The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the foreseeable future we'll be looking to buy a JD 9X30 to pull a set of scrapers for projects, pack silage, plow snow and inevitably do some field work. I was curious if anyone had much of an idea whether it's better to go with a scraper special due to the bit of scraper work or go with an ag tractor to try and get a tractor that hasn't been worked so hard? We currently have a 9520 ag tractor that was used to pull a set of scrapers for, presumably, it's whole life of ~7000 hours before we bought it and you can certainly tell that it's been worked hard.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I never like the feel of a tractor that has pulled a scraper for a large part of it's history. They feel a little loose all over and I've never bought one as a result. They are not that common in Western Canada either. I would buy an ag tractor. They pull scraper well if ballasted properly.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I have a 9520 scraper special that was converted to an ag tractor. It only pulled scrapers for the first 180 hours of its life.

The thing that takes some getting used to is the hydraulic hoses can't be connected under pressure. That means releasing all the pressure before disconnecting the implement. Also, if it matters to you, is there is no float position for the hydraulic valves.

There is no break away on the hydraulic couplers either, so we put 90 degree elbows at the couplers so they would have a place to break.

You probably already know, but scraper special tractors have an E in the serial number.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you. I think we'll try to go with an ag tractor if at all possible, just trying to get a feel for what the biggest differences would be when an ag tractor is used as a scraper tractor or vice versa if need be. Seems scraper specials are quite a bit cheaper as well.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Not sure about others but I suspect scraper models have greaseable centre pivot which is a high wearing part in scraper work. Our scraper work involves a lot of high speed though.(clay spreading ) there is often more hydraulic capacity also. 9420 mine.

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
When I worked for JD one of the guys loved to sell crank rebearing jobs to customers. I must have done 15-20 in one season. Only ones I would say that needed the job done were old scraper tractors. Only 1, maybe 2 were scraper tractors. I do remember the copper was showing on the bearings. A bit of side advice. If someone tries to sell you this work. Get an oil sample done on a regular basis instead. It is a waste of money and you never want to open an engine if not needed. More risk of harm than good. Engines and oils are much better than 30 years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.