The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I have a DT with a powershift, if you have access to a CVT go for that. I regret purchasing a powershift for a grain cart tractor, the gap is too large between gears. Ive had zero problems with it, but the cvt is alot better option when you have an old timer with tired knees running the cart. I think the transmission is made by fendt, so we know its not a junk manufacturer.

·
Registered
420 Posts
We had an 8280 which had the powershift, this got replaced with an 8480 DynaVT and we have had 2 8600's and have an 8700 on order. We don't keep them out of warranty.

To use the CVT is better than any transmission I have ever used before and as an operator I'd not want to go back to a powershift. The 8480 had transmission problems and I'm not sure who paid for it, but thing Agco warrantied it. The other 7 we have had have been faultless.

From a longevity point of view DynaVT SHOULD be better because it has separate transmission and hydraulic oil supplies so one cannot contaminate the other.

Personally I don't rate full powershifts very highly anyway and think a good semi powershift is better like Dyna Shift. You can get Dyna 6 with that amount of power now, but you didn't tell us your budget.

Ideally CVT, then semi powershift then full powershift.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Did you like the 8280 WillyNilly? Not to highjack the thread but I'm looking at a 1999. It's got the funk ps I believe
I never drove it and it's been gone for 9 years now. It replaced a 7250 Pro Magnum, which is the same as an 8950 and was one of the very last before the MX's were launched. The self employed driver who owed the tractor at the time said it was a major step forward.

Obviously these are old tractors now and it is more important that the tractor you are looking at has been take care of.

The Masseys have served us well in the 12 years we've been running them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We had an 8280 which had the powershift, this got replaced with an 8480 DynaVT and we have had 2 8600's and have an 8700 on order. We don't keep them out of warranty.

To use the CVT is better than any transmission I have ever used before and as an operator I'd not want to go back to a powershift. The 8480 had transmission problems and I'm not sure who paid for it, but thing Agco warrantied it. The other 7 we have had have been faultless.

From a longevity point of view DynaVT SHOULD be better because it has separate transmission and hydraulic oil supplies so one cannot contaminate the other.

Personally I don't rate full powershifts very highly anyway and think a good semi powershift is better like Dyna Shift. You can get Dyna 6 with that amount of power now, but you didn't tell us your budget.

Ideally CVT, then semi powershift then full powershift.
We were leaning toward a powershift ir partial powershift because we have 3 Allis Chalmers tractors with powershift and 2 Agcos with partial powershifts and no trouble with either transmission.

·
Registered
420 Posts
We were leaning toward a powershift ir partial powershift because we have 3 Allis Chalmers tractors with powershift and 2 Agcos with partial powershifts and no trouble with either transmission.

I don't think the powershift or semi (not sure if you are looking at Dynashift or Dyna6 or whatever they are called by that brand) are going to give you trouble. When they were new I'd driven all of the major brands and thought Dynashift was the best semi powershift by some margin. But, the CVT is good. Very good. Seriously, you need to look at that first before you commit to another tractor with gears.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Agco Allis 9735 and 9745, cam with quad shift or 18 speed Funk Ag150.
Agco Allis 9755, 9765, 9775, 9785 had the Funk Ag250, 18 speed.
Agco rt130 and rt145 had the same potions as the 9735/9745.
Agco Dt160, Dt180, Dt200, Dt225 were all Funk Ag250 equipped.
Agco Dt180a, Dt200a, Dt220a, Dt240a were Fendt ML260 CVT tractors.

The tractors with a harsh 9/10 shift were the Agco Allis 9600 series with Funk 9400 18 speed powershifts.

The Funk AG transmissions are good. After 3000 hours it is a good idea to have them rebuilt if you go hear any noise at all. If a bearing fails, the design of the transactions typically leads to significant collateral damage.

The ML260 can be solid for 10,000 hours+ if maintained well an operated properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.