The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a 6620 level land with 4500 hours on it. There is an auction coming up with a sidehill machine that has 4000 hours on it. I could use mine for parts. I was just wondering realistically how many hours you can put on a 20 series combine. How many hours have some of you got on yours? I've seen some with less hours with extreme metal fatigue. I don't mind replacing bearings and augers or any other part that can be unbolted, but I hate welding frame work and sheet metal.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Do you need a sidehill, if so then it would work, but your only talking about 500 hours less, most of the level land will fit the sidehill. I have heard of some that are many more hours then yours, it depends on how much money you want to speed on rebuilting that combine. There was another post about somebody with a high hour combine that he keeps rebuilting it. Combinees, do you know of that person.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Have 3 20 series 1 77 and 2 88's. One 82 8820 has just turned the 6000hr mark, did 200 hrs this year not one stop. Other 87 8820 is at the 5000hr mark, did 200 hrs not one stop. Been keeping the 77 for a backup and it has over 4000. Never had to weld any framework just the odd tin patch here and there. No engine or power train issues for us yet. I think the 66 should outlast them all with the narrow body most of the same bearings if not all. They're like the energizer bunnies. As long as I can keep the old guys in the seats I can build the farm on the backs of these old girls.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Scassell, I don't see why 4,000-5,000 hours is any big deal to any Titan, unless it's just been rather abused. The frame is the strength and backbone of the combine. If you're welding up that--then something extremely severe has happened--and yes, you're going to have shelled bearings, worn drives and other parts. Good grief, regardless of age or hours, if you have that kind of issue with any combine--send it to salvage and replace it!

Otherwise, just good care and maintenance, most Titans, if kept as long, have given their owners at least 10-12K hours of good service. I know it sounds incredible, but I have seen it, and more and more, too--as some of these combines are on the back side of 23 years now, too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yup, I have one combine for my 1000 acre farm. Its an '87 8820 Titan II. Just about done harvest this year, just 50 acres left, due to weather. I tell ya what, I LOVe this old combine! It has 4200 hours on it now, and I have ran it three years. I have had very little trouble. Mostly worn tin, that was quite easily repaired. A few bearings and chains, but thats to be expected. I do 7 to 10 acres an hour with it, and cant see how it can be so close to some of the new iron. Some of the numbers guys are posting for capacities on some of the new stuff, I cant see where the 300 grand is. I paid 18500, paid cash, and it owes me nothing. Id like to get another one, just the same, for a spare. That way, I never miss a day to mechanical issues. Big farms must hate to pay that rediculous money for lousy iron. My neighbour has a 580 lexion, and I think it might be the first combine that actually impressed me a bit. IT eats up the canola. I plan to run these old 8820s till they are garbage. Hopefully thats 8000 hours plus

1 - 5 of 5 Posts