The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm renovating 40x60 machine shed into a insulated shop. I would like to build a 10x10 room on the outside of the shop to house a 80 gallon air compressor in. I'm not a fan of listening to that thing rumble. Has anybody done this? Do I have to keep it heated in the winter and cooled in the summer? I already figured I would have to put some kind of exhaust fan in it to keep it from getting real hot, but whats too hot?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Are you planning on building a mezzanine? Even if you aren't you could put the compressor up high on a platform that is insulated for noise. Saves making another building and doesn't use any floor space.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you planning on building a mezzanine? Even if you aren't you could put the compressor up high on a platform that is insulated for noise. Saves making another building and doesn't use any floor space.
If I did put it on stilts, would I still have to ventilate it somehow?

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
If you do put it in an insulated lean-to or shed, in the summer just a vent and a small exhaust fan to bring air over the compressor should be enough. In the winter, just the insulation of the shed would probably be enough to keep it warm. At most a little space heater to keep it above freezing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My air compressor is in a non-insulated out building and I’ve never had any problems with it over the winter. I’ve got a heat tape on the automatic water drain line to keep it from freezing and that’s worked great.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Before I went to all the trouble to built a room for an air compressor I would purchase a rotary screw compressor. They are very quiet, in fact they are so quiet that when my friend installed his he wondered if there was something wrong with it as it barely made a sound.
I have a 35 cfm 4 piston 2 stage compressor with a 120 gallon tank. I was concerned about the noise level from it, but it is not a problem. You have to use a lot of air before it runs and it does not take long to built pressure and shut off. I have it on my mezzanine so that may help with the sound level.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If I did put it on stilts, would I still have to ventilate it somehow?
I wouldn't use stilts as that affects floor space. Build your platform into the wall and support from ceiling as well if necessary so that it is free standing. You could frame it in with some insulation / baffles for noise suppression but need to leave room for air movement.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Not noise related.
I used a magnetic starter switch with a 120 volt coil and wired the power for the coil through my shop light switch. This means the compressor can only run if the shop lights are on, which should mean some one is in the shop or will be back soon. I know of the couple of compressors that had a hose failure, one was caught in time the other one destroyed the compressor as most piston compressors do not have a 100% duty cycle.

·
Registered
107 Posts
In central California I have never seen any special cooling fans for air compressors. I don't know of any air conditioned shops, many use Port-a-Cool units to blow on the area the mechanic is in. A good number of days with a high over 100 F. Generally compressors are not in fully enclosed area just a roof and maybe one wall to the south where 90% of are rain comes from.😉 But it has not rain much in years ether, dang old climate change. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Depending on your compressor and temperature you may need some heat to get it to start decent. Cooler intake air will produce less moisture in the air. I would build the room with a vent to the outside that could have a furnace filter in to help with dust and maybe a pass through to the main shop with a door or window that can be opened and closed for heat and noise control

·
Registered
233 Posts
outside air is a must. It is cooler drier and cleaner.
We use a DuraLite filter sticking through the wall.
Two stage compressors have a inter cooler between the stages and the cooler the air flowing over the intercooler the more efficient it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts