The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would start a discussion on which Ag marketing company offers the most reliable advise and profitability.? A lot of companies offer a varied amount services and claims but lets cut to the chase, who is the best at it?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I’m not going to name specific companies by name but we did use one of the more in-depth, expensive companies for a few years.
I know guys that still use them and really like the service. They are good at recording inventories, sales, and contracts if that is not something you like to do on your own.
However I was unimpressed with their sales recommendations. Of course they aren’t going to be perfect, but I found myself just going back to doing my own thing.
I do like some of the more affordable companies out there. $500-$600 per year, no cost per acre very informal. Grain Shark is actually one I really like mostly because of his platform. Market and news updates on the phone. His recs aren’t perfect but they give me a good benchmark to make my own decisions off of.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Marketing is the one thing on this forum where no secrets are given out... I've asked years ago and got nothing. My best luck is dealing with a few grain brokering services for my crops that don't have a local market. I don't get marketing recommendations, but save on the trucking costs as they can get me lower rates when I have to sell.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I don’t think many want to stick their head out more than they already are or have a hand in a decision that goes south for someone else!

One I deal with is mostly just an incremental seller. They really reenforced my suspicions about China and put out a 100% canola sold before it went all to hell. Put over 240K in my pocket on that recommendation alone.

With that nobody can tell the future. Look at the Coronavirus that popped out of nowhere.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Oatking in relation to your question I am not sure there is any company that can accurately predict the future and consistently out fox the market. If anyone would have known this Corona virus would tank the market more canola would have been sold 3 weeks ago. From what a lot have said over the years is they pay these marketing guys lots of money and in the end they make as many mistakes or poor calls as you and I.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oatking in relation to your question I am not sure there is any company that can accurately predict the future and consistently out fox the market. If anyone would have known this Corona virus would tank the market more canola would have been sold 3 weeks ago. From what a lot have said over the years is they pay these marketing guys lots of money and in the end they make as many mistakes or poor calls as you and I.
Yes, I AGREE SouthernSK, I have tried a few different marketing companies. First I tried Cargill s propricing , which I would classify as poor pricing. I have also tried their puts and calls with a little more success. I find when your in control instead of their so called market pros it results in more money. I would stick my head out and suggest Cargill pros dont give a D a m if you make it or break it. Only reason I started this tread is I am fielding a lot of phone calls from Cargill. Cargill seems to sure push their pro pricing. They are charging high premiums with a poor track record. Kind of have the feeling, what have you done for me lately. I have had better coaching advise from AL Kluis. At least you can call them up any time and get a sense of the trade direction. That service is provided free thru soybean seed purchases. Was wondering what some of the American think of Al Kluis. He is not as accurate or as heavy on the sales like me. He is only 40 percent sold on beans where I sold everything before the trade deal. Yeah I can understand why guys like to keep marketing private. Dont know about you guys but mores times than not, when I go back to my own gut feelings I come out further ahead. I always feel if your in the top 2 /3 of pricing you doing ok.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have subscribed to quite a few and really they are no better than a good grain buyer that sends out informative daily texts. Nobody can consistently hit the top of the market. Seems most marketing services are selling like 10% of your production every rally if they occur monthly. Miss a rally for 2 months and they sell 20-30% at once.

Biggest thing I noticed is that most sharp up rallies last 3 days. I am slow at making up my mind on grain sales and by the time I thought about selling it was day 5 and the market dropped.

So best advise I have is get some kind of text updates daily and pay attention to the days when the market runs up a lot and on the 3rd day that happens sell 10%.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think the marketing service model in western Canada is really tough to follow through on.
There is such a spread in crops grown, basis levels, and wheat classifications and grades... it really makes it difficult to give blanket sales recommendations for all subscribers at once.

·
Registered
522 Posts
market advice-the market will go up and then down very fast then slow, but not necessarily in that order or speed
there are not many billionaire marketers they are just as in the dark as the majority of us

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Ignore the marketing "experts" (idiots) and know your break evens and go from there. Set your own strike prices and stick to them.

I'm no marketing expert but I'm done paying people to loose me money. I can do that for free.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I could give you my advice, but then I would have to kill you.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have had better coaching advise from AL Kluis. At least you can call them up any time and get a sense of the trade direction. That service is provided free thru soybean seed purchases. Was wondering what some of the American think of Al Kluis. He is not as accurate or as heavy on the sales like me. He is only 40 percent sold on beans where I sold everything before the trade deal. Yeah I can understand why guys like to keep marketing private. Dont know about you guys but mores times than not, when I go back to my own gut feelings I come out further ahead. I always feel if your in the top 2 /3 of pricing you doing ok.
if your using al kluis for cash sales your doing it wrong, he's a futures trader, we use all kluis just for future sales, we sell basis before his recommendation or we sell on futures if we haven't gotten a basis.
I was actually at a cargill meeting this week and was shocked what they charge per tonne for doing your futures contract.

We have always taken al's advice but we fkd up last year on the canola, which sucked but this year we sold half the canola just after new years. when Al recomended to sell soys we figured we tag the canola along, basis was good on it at viterra, but the soys we just sold futures only, the elevators here didn't offer a basis worth looking at.

marketing is actually a shot in the dark to be honest, but having a guy watching futures signals helped us to avoid "panick selling"
We have used farmlink before, they hit it last year with canola, but we've seen them panick sell once and worked out wrong.
Same goes for intelli farm. They said market topped on corn $5.40 and we sold month later for $6 picked up.

If you like AL kluis I suggest opening a futures account, and learn how basis work, then you can really see how much more money you can make with basis and futures.
on the wheat G3 had a good basis for december 2020 but didn't like the futures so took basis and sold futures end of december. Selling basis alone and wait for higher futures usually works good (if basis is good and futures low)

·
Registered
483 Posts
I subscribe to Wild Oats. ~$225 a year for a weekly update and incremental selling recs. Canadian so covers all my crops and then some. I think they are fairly reliable.
When my subscription to Heartland Investor services ends I won't be renewing it. He talks a big game but as far as actual results it seems he only loses money. Most market guys seem to just make up reasons why the market moves. They wouldn't still be working if they knew what was going to happen.

Many are decent at "state of the markets" updates but when the money goes in the pockets it seems like it's usually the wrong ones. Maybe I've been reading too much Daniel Kahneman but much of their reasoning seems suspect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The company where I'm working doesn't appeal to marketing companies. The CEO thinks that is better to have a marketing department within the company, that will make all market research and will deal with the customers. As I'm working in the sales field, the company appeals once a year at an organization that can help with prospecting and they do research, use some specific methods in order to find new prospects.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Marketing is the one thing on this forum where no secrets are given out... I've asked years ago and got nothing. My best luck is dealing with a few grain brokering services for my crops that don't have a local market. I don't get marketing recommendations, but save on the trucking costs as they can get me lower rates when I have to sell.
Marketing is complately a different area of expertise. Working with the companies specialized in this field is the best solution for a farmer, I think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts