The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are air hammers worth the money just dont see many guys using them round here. If so what kind would you reccomend. Fixing is what i do every day so i dont mind spending good money on good tools to make my life easy!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Mine is just a cheap peice of junk I picked up at Princess Auto about 12 yrs ago, but it works fine for all I use it. If I was going to recommend a better variety I'd probably say Chicago Pneumatic. Comes in very handy for removing bearing races and lock collars in tight places, rusty old mufflers and chipping concrete. Definitely worth having.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I held off buying one for 30 years. Why??? That is a handy tool and it doesn't take an expensive one to be really handy. Got a nut that is rusted? Don't reach for the smoke wrench or even the penetrating oil. 5 seconds with the air hammer/chisel and you can remove it with your fingers, in one piece or 2.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have 2 snap on PH2050 s I have had for 20 -30 years and use them every day in the shop. couldn't imagine life without a torch and a good air hammer. I would spend the money and find a Snap on PH3050 newer model. This is a long barrel hammers and will take things apart other hammers won't touch. I see alot of 3050 s on ebay for $150 dollar range. The new model is a PH3050B and is $372.00 new and its worth it. Other guys in the shop have cheaper short barrel hammers even snap on ones and they come borrow mine all the time. If you use it alot it will eventually get tired or sometimes the barrel with crack and you send it in and snap on will make it like new for around $90 I think I have had both mine done at least twice over the years but I do use them every day.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you're going to get one, get a good one. We have a Snap-on. You won't believe the stuff you can take
apart with that thing. There is no comparison to cheap ones.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Most certainly nothing wrong with having one, but I can honestly say, it is the least used air tool I own:eek:

Even the older more experienced guys I have worked with were never big on using one. Perhaps its because of having a multitude of pullers and pushers, punches and drivers that accumulate over the years, that the need to use it never really comes up . I would also have to say part of least with me, was because of guys using one that f'cked stuff up and I was left trying to re-invent the wheel to get things back together. I'm talking things like tranny housings and such, used at the wrong time in the wrong way can have bad results. I'm sitting here and can't for the life of me even think of the last time I used mine:eek:

I've seen guys rip out old exhaust and such with one or split a bushing, yep its quick, loud and annoying and they knock every little bit of dirt off everything so it can go down your neck, but when I need to do things like that, I use one of several different die grinders instead. Also, could be as well, I'm one of the guys who tries to save as many of the parts as possible to be re-used. Of course it depends on what you're doing, but most of the time whats getting wacked on, well not much survives an air hammer.

As with any tool, spend a few bucks and get a good one if you do, and it should literally last you a lifetime. Be sure to get a popular one, as I have seen aftermarket attachments available for different unique jobs sold in some tool catalogs;)

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
We have a few laying around the shop. The longer barrel ones work great for hammering stuff apart. Usually have a couple cheap one from princess auto with the needle scaler attachment on them. They work great for chipping flux when you are doing some heavy welding. They don't stay attatched very good though with those setcrews so we just weld them right onto the airhammer.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I agree with all the other comments in not wasting money on some cheep no name piece of garbage that just vibrates and makes a lot of noise and accomplishes little. I wish I had a better one although at least its an Ingersoll Rand but not one of the high end industrial ones. Still though I sure use it once in a while and have cut/pushed out some front end highway tractor suspension bushings, sheared off small bolts or rivets. Pushing partly drilled rivets out, re riveting, cutting thinner panels, splitting apart a tie rod end or popping off the end of a knife drive cast section from its tapered ball socket. One of the things that makes the difference is the attachments, how good a material they have in holding an edge and not just mushing in the example of a chisel end. If you can imagine this, I made an adapter sleeve for the end and drove a 5/8 ground rod into the ground ... it took a while though

If its used in the wrong situation, oh that is bad as it can ruin your day as the end attachment can dance off what you intended to work on and do horrible damage to some other object. Eye and ear protection are a MUST !.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have a couple. One of them has a separate knob to control the speed, the other has the variable speed on the trigger, the farther you squeeze the faster it goes. Don't get one with the separate knob speed setting, not handy at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think every shop should have one. I dont use it everyday but their are times when it is well worth haveing. I would reccomend Mac. Around my area i cant seem to ever find a good Snap On dealer. You get what you pay for when it comes to tool's.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
They are a great tool for overhauling air drills. I just make up custom ends out of inexpensive ends with something like a cheap socket welded to it. They will push bushings, sleeves and bolts out with ease. In this case you're better with a shorter model.

I have a cheap $20 mini with a punch rounded off for peening. It works great for stress relieving big welds that are developing heat stress.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have the Snap On PH3050A. Its got some nuts.

Look at it this way, your hand gets tired, the air hammer does not.

Get every attachement possible. I got mine when they were throwing in the Quick change Chuck adapter. I think its an extra $60. But worth it. no fighting with the spring style.

My favorite attachment is actually for rivets. Its an indented 1" circle. It doesnt slip off bolts and such like the flat ones or pointed ends do.

I also just learned that they warranty their air tool bits for life as well. I was using it to chisel out a bunch of anchors in our freestall barn and it was going dull from all of the sand, he said just keep on dressing it up until it runs out then he'll replace it.

Like any power tool they are only as good as the person running it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts