The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the recent auto guide system using the higher end accuracy platforms. Experiences good and bad. I was looking at auto steer combine and tractor allowing transfer from one to another . Thank you

· Registered
564 Posts
NowGleaner7,

We used the Autoguide for the first time in the seeding tractor this year using the Omnistar HP signal (10cm). It was very accurate in the short term, but did drift occasionally overnight etc. However, a base station will fix that of course. Others in the area have JD with SF1 and had a lot more problems with accuracy, particulalry drift. Obviously, this is not a fair comparison though as SF2 is the equivalent signal in the JD system. We have just transferred it to our Rogator 854, and I find it quite good at spraying speeds, but it has taken quite a bit of tuning to set it up satisfactorily. The trouble here is that there are not many variables you or I can change form the terminal, a lot of the settings are stored in the VIU (brainbox) as a 'tuneset' which can only be altered by authorised technicians. You can install different tunsets off the data card yourself, but a tech must modify them and then send them to you

We are debating whether to install inour 9790 for harvest or not. We are currently using the Mitron terminal in seeding tractor and sprayer, but could use the GTA Console II already in the combine to operate it. This would be ideal from the leass cab clutter point of view but unfortunately (heres where I get on my soap box) the newerr screen lacks some of the basic features of the older screen, ie. you cant get a coverage map, not all runlines are up on screen only one at a time, no auto field recognition etc. And the biggest negative for me is we are told you cannot have a remote mounted button to activate steering, you have to press the screen every time.

In summary, the Auto guide is a good steering system - will give you accurate staright lines (forget about curves) that is very simple to operate. But, in terms o f features it is a LONG LONG way behind the other systems such as JD and Trimble. Here is a quick list -
Only one boundary per field
No autoboom, paddock recording
No remote button for steering
Small screen (mitron terminal)
Each AB line is regarded as a new field, as such cannot have multiple runlines stored in 1 file

We have stuck with it because we think it will integrate better with AGCO equipment, and are hoping they will catch the competition by improving their software. But if you want to do much more than just steer staight lines in the short term I would consider something like JD.

Oh, the other reason we went with AutoGuide is because they will hydraulically steer most things whereas JD will only steer with their steering wheel unless it is JD steer ready. Hope I have helped?

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Westaus

We will be planting corn in 30" rows (planter), soys and wheat with a drill. I already have autoboom shutoff with my legacy system for spraying . What I need is auto steer for my spray tractor, combine and planting tractor. The cd I got from my dealer showed parallel guidance as well as curved or last pass guidance unless I misunderstood something. I need to be able to follow very precise guidance to follow 30" rows whereas with soys and wheat would not be as critical. Thank You

· Registered
564 Posts
Curve guidance is a feature, but in reality it is a connect the dot scenario. You may find it ok, we have not used it much. In case I wasnt clear, there is no issues with the straight path, it is accurate. You may need RTK for what you want, maybe not. We find Omnistar HP good enough, with the occasional nudge required to allow for drift. If you just want to steer, it is a good system. Nort sure how your legacy system works nut we have just installed a Rinex AS7500 autosection controller which is a standalone unit. We will be exporting an NMEA string from the AutoGuide so it will be as accurate as that. I would suggest if your Legacy has not got the same levle of accuracy it would pay to do the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.