The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I’m sure everyone agrees, air drill hose is crap. Any bend doesn’t last a season. So we are trying this very thick fuel hose in high wear areas. It is prett expensive, so we splice it in using short pieces of muffler pipe as joiners. Guess we will see at the end of the season how it holds up.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Great idea. I made a tweet about this lastnight. 2000ac per machine on new hose and we are taping already

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
We’re putting steel mandrel bends where ever it starts wearing through. You put a new hose on and it’ll burn through that exact same spot.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t think it’s a bourgault problem. We run a C850 and those big fans spend a lot of time under 3000rpm.
Considered bending steel but a lot of high wear places are at folds. Just had a look at the roll and it’s actually a different type than I pictured above.
This stuff is 0.25” thick and should definitely not weather from the sun. If it doesn’t last I don’t think anything will.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Definitely not just a certain brand. Our flexi does the same. Duct tape wrapped around hoses before there done the season.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s very smooth, I’d say as smooth as normal hose when it’s new. It may get tougher as it wears though and I have wondered if it does wear into the steel braid if rubbing on that will damage seed. So far only using 18” chunks so I don’t think it will slow product down too much. Plan on having a look inside at the end of the season to see how it is holding up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bourgault still makes the black secondary hose for the old air seeders. Been using the same hose for over 10+ years now on dads cultivator Plus however long he had it on before. Conveniently though only one size. We need this for every size used today

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
The rubber hose will last forever, I’ve got desperate and used god knows how old 2.5” rubber hose off an old airseeder and it’s still outlasted the plastic hose on my 5500 fc. We have had the rubber peal back inside and block but have had hydraulic hose do that too

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Interesting how fast you find your hoses wearing out. Is this a result of weathering? Our NH P1060 drill is going on about 10 years now with very few issues. Had a couple of places where wear against a metal bolt made a nice hole in the hose. Just found a small crack yesterday just before one of the distribution towers. The hoses are getting stiff and more rigid as they've aged but no failures like described here. Replaced all of the hoses between the cart and the drill interface this spring because I was replacing the undercarriage with stainless and had to cut the old ones to get the old parts out. Guess we'll see how long those last.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Not weathering torriem, brand new last summer. Stored in shed. Wearing in the bends from inside out. 2000ac into this season and taping holes. Many many people with same issue.

·
Registered
540 Posts
When we used to single shoot some dry fertilizer with the seed it would wear out the inside skin. Now our fertilizer is all liquid and no dry fertilizer so only seed through the tube ands no issues. Original hose after 8 years.

For us it was the dry fertilizer so going liquid solved the issue. Now to get the drill manufacturers to understand that many farmers don't use dry fertilizer is the bigger issue now. More drill cart combo options are needed. A few have adapted but the main steam you think of would rather go out of business than build something many farmers want.

Take this custom built stainless steel liquid tank. Have to throw the poly tank away and the whole dry metering system.
0911191540.jpg

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Not weathering torriem, brand new last summer. Stored in shed. Wearing in the bends from inside out. 2000ac into this season and taping holes. Many many people with same issue.
Interesting. Yes we don't see that here. Maybe the hoses used 10 years ago are higher quality than now. We'll see how long the new hoses I just put on last.
is it a tow behind or tow between. TBH takes much more air because of length and extra sags
Ours is tow between. Our cart before that was tow behind. We had it 7 or 8 seasons and never wore out any hoses like talked about here.

We typically put down between 180 and 250 pounds of fertilizer product out the tips, with seed in the other. We usually set the air flow according to the manual. Basically we don't want to plug but we don't want a lot more air than that.

I know the fertilizer sure is abrasive. In fact the manifold rusted quite badly. Replaced the entire undercarriage this spring with stainless.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
It’s more a function of the Bourgault air distribution system. They have to use more air/air flow because of the extra splitter.

If you have a JD or flexicoil wearing out hose it’s nothing like the BG’s.

It’s not just fertilizer either. Oats cut through it like a bugger too.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Come changing thoes hoses are fun.....my prostate is still hanging out my ******* from trying to get the new ones on. Did 3/4 of the hoses on the tool bar and gave up. I’ll get the last 1/4 next year. I’m with Tor I think I’m replacing orginal hoses on a 2009 drill granted we don’t pit the product down you boys do in gods country

·
Registered
755 Posts
Come changing thoes hoses are fun.....my prostate is still hanging out my *** from trying to get the new ones on. Did 3/4 of the hoses on the tool bar and gave up. I’ll get the last 1/4 next year. I’m with Tor I think I’m replacing orginal hoses on a 2009 drill granted we don’t pit the product down you boys do in gods country
use glass cleaner or fluid film neither will degrade hose

1 - 20 of 38 Posts