The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a new air compressor for our shop. There's a stand up pin point for sale at princess auto.
Type Stationary Electric Air Compressor
Tank Style Vertical
Tank Capacity 80 gal.
Air Delivery @ 100 PSI 21 CFM
Air Delivery @ 175 PSI 20 CFM
Max. Pressure 175 PSI

Pump Cast Iron, Oil-Lubricated
Stages Two
Drive Belt Driven
Voltage Rating 240 V AC
Running Horsepower 7.5 HP

We want to buy a small sand blaster and paint gun to do a little refurbishing on our air seeder tank.

Would you guys go for this one or stay away? Any input is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I would look at a Quincy from Peavy Mart or UFA.

With an air compressor you want to buy a quality one, nothing worse then trying to run a paint gun and waiting for air or an air impact and not enough pressure.

Have a cheap upright single stage King tools from Co-op, works to air up tires and blow filters out and that's it. Not enough to run a paint sprayer nonstop or the tire changer.

If you are planning to use the paint sprayer for buildings after or other projects I would look at an airless sprayer. Bought a commercial one for $500 new with a 10ft wand for buildings. Way nicer than the air one we had. Easy to use and clean. Painted a 40x60x18 wood sided shed in 45min from unpacking the sprayer from the box and using the manual as a drip catch for paint.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your stats look good. I got one from princess auto 6 years ago, same stats you listed. Not sure what pump you have. Mine is the 3 cylinder. You really want a fast recovery one, can't remember what stat it was, but I paid a little extra for it, only takes 30 seconds to get back up to 150 psi. It should have an adjustable pressure kick in and out setting. Have mine set to kick in at 110 psi to fill semi truck tires faster and 150 to kick out, as any higher tends to blow lines or make couplers leak. Also plumped a 1" jack hammer hose off of it to run the 1" impact if I want to twist the **** out of something!

·
Registered
510 Posts
When I've bought compressors, both times I went to Princess Auto because of the price in their flyer, and walked out because if you can get someone to help you, they have absolutely no knowledge about what they are selling. I would go somewhere that is actually in the business of selling and servicing compressors. They should be able to answer any of your questions, and help you buy a compressor that will do everything you want it to. I ended up buying basically the same compressor at Mid-West Pump in Lethbridge for about the same money. If I ever have a problem that's where I go for service.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I upgraded the shop compressor about this time last year.... Ended up going with a speed aire from Acklands. It came on sale and was marginally more than any I could find at other stores, but has a rating of 25cfm @175 psi. Make sure you get a good regulator on whatever you get, and turn it down until you get 110psi at the tool hookup point. Run the compressor at 175 cut out, and ~140-150 cut in, and then you will always have max air for your tools, hoses etc. They also recommend a non-detergent oil to maintain warranty

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
If you are planning to use the paint sprayer for buildings after or other projects I would look at an airless sprayer. Bought a commercial one for $500 new with a 10ft wand for buildings. Way nicer than the air one we had. Easy to use and clean. Painted a 40x60x18 wood sided shed in 45min from unpacking the sprayer from the box and using the manual as a drip catch for paint.
x2 absolutely right, it would be a nightmare trying to get clean, dry air from a princess auto special. Even a high quality compressor would need an air dryer/filter for paint work. I have an electric airless sprayer as well and its the only way to go, I just hate cleaning it. As for compressors, I think NAPA had a special recently on an Ingersol rand unit that has almost exactly the same specs. I have a princess auto compressor and I have had to replace every part except the tank, but its also 15 years old.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Looking at a new air compressor for our shop. There's a stand up pin point for sale at princess auto.
Type Stationary Electric Air Compressor
Tank Style Vertical
Tank Capacity 80 gal.
Air Delivery @ 100 PSI 21 CFM
Air Delivery @ 175 PSI 20 CFM
Max. Pressure 175 PSI

Pump Cast Iron, Oil-Lubricated
Stages Two
Drive Belt Driven
Voltage Rating 240 V AC
Running Horsepower 7.5 HP

We want to buy a small sand blaster and paint gun to do a little refurbishing on our air seeder tank.

Would you guys go for this one or stay away? Any input is greatly appreciated
I just bought one of these, I think it is the same as the one you quote. There is a big difference between all compressors. One big difference is the speed they run. A slow running, big displacement, two stage compressor with cast iron cylinders with cooling fins is just a longer life setup than the other end of the spectrum. One simple way to tell (in my opinion) is to check the motor speed. It should be 1750, not 3450. Then check the belt ratio to drive the compressor. The compressor should only have to turn 700 to 900 rpm to produce the 20ish cfm. I think in any of the industrial brands like Kellog, Ingersol Rand, DeVilbis you will find the bigger slow speed units in that size are $3-5000. So a Princess unit at $2300 ( I paid a LOT less on a sale) is a decent size and quality for the money. I might have a different opinion after running it for a while!!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I haven't had anything to do with the current compressors Princess has been selling but have noted in the past that the 5 horse Sanborn we bought a number of years ago at a tool supply store looked exactly the same as what Princess used to sell ages ago but it seems the Sanborn they handle now doesn't look anything like it. I don't know who makes the "Pro Point" compressor but as one does searches for personal reviews online even some of the Ingersoll Rand units are no good. It seems all this off shore crap with companies with well respected names slapping their name on garbage to sell it is tainting what used to be quality compressors made in Canada or the USA so it becomes hard to sort out what is still good and what to stay away from. I'd be confused too if I was the original poster wondering what way to turn while trying not to spend too much on a unit.

Big slow running cast iron compressor assemblies that weight up a lot more then the cheesy ones tend to give a hint to quality as Transaxial also pointed out.

Even a company like DV, its rather confusing with the sale of the company and then starting up again in Canada but I'd be curious to hear how much their 7.5 horse compressor would be.

http://www.centrair.ca/brochures/hdi.pdf

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I have a 15 year-old 60 gallon upright compressor. It's been rattling around for years and just won't die! Recently I bought two of these: CAMPBELL HAUSFELD 3.2HP 60 GALLON COMPRESSOR They were on sale for $400! One for another shed and one to replace the existing one in my shop. I plan to mount both up higher and T them together so I have a larger volume and it will cycle less often. Then if this new one dies, my older compressor can act as a backup. The one in the other shed that I have running now is quieter than the older one(Coleman???) so I was pleased about that. I looked at screw compressors but just couldn't justify spending thousands to pump tires and run some air tools.....

You can rent proper equipment for sandblasting.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Yes a screw compressor would be nice but it comes with a hefty price tag and no doubt any of the larger units would be three phase, fine for those that have three phase in the yard and a large enough service to run a large compressor.

On the topic of hooking up two tanks, certainly one would have to be sure the tanks and reliefs were compatible as a 175 psi cutoff of a two stage with its thicker tank vs lets say a single stage with a 140 cutoff and lower popping pressure reliefs wouldn't work out so well as a match. Some years back I had the manager of a Midas shop show me their compressor setup and I was surprised to see a second tank without a compressor. He said they did that to not only increase air volume which makes sense of course but to help cool the air better to get more of the moisture out.

I've done small amounts of sand blasting and finally got myself a cheapy pressurized tank setup ( yes its from Princess ) and it actually doesn't work bad but just for small area's, a five horse compressor just doesn't have it to run anything more then the smallest of nozzles for a blaster. A large sand blaster that is capable of doing large area's means an engine driven unit that can put out a ton of CFM. Then there is the other aspect and that is being protected from the flying sand, the noise and the dust/sand in the air as that is the most dangerous part as it would destroy your lungs and put a person six feet under in no time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.