper extension on the 2388. That isn't much, so why should there be even a $10,000 difference in cost? Why even a $1,000 difference in cost? The cost to produce each machine is nearly the same.

Deere has been doing this for years with the 9660, 9760, and 9860. However, I do believe they also use a different engine block in the larger machine(s) to get the extra HP. Still, seems silly to me.

And now we'll have the option of a 7010. Will it be a 8010 with different software on the engine control chip?

Let me ask you this, when was the last time you were sitting in your 2388, thrashing across some field, and you had a thought pop into your head. "Gosh this crop is threshing so nice today, I bet I could do this with 50 less HP."

-Lance (Thinks this is some stupid marketing)

P.S. I can guarantee you won't see the official CIH marketing materials showing either a 2377 or a 7010 in canola.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
But since they are willing to sell the 2377 (which is almost 2388) at a lower price, why not just sell the 2388 at that lower price? That would enable them to undercut the others such as deere and maybe gain some market share.

-Lance

Edited because spelling owns me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Lance, I'm with you some on the 2377 & 2388 deal, but if I believe the 2388 is air to air intercooed where as the 2377 is intercooled. But their trying to pass off a 2388 for a 2366 which their is alot of customers that still like to run a 6 row machine at 3-4 MPH than 5-6 MPH. They just want to keep building bigger and put bells and whistles that nobody wants, Look at the JX tractor. we've sold a few of them. That's what the custermers wants build it. So why don't they do that with a combine I don't know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't ever think that Deere would allow anyone to undercut them. The price that an item sells for, does not nessesarily relate totally to its production costs. You must factor in advertising, warrenty, R&D, distribution and a whole host of other costs as well. Combines are no different than other vehicles. They are priced at what the market will bear.

The 7010 will be sold at a discount to the 8010, but at a premium to the 2388. Why is a 9660 priced less than a 9760 when they are essentially the same combine? Because you pay for capacity.

I know of producers that snapped up quantities of 05 2377's with mechanical fuel systems because they knew they could be turned up to 2388 specs. When they trade, they will get a 2377 trade price... not a 2388 price. Their long term cost of ownership will be slightly lower... but not much.

The 7010 is needed to fill a large void in the CIH line-up. All us CIH guys know what a 2388 is capable of (comparing to JD), but to convince a green owner of that is nearly impossible. The 7010, even with less HP, will be a lot of fun to work with beside the competition. CIH will sell a pile of them. Let's face it... the 8010 is way too much combine for a lot of farmers. It is a large jump from a 2388 (40%). A combine like a 7010 with say a 20% increase over the 2388 will be a real nice fit.

Just .02 CDN from a guy who works with them every day!

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I find this topic to be very interesting, here are my observations (prolly not even worth .02)

7010-I am sure it will sell good, it does fit a certian market as pointed out by canuck. There will be poeple who buy it for certian features (self leveling shoe, cvt) and need those options. Essentially all they are gonna do is lower the 8010 price and put a different chip in them. They would sell more 8010s if they gave it a power option and lowered its price to, but i am sure they have it figured out.

2377-In my mind fits no MAJOR demographic. I would be interested in one though, if i was in the new combine market. It would work great for cutting 30 bushel wheat, 50 bushel milo, 30 bushel millet, dry land corn and 6-36 irrigated corn in a dry climate-it is ideal for that and would hopefully burn less fuel. That being said, it doesn't fit the market (2366) that they are aiming it at and i would argue that it is a dumber idea than a 7010.

Isn't this about the same issue as xx40/44 and xx60/66?

So there you go, nothing to profound, that is for sure, i am not marketing expert and they are, maybe it will all really fly.

have a good week
brad

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
An 8010 isn't 40% bigger than a 2388......

I thought it was like 15%

Personally im not not dumb enuff to go out and pay who knows what for a 7010 when its not going to do much more than a 2388

but thats just how i feel
Personally

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a new 2388 vs new 8010's, same day, same field, side by side and measured 40% increase in productivity (bu/hr). This was confirmed by customers who made the switch from 23's to 8010's. 40% seems to be the number here in Canada. Since that particular test was done, the 8010's got a different HP curve which boosted the productivity again.

I would expect the 7010 to be right in the middle 20% greater than a 2388, and 20% less than an 8010.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts