The Combine Forum banner

3821 - 3840 of 4139 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes. I only come to this forum as a last resort, not because of the people (any time I've been on it's been very helpful), but because the format is absolutely painful to learn anything in or figure out what the current state of the project is/ current components. Ortner's docuwiki was instrumental when I set up last year because navigating this mess was impossible, but it looks like it's getting out of date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Even bigger question, has DIY Ag outgrown Combine Forum?

Maybe it would be better with it´s own forum, but that would not change the problem with finding out the current state, because people will always ask all sorts of questions relating to the project, no matter the forum name.
I agree that the wiki is good, and also need to be updated, but I believe that is comming, but there has been rapid changes the last 6 months. The wiki should be the place where you get all the how to info.
I think there should be a new part of wiki that fits the PCB system, leaving the posibillity to read the old stuff for those still using non pcb system.
Ortner has done a great job already, and the german translated version is even more detailed ( but perhaps not updated lately, so now you get the info " not translated " if you go there from the new wiki)

·
Registered
27 Posts
All here, thanks for the software and the updates. Modified the simulator slightly and working on some of the deeper programing and math. Attached is a screen shot of what I've been working on. Setting up a basic guidance system in my father's sprayer this weekend. No autosteer yet, but replacing a broken Raven guidance system. It was my working on the Raven system a few months ago that I found and began to manipulate Brian's program. Finally Raven broke for good. The touch screen went out and cannot find a replacement. Raven wants $170/hr plus parts. His new system should come in less than $300 with buying a new tablet. Anyway, thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post

Maybe it would be better with it´s own forum, but that would not change the problem with finding out the current state, because people will always ask all sorts of questions relating to the project, no matter the forum name.
I agree that the wiki is good, and also need to be updated, but I believe that is comming, but there has been rapid changes the last 6 months. The wiki should be the place where you get all the how to info.
I think there should be a new part of wiki that fits the PCB system, leaving the posibillity to read the old stuff for those still using non pcb system.
Ortner has done a great job already, and the german translated version is even more detailed ( but perhaps not updated lately, so now you get the info " not translated " if you go there from the new wiki)

In the end, the issue is that every (every) question, code discussion, crackpot notion, birthday wish, person, information past and present is stuffed into 400 pages of one thread with no coherent train of thought and conflicting information. NO doubt questions get asked multiple times, because who can possibly find the last time it was answered clearly, and what's the best way today?

New threads for each question or comment is the only way to allow multiple lines of discussion from not stomping each other into noise. Github issues is there for a reason and is used by probably hundreds of thousands because it works for code issues and bugfixes. Things like posts in subreddits work for specific interests (the rest of the site is a dumpster fire) because they have a finite lifespan, answered and fade away, and are able to be searched up and read by anyone for that specific problem. I moderate a few subs there and they are excellent for helping people figure out their issues and get information from others about a topic. Communities develop and you learn to trust certain posters that know what they're on about. There's a wiki function there as well and I've used that for subs I mod and let anyone update it if they're interested.

Forums work as well ie: jeepforum.com. A wiki is essential, I'll guarantee more than half of the people that have done this have done if via Ortners wiki because it is the first item that comes up in Google.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I Would say yes it has, it could benefit from its own forum/mods that can weed topics and move things posted like the question above to its own thread where it would get the attention it deserves.

Cheers,
Joe

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've just done a build and been getting my head around the software the last couple of days. It's quite amazing. I did come up with a couple of Q's/potential suggestion. Not sure of the feasibility...

We run centre pivot irrigation on our farm. So I've been experimenting with AB curves, but I've come to the conclusion it wasn't coded for perfect circles? As you can see in photos, the 1st AB curve is driven right on the wheel track as a perfect arc, but as the subsequent AB curves are created, they don't mirror the original AB curve. High overlap at the starts and bows outwards in the middle. More extreme the longer the curve. What do you guys think about the creation of a pivot function? Perhaps another button or an additional option in the AB curve settings? John Deere does a version where you have an A point about 100mm off the wheel track, drive to the end of the curve (or drive the whole wheel track, can't remember), sit your implement 100mm from the wheel track and set your B point. Then, because you can assume circular geometry, geocentric guidance lines could be generated off the wheel tracks. What do you think? Not sure how many people use pivots here.

Also, would it be possible to make it so that Uturn guidance changes between pure P and Stanley as you click the pure P/Stanley button? I think at the moment the uturn is Stanley only. We can only get Uturn to work with pure P on our rear steered vehicles. I hope to be one of the guys offering the code one day! Sorry.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,828 (Edited)
I've just done a build and been getting my head around the software the last couple of days. It's quite amazing. I did come up with a couple of Q's/potential suggestion. Not sure of the feasibility...

We run centre pivot irrigation on our farm. So I've been experimenting with AB curves, but I've come to the conclusion it wasn't coded for perfect circles? As you can see in photos, the 1st AB curve is driven right on the wheel track as a perfect arc, but as the subsequent AB curves are created, they don't mirror the original AB curve. High overlap at the starts and bows outwards in the middle. More extreme the longer the curve. What do you guys think about the creation of a pivot function? Perhaps another button or an additional option in the AB curve settings? John Deere does a version where you have an A point about 100mm off the wheel track, drive to the end of the curve (or drive the whole wheel track, can't remember), sit your implement 100mm from the wheel track and set your B point. Then, because you can assume circular geometry, geocentric guidance lines could be generated off the wheel tracks. What do you think? Not sure how many people use pivots here.

Also, would it be possible to make it so that Uturn guidance changes between pure P and Stanley as you click the pure P/Stanley button? I think at the moment the uturn is Stanley only. We can only get Uturn to work with pure P on our rear steered vehicles. I hope to be one of the guys offering the code one day! Sorry.

Correct, curve will definitely not work with a circle, only a bit of a bendy type line.

You are also correct, I need to add the software back in for pure pursuit on you turn - or at least figure out why StanLee doesn't work in rear steer for the uturn. That is kind of odd since it works in AB.

Edit: Uploaded the fixed version in Dev and stable versions -- it does PP and StanLee for the uturn now. Oops, i missed that, thx for finding that.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Are people building their own Ntrip base stations, and if so, what are you using for that? I've seen https://github.com/Francklin2/RTKLIB_Touchscreen_GUI this one out there, it seemed like a usable project.
I've been running a Swift Piksi Multi as a fixed base at the farm and just recently setup SNIP as a ntrip caster on my windows desktop. Eventually I'll move to my headless Linux server.

I'm not sure why you'd need a GUI, just SSH into the pi or run a web based config. Most of the time it'll just sit there and do it's thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been running a Swift Piksi Multi as a fixed base at the farm and just recently setup SNIP as a ntrip caster on my windows desktop. Eventually I'll move to my headless Linux server.

I'm not sure why you'd need a GUI, just SSH into the pi or run a web based config. Most of the time it'll just sit there and do it's thing.

The GUI isn't really important, but it looked like a simple implementation of the rtklib to push a correction base up to rtk2go, I'm open to a simpler setup where I can just slap an M8T on a pi, fix a conf file, and start a daemon. Nothing is popping up in my searching like that.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The GUI isn't really important, but it looked like a simple implementation of the rtklib to push a correction base up to rtk2go, I'm open to a simpler setup where I can just slap an M8T on a pi, fix a conf file, and start a daemon. Nothing is popping up in my searching like that.
Google snip ntrip Ubuntu install.
That might work on a Pi too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Would you not be better M9p as base?
I have a couple of M8t's I had planned to use as a base and rover...but now thinking M9p as base and using M8t's as dual antenna rover!
That would then give me option to add more M9p with the advantage L1 & L2 reception gives.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Would you not be better M9p as base?
I have a couple of M8t's I had planned to use as a base and rover...but now thinking M9p as base and using M8t's as dual antenna rover!
That would then give me option to add more M9p with the advantage L1 & L2 reception gives.

You mean the ZED-F9P? Yah, I looked at that, didn't care for the price comparatively. this base station will be sitting in one spot for the forseeable future, if it gets itself down to 20cm I'd be happy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Google snip ntrip Ubuntu install.
That might work on a Pi too.

I did find this one: https://github.com/nunojpg/ntripserver It seems fairly old but seems like it should work.

My understanding is that Snip is trial software in any case and is closed source, and the Lite version doesn't support V2 ntrip, though I'm not sure that's a deal breaker for these purposes anyway.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I did find this one: https://github.com/nunojpg/ntripserver It seems fairly old but seems like it should work.

My understanding is that Snip is trial software in any case and is closed source, and the Lite version doesn't support V2 ntrip, though I'm not sure that's a deal breaker for these purposes anyway.
It looks to me like this software is only a server, it connects a serial or network data stream from your base station receiver to the NTRIP Caster. You could use RTK2Go as your caster or again, the lite version of SNIP.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It looks to me like this software is only a server, it connects a serial or network data stream from your base station receiver to the NTRIP Caster. You could use RTK2Go as your caster or again, the lite version of SNIP.

That was pretty much my thought, the server lets you set the caster address/port and the mount name.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tilt correction in the false direction / Downhill

Hello Brian, and the Ag open community.

After a few stakes with the Stanley metode I noticed the following:

On a straight Ground / Field, the whole thing works really nice :).

But we have some very hilly fields.

Here Agopen needs the tilt correction. The problem is that the tilt correction (Sidehill draft Grain) steers in the wrong direction.
So downhill what the deviation then, of course, additionally increased.

The tilt in the working view is displayed correctly.
Only the steering correction for tilt compensation is going in the wrong direction.

I used the Dev. version downloaded 6.7.19, in the German community but reported that the error is also present in the new version.

Or is the problem already known and resolved?

I use an Arduino with Autosteerswitch Sketch via Usb and Ibt2 + Mma, Bno

Thanks for help

3821 - 3840 of 4139 Posts