The Combine Forum banner

2061 - 2080 of 4139 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have to agree with Warren, 300 dollar tablet and 200 or so in hardware is cheap. Gps of course is as expensive as you want depending on your accuracy preferences and that goes for any system. I am running it in a small cabin full of rate contrllers,another gps system and still have room for a cup holder. Features to price you can not beat AOG and regardless of the system there are always cables and sensors to work with.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,062
I've given your work a little test-run, and I wonder how much assistance you get from the community. Maybe you should add a gitter.im chat channel to your github project, that would give a specific talk channel for code development. Some projects I follow have gained a boost in development just by being more "close" to the devs and users through a chat.

The biggest problem for me with AoG is that the terminal hardware is expensive and clumsy for a tractor cabin. Let alone the powering and USB connectors.

What hardware/interconnect/powering do you suggest is less expensive and not so clumsy?

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
The only thing I find clumsy about a tablet is the lack of hard-wired interface ports on the tablet. I find bluetooth to be a bit unreliable. Not in terms of running or performance, but in terms of setup. Sometimes after booting up I have to re-discover the bluetooth devices and Windows won't always assign com ports in the same order. Using wired USB devices is a bit awkward too, because of the need for a hub with its own power supply.

These issues may have been what Svenn was getting at.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've given your work a little test-run, and I wonder how much assistance you get from the community. Maybe you should add a gitter.im chat channel to your github project, that would give a specific talk channel for code development. Some projects I follow have gained a boost in development just by being more "close" to the devs and users through a chat.

The biggest problem for me with AoG is that the terminal hardware is expensive and clumsy for a tractor cabin. Let alone the powering and USB connectors.
Well I'm only in for uk £150 for 'terminal hardware' ...(z83 mini computer ssd so no hard disc issue & 10" Touchscreen monitor)

Clumsy:.... no more than having any monitor mounted on side rail or in front of steering wheel !

Powering:... my mini computer and screen take 12v direct from a plug fitted to most tractors of this century!

USB:.. any plug will have problems if you don't take care of vibration/strain relief.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
The only thing I find clumsy about a tablet is the lack of hard-wired interface ports on the tablet. I find bluetooth to be a bit unreliable. Not in terms of running or performance, but in terms of setup. Sometimes after booting up I have to re-discover the bluetooth devices and Windows won't always assign com ports in the same order. Using wired USB devices is a bit awkward too, because of the need for a hub with its own power supply.

These issues may have been what Svenn was getting at.
My z83 mini has 2 usb2's and 1 usb3 all full size + full size network plug.
12v to 5v converter cheap for powering critical things like steering Arduino and fully hard wired, wouldn't want to rely on USB to power stuff.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I got a acer 10" tablet from wallyworld that has 2 usb2.0 and a 3.0 usb. Everything needed for AOG atm:). I do like Peters setup though and will probably do the same as his on the tractor.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,067
Latest version - still 2.7 - on Github.

* Proportional and multiplier now instead of PID - since ID only caused grief, they are used for other purposes now. There is P and the P Multiplier. The two are just mulitplied together to achieve final P

* D is used for roll gain to add to steering. Values from 0 to 24, with 24 being lots and lots of steering added based on roll, 0 being nothing.

* I is just disabled for now, still figuring out an effective way to use I to add bit of steering to keep on track. Will be another update.

* Added GPHDT to parsing, Andreas request to include in parsing.

* Fixed edge case not added to pre calc calclist in Headland class, ******* of a bug.

* Auto Steer chart has actual and setpoint steer angles. This is so effective to see what is going on with steering. It is highly visual to exactly what is happening and any changes are shown very well. Best of the whole update is this feature.

AutoSteer. ino - where do i even begin.

I kept a copy of the old Autosteer for reference. The changes are to reflect the differences in AOG

* Values sent back are now steering actual and setpoint, the rest is the same.
* Kd is used for roll gain - 0 to 24 for its effect, you can climb with this to correct draft on sidehills to your hearts content.
* PID.ino has only P in it now with I and D commented out - its only a few lines long now.

* Less settings is far less confusing.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
My z83 mini has 2 usb2's and 1 usb3 all full size + full size network plug.
12v to 5v converter cheap for powering critical things like steering Arduino and fully hard wired, wouldn't want to rely on USB to power stuff.
How do you manage booting and up and shutting down the computer? To me these power management issues have always been the sticky part about using computers in vehicles. To be usable for average users, it needs to boot up when the key is turned on, and run AOG, and then when the key is turned off, shut down cleanly.

In this area, the tablet is superior because it has it's own battery, can sleep and wake easily, etc.

·
Registered
788 Posts
How do you manage booting and up and shutting down the computer? To me these power management issues have always been the sticky part about using computers in vehicles. To be usable for average users, it needs to boot up when the key is turned on, and run AOG, and then when the key is turned off, shut down cleanly.

In this area, the tablet is superior because it has it's own battery, can sleep and wake easily, etc.
i did also have problems with power - my solutions are:

a) hard power the tablet/laptop to tractors - so there is always power to the laptop

b) i did disable all power management things links standby, hibernate, screen off - made many problems with usb connections

c) add agopgengps to autostart folder

d) my only power settings are: pressing power button and run out of power = windows shutdown

e) i did change the save dialog in agopengps so if like in d) agopgengps do not ask me if i want to save or resume - it automatic stores the opend field and so windows can
shutdown automatic

f) i would be cool if agopen opens last field after restart (or it ask for this)

what i always see . if i turn power on to my cytron controller when windows is on - the usb connections do not work - it says no usb - so i need to unplug and connect new
maybe Ethernet will help - or i need something like a usb Isolator between usb and laptop

·
Registered
788 Posts
form steer.cs - line 268

please allow more countsperdegree for use with 16bit analog sensor

- if (mf.mc.autoSteerSettings[mf.mc.ssCountsPerDegree] > 50) mf.mc.autoSteerSettings[mf.mc.ssCountsPerDegree] = 50;
+ if (mf.mc.autoSteerSettings[mf.mc.ssCountsPerDegree] > 250) mf.mc.autoSteerSettings[mf.mc.ssCountsPerDegree] = 250;

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,071 (Edited)
How many counts do you need?

Just delete the ifs all together in both the ++ and -- of the button events, then when you go below 0 it goes to 255. I will include in next update - which won't be long. Finally found the bug that caused the headland to be regenerated by eq widths losing the manually entered headland when clicking angle inclusion spinner.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Agreed power up/down is something I need to look at.
At the moment I just turn monitor off, leaving computer running....1 week is longest its being left so far and tractor still started!!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts

Just delete the ifs all together in both the ++ and -- of the button events, then when you go below 0 it goes to 255. I will include in next update - which won't be long. Finally found the bug that caused the headland to be regenerated by eq widths losing the manually entered headland when clicking angle inclusion spinner.
Mmmm was scheming last night... using a 2000 count per rev encoder and making it turn 4 times lock to lock.... just need to figure how to keep it counting/know its position?

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,074

·
Registered
788 Posts

Y
I read about 25500 counts are 12750 each side divided with max 40 degrees steer angle is about 300 counts.

Because of installing is not possible to read 100% of sensor - so 255 counts should be enough..

·
Registered
788 Posts
Just get an ABZ encoder like this. Set up the Z to interrupt the arduino and that becomes your zero. No noise, no a/d. Can post more code if you wish on how to use quad detector, and 1 input to count up/down.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-OMRON-2500P-Incremental-Rotary-Encoder-2500p-r-12-24V-DC-E6B2-CWZ5B-PNP/152873601670?epid=1841813925&hash=item2397fa0a86:g:SosAAOSwJ71aYu~W
is an option - but most European tractors are already equipped with an wheel angle sensor (hall)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Just get an ABZ encoder like this. Set up the Z to interrupt the arduino and that becomes your zero. No noise, no a/d. Can post more code if you wish on how to use quad detector, and 1 input to count up/down.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-OMRON-2500P-Incremental-Rotary-Encoder-2500p-r-12-24V-DC-E6B2-CWZ5B-PNP/152873601670?epid=1841813925&hash=item2397fa0a86:g:SosAAOSwJ71aYu~W
I think that is the way how cerea software Handels the optical Decoder on steering motor ..

If it sees that the tractor is going straight forward it sets a new zero point for,the steering.

Other german user report that cerea is working now with last update very good - with no steering angle sensor

·
Registered
74 Posts

Ha..that's the one I was looking at last night!
If you have code Brian, that would be great.

·
Registered
165 Posts
2000 count per rev divided by 360 results in 5,5 Counts per Degree, is this an Advatage? (knuckles installation)
Maybe 4 turns lock to lock is even better, but some gears are needed and how will you decide which Interrupt out of 4 is the right one?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Latest version - still 2.7 - on Github.

* Proportional and multiplier now instead of PID - since ID only caused grief, they are used for other purposes now. There is P and the P Multiplier. The two are just mulitplied together to achieve final P

* D is used for roll gain to add to steering. Values from 0 to 24, with 24 being lots and lots of steering added based on roll, 0 being nothing.

* I is just disabled for now, still figuring out an effective way to use I to add bit of steering to keep on track. Will be another update.

* Added GPHDT to parsing, Andreas request to include in parsing.

* Fixed edge case not added to pre calc calclist in Headland class, ******* of a bug.

* Auto Steer chart has actual and setpoint steer angles. This is so effective to see what is going on with steering. It is highly visual to exactly what is happening and any changes are shown very well. Best of the whole update is this feature.

AutoSteer. ino - where do i even begin.

I kept a copy of the old Autosteer for reference. The changes are to reflect the differences in AOG

* Values sent back are now steering actual and setpoint, the rest is the same.
* Kd is used for roll gain - 0 to 24 for its effect, you can climb with this to correct draft on sidehills to your hearts content.
* PID.ino has only P in it now with I and D commented out - its only a few lines long now.

* Less settings is far less confusing.

Enjoy!
if i unterstand - if i use dual antenna for roll or roll from emlid reach - code for position.designer would be:

Code:
 if (ahrs.isHeadingPAOGI)
            {
                guidanceLineSteerAngle = (short)(guidanceLineSteerAngle + (pn.nRoll * (mc.ssKd/24)));
            }

2061 - 2080 of 4139 Posts