The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TR86's top chaffer was getting worn, hard to adjust, some bent and missing fingers, so I was going to get a new Loewen top sieve but was told by A&I they wouldn't have any till after harvest!
So I got a replacement from the salvage yard and also came across a Harvest brand rigid Air Foil at a dealer. He said they really clean up the grain sample (which I think is really good anyway) but that you need a lot of air movement. I think the TR's are borderline on air to start with, my TR86 can only get to 1050 RPM, and my TR70 I haven't checked in a while (no digital readout). I have a neighbor with a 6600 Deere and he runs one and loves it, but had to modify the drive to get more fan speed. Are they better in beans or corn or both or should I just forget it? Also, it has no place for sidehill dividers on it, he said you'd have to make your own and weld or bolt them on.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Our TR 96 has one on it and it seems to work great. Been ages since I have been around one otherwise and that was back to the 7720 days so it has been awhile.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dragon71 we have the Harvest brand air foil in our MF rotor 8570 (it came in it when we bought it used) the shoe is quite long on this machine, I have had good results cleaning grain and I don’t think we use that much air, we do have hills so I have welded divider in it. I was told that the Loewen air foil had divider built in it so if I had to replace this one I was going to look at the Loewen. By the way the fan sheave is warn on our so I can not get foul speed (lack 60 rpm ) so in very high MOG crop I have to slow down a little.
Dee

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put a fixed chaffer in from harvest services which is a canadian company. I love it but was told it will not work well in high moisture corn. You will have to take the straw spreader off to get that thing in there. stays clean and dont build up like my previous one let me know if I can help you as I am in Nebraska Weldfixer

·
Registered
14 Posts
P S I have mine in a ttr 85 and it seems to let more air through without plugging I open the lower sieve up more and get a cleaner sample Weldfixer

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Weldfixer, Did you make any type of sidehill dividers on it? I have the thing bought but haven't taken time to get it in there. When I started corn some was up to 23% but most is down to 18 or lower now. My combines both have choppers on them, would they have to be removed to get the sieve in? Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
O K first I don,t think you need to fool with dividers. I have hills and everytime I look back there it is clean!! I was warned not to use that chaffer in high moiusture corn. but under 20 should be fine My combine doesn,t have a chopper but I had to remove the straw spreader. Start by removing your old top chaffer, take off extensionn first then adjust all the way one way and you will just barely get the top sieve out . the new seive you are talking about is all one piece so it is about 12 inches longer Unless your chopper is awful high I am betting you will have to take it out Let me know what you end up doing> Weldfixer

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dragon,I've been using an airfoil in my 8780 Massey and had one before in a White 9700.I would never go back to the old finger style.My chaffer is a Harvest model,fixed, and I run mosty Corn(some is over 20% and still works great) and Soybeans on level land in NW Ohio.Clean sample, absolutly no grain over the back. Good Luck. Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've used a fixed airfoil chaffer for several years in a 7720II. One of the best mods I've done. Was a great increase in combines capacity, because I wasn't getting enough air previous to this chaffer. I use it in corn up to 25% with no problems. You'll like it.

SilverDollar

1 - 10 of 10 Posts