The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to use AgOpenGps for planting. The idea that would suit us is the following. We plot a line (AB Line) and then specify the end point. This then makes all lines to drive. Making the AB Line succeeds, but the x number of plant beds not. Can someone help me deal with this?

Example of the idea is the Youtube video 'Self Driving AB lines' from FarmerBrianTee. However, the button (Helicopter tab, Generate button) is disabled in my version (AG 2019-05-07).

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "x number of plant beds". Let's say you were planting corn with a 12 row planter. Are you looking for the row numbers to be listed on the screen so that your first AB-line would have 12 "sub lines" (1-12) noting where the rows of corn are and then your second AB line would have rows 13-24. What I've done before is make sections for rows but this doesn't make anything paint on screen.

Is what you're looking for in the picture below?

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wilbert, I'm probably right off track but I read heaky's question as trying to do something different, like in vegetable beds where each bed is 1 a-b line pass, and wants to divide the width of field evenly.

If so just measure width of field, divide by width of machine, then round down to next even number of passes, divide field width by answer to set as machine width.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

Think APM is in the right direction. We plant 1 bed (1.5 meters wide) very slowly at a time. Small tractor (Shibaura SE3040) with two plant trolleys behind it, in which people plant by hand. Hope this clarifies it.

How can we record an AB line from a starting point and then have the rest of the beds drawn? So that we can drive straight from bed to bed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Think APM is in the right direction. We plant 1 bed (1.5 meters wide) very slowly at a time. Small tractor (Shibaura SE3040) with two plant trolleys behind it, in which people plant by hand. Hope this clarifies it.

How can we record an AB line from a starting point and then have the rest of the beds drawn? So that we can drive straight from bed to bed.
Maybe set the section width to the distance from center to center of planting beds (perhaps 1,5 m). You could set 1 section 150 cm. You can find it under Vehicle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 1 section at 150cm. So my tool width is now 150cm.

When I draw my AB line the view is ok. I see my AB line with 2 blue center lines left and two at the right. When I move to the next bed at the right, the view also moves to the right. Is it possible to draw all center lines allready and keep that always in my view?

Like the youtube video I mentioned in my first post.

·
Registered
107 Posts

When I draw my AB line the view is ok. I see my AB line with 2 blue center lines left and two at the right. When I move to the next bed at the right, the view also moves to the right. Is it possible to draw all center lines allready and keep that always in my view?

I missed the video info! But i think I get it now, you would like to be able to jump to a specific bed and plant that one. Perhaps have Collecting "roads" every 6 th.(or so) planting bed. So at least we need to be able to see what number bed (to the right or left of the first bed) we are driving in at , just as we see in the picture earlier.
As it is now you could "prepare" the field for the 6 beds one road version(choose your own version), by setting 7 sections of 150 cm, then drive/apply the field with the center section off, save the field and reopen, then again set only one section of 150 cm. This way it would be easier to navigate around the field.

·
Registered
212 Posts

This feature is already built in somewhat. I had a similar question in the past. If your tool width is 150cm and you start your AB line at one end of the field (your start point) it will be AB line 0 and all the other ones will be numbered (See yellow circle) I don't think you can have all the AB lines displayed at once but at least you can use the number to navigate to the the plant bed you want. See below also see Brian's video on tramlines (tramlines set with red circle below).

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still looking for a way to make it more visual what we are doing. Found this picture in the video 'Self Driving AB lines' from BrianTee. The lines he generates keeps on the screen. Would it be possible to make a Boundary, set an AB-line, specify how many paths you want and specify the tramline details and then generate a view to work with?

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Still looking for a way to make it more visual what we are doing. Found this picture in the video 'Self Driving AB lines' from BrianTee. The lines he generates keeps on the screen. Would it be possible to make a Boundary, set an AB-line, specify how many paths you want and specify the tramline details and then generate a view to work with?

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. But by making the guidelines multiple you can see a bunch of them. Attached is a snapshot of the Simple ABC system but the code edit is the same. The lower snapshot is the code change to add to the CABLine file. The yellow arrows are what I added. It places 200 lines. It can be any number of lines, even selectable if needed. There is probably a way to trim them at the boundary, But the simple version does not have boundaries.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Not sure if this is what you are looking for. But by making the guidelines multiple you can see a bunch of them. Attached is a snapshot of the Simple ABC system but the code edit is the same. The lower snapshot is the code change to add to the CABLine file. The yellow arrows are what I added. It places 200 lines. It can be any number of lines, even selectable if needed. There is probably a way to trim them at the boundary, But the simple version does not have boundaries.

Kent, can you attach that code into a text file and attach please? How about we just use it and give you credit if that's ok with you. It's a great idea. Did you try it with tool offset?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@kent_stuff Looks really nice! Thanks for your input! Only thing I'm missing is the logic of the tramlines. I our case we use for planting in repeat: 6 paths of 1.5m and then 1 path of 1.8m for spraying.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Kent, can you attach that code into a text file and attach please? How about we just use it and give you credit if that's ok with you. It's a great idea. Did you try it with tool offset?

This portion of the code is attached. I did run up the tool offset until I got the error. My machine is set for 12". I'm not sure where the cut off is, but about 48" it causes an error.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
This portion of the code is attached. I did run up the tool offset until I got the error. My machine is set for 12". I'm not sure where the cut off is, but about 48" it causes an error.

Once there is offset, it doesn't take that into account past the first line of the for loop unfortunately. Want to give it another shot?

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
@kent_stuff Looks really nice! Thanks for your input! Only thing I'm missing is the logic of the tramlines. I our case we use for planting in repeat: 6 paths of 1.5m and then 1 path of 1.8m for spraying.

I think the same concept would work.

Something like this:

for (int i=1;i<=6;i++)
{
toolWidth = toolWidth + 1.5;
(draw the vertex)
}

toolWidth = toolWidth +1.8;
(draw the vertex)
(go back to the top and do it again) as many times as you need to.

This only draws the guide lines. You will need to jump your ABline over a set distance of 10.8m for spraying. And 1.5m for planting 6 rows, then offset 1.8M and go again.

I was testing the GPS system in the car with a small tool width, (trying to put tire track in tire track.) I was having problems on the U-turn finding where I needed to be, since the ABLine kept updating based on where I was. I needed the line to be where I needed it, not where I was. (I think there is a sermon in that.) When you don't have auto steer and you have a small tool width, it is hard to stay on the ABLine. Doze off or get a phone call and you'll be way off and still be on an ABLine. That's why I made the Sticky AB button. To force the ABline to stay where I needed it. This offset can be set to what you want.

The picture below has just implemented a row jump. The autosteer is headed that way. Look for the phrase "Howmanypathsaway" in Brian's program. If you skip this step, you can make the ABLine stick where you are and then offset it where you need it.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Once there is offset, it doesn't take that into account past the first line of the for loop unfortunately. Want to give it another shot?

Looks like the first one is wrong and then it gets right on the second set. See the attached. When you line up the tools it gets back on the ABLine. I'll work on it again and see what we can do.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts

Brian,
Try this one. If I understand right, the ABLine is where the tractor is, not the tool. So offset is a mute issue. Is that correct? If so, then we update the toolWidth after we draw each set of lines and BINGO.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Brian,
Try this one. If I understand right, the ABLine is where the tractor is, not the tool. So offset is a mute issue. Is that correct? If so, then we update the toolWidth after we draw each set of lines and BINGO.

Nope, still not. Isn't programming fun!

This would be ok if you were always going the same way across the field, but since we go back and forth the guidance lines need a pair close together, and a pair far apart. So you can see in the picture below the next AB Line should be really close to the left side and way out on the right side. The second picture shows how the original code made the lines, you just need to figure out how to replicate that pattern over and over across the field.
You can see UTurn also has to figure that out, as does contour guidance. You need to know which way you are going with respect to the direction of the original AB Line.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nope, still not. Isn't programming fun!

This would be ok if you were always going the same way across the field, but since we go back and forth the guidance lines need a pair close together, and a pair far apart. So you can see in the picture below the next AB Line should be really close to the left side and way out on the right side. The second picture shows how the original code made the lines, you just need to figure out how to replicate that pattern over and over across the field.
You can see UTurn also has to figure that out, as does contour guidance. You need to know which way you are going with respect to the direction of the original AB Line.

Ok, I see. I think it was you that said, "programing is easy, expecting what will happen in the field is the hard part." Or, something like that. I'll try again. Just looking at it now, looks like draw all the "North" facing lines, then step over and draw all the "South" facing lines. Or whatever angle everything is going. I'm glad this is just guidance lines and not the others. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Back to the question at hand. I'll post a separate reply.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Heaky,
What is great about Brian's work is that it is open source. It can be specialized to do what you want it to do. I took another stab at the paths that you were needing. It will do it, but you will have to customize it. Here is some pictures of the computer screen and the text to make it do it. The ABLine is turned off in these pictures. Not by the button but by the code. If all you need is a line to get on and a place not to plant then this would work. A whole lot more to get the ABLine to move to here. Since all of this is based on the reference point, you have to figure a way to "setNewRefPoint." This is in the spray path on this one. Getting distances and such to the current line could look something like: How many spray paths are we away, then what plant path are we closest to.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts