The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are running a agopen group in Germany/Austria with more than 200 members. If you read the group you might think this all is not working because only members with problems are asking questions.

So I had the idea to make a group with success stories of running systems.

Here is the link.

t.me/Agopenerfolge

And here one of our last videos:


Please also use this Thread to post such Stories!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
I'm happy right now. Was able to use my AgOpen setup over the last 2 days to do the steering while planting corn. First field was a bit rough as I was trying to get everything tuned in an set up right. After some tuning of the steering parameters, I've been very happy with it. The Auto U-turn is the best feature as all I have to worry about it raising the planter (manual SCV's) and downshifting to make it less bumpy.

The Basics of my setup:
New Holland T6030 with White 6 row planter
F9P-C099 Ublox evaluation board and antenna , getting RTK corrections through AgOpen from the Ohio CORS
Lenovo Flex 14 w/Touchscreen
Phidgets 3269-3 motor
Dog2 inclinometer
No IMU
Cytron 30A motor Driver, fed via a 12 -> 24 V step-up convertor
Delphi ER10031 wheel angle sensors, feeding into ADS1115 mounted inside the cab.
Proximity switch wired in for the work switch ( need to rethink this as it's too easy for a bump or little variation to create enough movement to turn it off)
24V - 5V converter to power the Arduino and GPS
USB hub, a bunch of misc wiring and a project box to mount it all in.
When said and done, I only have one USB wire running into the computer.

It's amazing what the parts feeding into AgOpen can do. The F9P is rock solid and I was able to run for ~8hours without any issues in the code.

A few things I did learn:
1. It's important to have good, clean boundaries. I made the boundaries as I was planting the opening rounds. The corners got a little funky where I had to pause, turn and restart. This affected my u-turn boundaries for a couple turns near the corners.
2. It's important to get the right filtering on the roll and autosteer. At first, I tried to have very minimal roll filtering and it was just chasing itself. My tractor is not huge, so it naturally bounces around going down the field. As I increased the Kalman filtering, it started workgin much better to take out the 'field noise' and just compensate for the macro tilt.
3. Same with autosteering settings. Getting them right (and I'm probably not there yet) takes some time.
4. I need to get a better work switch configuration as it was too sensitive. I liked the idea of a no-moving parts prox. Need to see if I can get one that has a bigger sensing distance as the one I have need to almost have the tip touching metal. Any air gap and it will turn off.
5. Id' like to find a motor without gear reduction. There are a few times, like when maneuvering at the field opening corners or going to refill fertilizer that it would be better to be able to just turn the wheel with leaving the motor engaged. The gear reduction puts a lot of resistance and makes that not real practical.

Here's a couple short video clips from last night.
following the A-B line:

U-turn at the end of the field in the dark:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
1984 Massey 4840 with centimeter precision seeding into last year's green manure crop.

Agopengps is breathing life into our old iron.

Also a pic of our solution for mounting the wheel angle sensor on an articulating tractor.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Kale planted at 0,8 km/h and pumpkin seeded at 2km/h, I am a very happy man. Days with 500+ minutes of NTRIP listening and Agopengps keeps going!
Should have picked bigger boxes, the wires make it into a mess. A reminder why the autosteer PCB is a great idea!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
My 2nd attempt in the field this morning. I've only tried pure pursuit so far. See the pics and youtube video. Sorry for the shaky & blurry video, we don't have a camera tripod on the sprayer yet, ha ha.


AgOpenGPS Dev - 2019 06
Acer Switch Alpha 12
Arduino UNO w/ W5100 Ethernet shield
L298 motor controller
Piksi Multi GPS receiver w/ Freewave RTK radio
Old WRT router running DD-WRT firmware
Parker Proportional/Directional hydraulic valve

The Piksi GPS receiver was running RTK with correction coming from another Piksi at the farm yard (up to 2 miles away). The purpose of the WRT router is act as an ethernet switch for all the components and provide internet connectivity when close enough to the yard's wifi. The Parker valve is a single coil proportional & directional valve which needs about 1.4 amps at ~4.5 V to center, then +- from there to adjust the flow in the respective direction. The Arduino outputs a steady PWM to the L298 for centering the valve when not autosteering, and a variable PWM accordingly while autosteering. The Switch Alpha 12 tablet uses a 12V to 19V booster for charging/power and I use a passive PoE injector kit to send the 19V to the tablet.

The Parker valve seems to have a variable deadband in the middle so I compensate by setting my autosteer pid settings a little on the switchy side. This causes some GPS oscillations because wiggling the steering axle back and forth causes the front end to wiggle and I'm not using any terrain compensation so the rough terrain and air ride suspension add to the GPS fluctuations. My plan is to move to an arduSimple dual receiver setup in the future.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top