The Combine Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Sorry if I have dumb questions and maybe I'm looking at this too hard, I don't really wanna be that guy that cut corners and end up having to buy one again 3 years down the road cause I didn't do it right the first time

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
I am a phantom rookie and it's my only drone so don't know differences between brands. I don't think you can change cameras on a phantom. Video has some flicker in them and color doesn't seem to be accurate but maybe it's because I have been flying in trees with it. Still photos are very high quality. I don't think there is any Ag programs out for them.
I am going to have to dig it back up but there is a place setting up the Phantom 3 for ag use, may have been an older video I watched, was going to get the link for you but I messed something but I will dig a bit to find that

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I am going to have to dig it back up but there is a place setting up the Phantom 3 for ag use, may have been an older video I watched, was going to get the link for you but I messed something but I will dig a bit to find that
I use my works phantom 3 w the 4k camera. I use it mainly to see drown out spots for ditching. No corn here so vr n is not worth while? There are 3rd party programs that work w this to create the vr maps. Also another for topography, think accurate less than 2 inches. Know a guy in surveying and says it's big in mining industry. Puts literally weeks of work into a single day, hence big price until more competition. I plan on digging around for a topography demo. Think this unti is $2,000 all said and done.

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
The camera on the Phantom is a real camera, not a go pro toy.

Also 3DR the company is in financial difficulties... another thing to consider.

I was researching drones for quite a while and ended up with a P3 pro, with two larger batteries, a stronger antenna, and a few other tweaks.

I also have my industry canada license so I can fly it higher.

Resolution is done by altitude. The higher you fly, the less pictures it takes to cover a quarter, and the quicker you can do it.

mapping is done by stitching images together.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
The camera on the Phantom is a real camera, not a go pro toy.

Also 3DR the company is in financial difficulties... another thing to consider.

I was researching drones for quite a while and ended up with a P3 pro, with two larger batteries, a stronger antenna, and a few other tweaks.

I also have my industry canada license so I can fly it higher.

Resolution is done by altitude. The higher you fly, the less pictures it takes to cover a quarter, and the quicker you can do it.

mapping is done by stitching images together.
Now that's kinda odd about the camera, all the reviews I have read say the hero 4 black on the 3DR is far better and was worth the shorter battery life

Wonder how that will turn out with Agco selling them if they are in difficult times, I agree that is kinda scary

How high can you fly that thing with a license vs without?

Does it limit you or are you just subject to trouble if you go too high? I think I could get by doing about anything down here, FAA sure don't like them in a farmers hand but I'll worry about that when they are standing on my doorstep I guess

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
My wife's into photography and I bought her the PP3 back when you had to wait on pre-order as a kit with 3 battery's and a hard case. It's been an awesome machine and never thought we'd use it like we do. Didn't take long before we did the altitude hack and have some amazing shots. It's rare we leave home anywhere without it.

The camera and gimble on the PP3 are deadly. If your can stand fisheye then the hero camera's are all right but on an aerial drone IMO the phantom camera is way better.

Main use so far on the farm has been for drainage and crop checking. Don't have any plans crop imaging and fertility adjustments ect and can't comment on that at all. If that's your goal then there is likely better options out there.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
My wife's into photography and I bought her the PP3 back when you had to wait on pre-order as a kit with 3 battery's and a hard case. It's been an awesome machine and never thought we'd use it like we do. Didn't take long before we did the altitude hack and have some amazing shots. It's rare we leave home anywhere without it.

The camera and gimble on the PP3 are deadly. If your can stand fisheye then the hero camera's are all right but on an aerial drone IMO the phantom camera is way better.

Main use so far on the farm has been for drainage and crop checking. Don't have any plans crop imaging and fertility adjustments ect and can't comment on that at all. If that's your goal then there is likely better options out there.
From my experience with GoPro witch isn't much as I used one sledding in the mountains is that there is a holy crap wide angle option, like a 174° and if you go with that setting it does give that effect, there is 2 other settings that work well though

I am kinda looking into a matrice, little bigger platform and battery life. Still digging, lots and lots of options and lots of price range

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
They are capable of taking topographic images, I just want to see where water sits and how it runs after a rain
No...

The are outfitted with sensors for attitude and altitude.

You literally get a color-keyed map which you can import into ag software (Farmworks, AgExpert GIS, SMS Advanced, whatever you use) and then you can create a drainage map, or just use the drone/cloud generated version and upload it to a farm gps and away you go with your scraper.

Altitude limit? By law I think it was 100ft or something like that.

Physical limits? 8,000 feet with an aftermarket antenna.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
No...

The are outfitted with sensors for attitude and altitude.

You literally get a color-keyed map which you can import into ag software (Farmworks, AgExpert GIS, SMS Advanced, whatever you use) and then you can create a drainage map, or just use the drone/cloud generated version and upload it to a farm gps and away you go with your scraper.
Obviously but some are equipped with camera lenses specifically for this and NDVI to help with quality, have you spent much time looking into ag and industrial spec'ed outfits?

AGM

·
Registered
560 Posts
Bumping a old thread.

Really am tempted to get myself a DJI Phantom, but was reading thru the thread to see if there is more uses for it, just than hobby flying and crop checking.
Stumble on this website, that provide a NDRE/NDVI add-on for a phantom 4. Anyone using it? How is it working? Did it help to improve your crop/save you money?

https://sentera.com/product/phantom-ndvi-upgrade-crop-health-camera/

Also find info on a Parrot Sequoia sensor, which is available in our country. Also is very pricey...Don't know if it is better than the sentera...maybe more capabilities?

·
Registered
869 Posts
My only experience is with a mavic air. Dad bought one last year for fun and after i used it a few times I realized how useful it it just for scouting and taking a birds eye view of things around the farm. After a big rain storm you can see where the low spots are very clearly. I’m not interested in the Ndvi pictures yet just checking out animal damage from elk was a huge eye opener. We are getting 3x more damage than I was thinking. You think you see it all by driving equipment but it’s a different perspective. The Mavic was under $1000 at Costco.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I bought a DJI Mavic pro 2 yrs ago. Used it for checking for berthas. This alone made the $1800 worth it. I can leave my yard and go 4 miles taking pics of canola in various places, it would take me forever to walk in the tangled mess. I lost 40 acres on a half section once to worms because I didn't walk there. Never again. I have 3 batteries for it and it automatically flies home when batteries hit 30% to my landing pad at home. You can adjust its fly home battery % to what ever number you like. I err on the side of caution always and have never crashed. Has collision avoidance and makes flying so easy for even tech dummies like me. DJI is probably the leader when it comes to drone software and dependability. A mavic pro is small and portable. It has a 12 megapixel camera which has a remotely operated gimble. You can fly a couple feet and hover over the crop, let go of the joysticks and it will just hover there using GPS to hold its position and altitude. Then you can point the camera straight down , Left ,Right and take pictures or video the entire time. Lift off and go to a different part of the field. When you are done with taking photos and looking at the images on your phone you can remove the card and look at it on your pooter for a more detailed look and Zoom in if you wish. 20 min may not seem like much time but at 45 miles an hour as the crow flies I can get places in a hurry. I have taken pics of wildlife damage and had crop insurance walk the field. Not all of them are licensed to fly a drone which is a joke. I fly mine and send them the pics. A photo is worth a million words and can make stuff fair and not a crap shoot.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts