The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of month ago in one of the farm pubs. there was an article about a NH dealer in Rochester IN. that had designed a kit for there combines to help control the air flow with the SLS sieves. When reading the article some of the problems they had previously had seemed similar to ones we had with damp MOG on the sieves of our 7010 and walking corn right out the back. Called them to see what his thought were and see if anyone with 70-8010's had tried them. Told us the kit works well in both red and yellow combines.

Watched a DVD they sent on it and basically he has designed rubber seals to keep the air from the fan going up through the sieves as it should instead of escaping through gaps in the design needed for the SLS to work. he uses a smoke machine at the fan to demonstrate the escape of air out of the side of machine without the kit and the smoke only out the rear as should be in a machine with the kit installed. the kit also extend the divider between the clean grain and return augers.

i am wondering if any one has tried, or knew anything about this kit. we had a few damp mournings when we would have problems walking unseperated MOG right off the sieves and thought this might be the cure.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have seen the video as well.
My understanding though is the yellow and red machines have a different fan from each other and the red machines have enough fan volume to overcome the leakage versus the fan in the yellow machines. Maybe this is why the New holland combines have the hyd drive fan system from the red combines in them for 2007/2008?
2008 Red combines have a metal deflector/seal added to the rear underside of the lower sieve that fixes what you describe in high volume high moisture corn- MOG conditions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I named the seal system Air Flow Control because the real issue is control, not so much maximum air flow speed. If you have seen the video you know that there is an issue with leakage and also with air re-circulating in the shoe. The seal kit addresses both matters as well as the issue of contamination of the grain tank sample from outside debris entering the shoe and material being thrown from the tailings area directly into the clean grain auger. Customers find that the seal kit allows for 10-15% lower fan RPM while maintaining capacity and experiencing lower losses.

Based on the calls I've gotten from CIH owners and NH owners from the article, there's no doubt that the same problems have been observed by owners of both brands of Self Leveling Shoe machines. My personal opinion is that it's a tribute to the fundamental design of the SLS shoe that it works as well as it does with the current air flow. Every time the load on the shoe changes, whether it's from change in moisture, volume or MOG percentage, the air flow restriction changes and therefore so does the amount of air that leaks (or not) out of the combine.

For those who haven't seen the Farm Journal article, it's on my website at http://www.newhollandrochester.com

Most owners like the fact sealing the shoe makes the combine easier to set for lower loss and cleaner samples. Any time the operator is more comfortable with setting a machine it's likely that he's got it set more appropriately for the conditions. With today's crop prices, that's a serious matter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts