The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been toying with the idea of making an alarm system for tank levels is the air cart instead of cameras. Personally im not a fan of cameras in the air tank, hard to see level, glare and clutter cab with screens etc. I looked inside a Seedhawk 600 today and saw it had a series of 4 sensors on the ladder, not sure what you'd see in the cab, but i was thinking of wiring the sensors to lights in the cab. So when the tank level would reach a sensor the light would come on, I'd have 4 lights for each compartment lined up in the cab and when the last sensor trigger id have a buzzer wired in as well. Has anyone made a setup like this or what are your thoughts...

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm surprised that you would prefer sensors over cameras. I understand the issue of glare and cab clutter though and at night bright monitors in the cab are annoying. After having a camera in one tank I am seriously thinking of installing them in the other tanks as well. It is annoying and a waste of time having to stop to check how much product is left in the tank. Ideally, I would like a camera in each tank and a switch operated alarm system that triggers just before the tank runs out for those times that a person gets distracted and forgets to check. I'm surprised that you have trouble seeing the level in the tank but I'm running it through a JD 2630 screen so maybe the picture is better.

Can you hook the cameras up to your GPS screen to eliminate an extra monitor?

Would it help you to mount a yard stick or old tape measure in the tank to help you determine the level of the grain better with the camera?

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
If you already have the cam installed, just making marks along the sides and slopes with a marker or paint for a reference guide. (On the inside of course!!) We don't have cams inside our Bourgault tank, just sensors, am going to put in cameras first chance I get, nothing sucks more than getting to the farthest point of the field when the alarm goes off when you could turn around half way down the field and make it back before empty.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm surprised to, that even with the clutter and (poor) visuals I'd never go back only to a sensor. One reason I like the camera is so I can change seed variety and can seed without stopping right to the last pound without getting out of the cab. But every person has their preferences.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I am putting the cameras in my Bourgault tank as soon as Allen Leigh (Precision Cam) gets them back in stock to ship before spring. The bin level sensors have not been reliable for me at all.
I ordered first week of January and they are still waiting to receive their shipment or something before they can send to customers.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I would not be without camera's in the tank. Have the factory camera's in the CNH tank as well as sensors. The camera images show up on the cart monitor, so there are not extra displays in the cab.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm surprised your tanks don't have some kind of bin level sensors already. I put cameras in the tank a few years ago and wouldn't be without them now. The ones from Allen Leigh. If they aren't working well for you I'd figure out why before I'd spend a bunch of time installing a new bin level system.

·
Registered
240 Posts
We have precision cameras in all tanks. Had then for about 5 years in tank when working for friend and really liked them. Started farming myself and helping in-laws, there tank had no cameras. I quickly rectified than. Stopping often to check tank cleaning out seed tank or trying to optimize fert fills is such a waste of time when you could have cameras and there pretty cheap now. What system you have? Ours are no means perfect but work well enough. Your the only person I’ve heard of that didn’t think camera was improvement/good addition to level sensors.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I have a system from allen leigh with cameras in each tank and I would not be without them now. Don't have any extra lights installed and I can seed right to the last kernel on each tank if desired. This is on a deere tank so you do get quite a bit of light in the tank during daytime but even at night the image is pretty good. I find the factory sensors to be totally irrelevant now and don't even pay any attention to them. Personally if I had to pick one or the other I would go with the cameras and nothing else.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just take note of how many acres of each alarm and after a few fills you should know how many acres you have at each quarter. It is also helpful to have blockage monitors to tell when you are out. Find out once and write it down and its as good as cameras. imo

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am putting the cameras in my Bourgault tank as soon as Allen Leigh (Precision Cam) gets them back in stock to ship before spring. The bin level sensors have not been reliable for me at all.
I ordered first week of January and they are still waiting to receive their shipment or something before they can send to customers.
Did you ever get your system and get it installed? I have a 6550 cart and have a couple questions if you have time to answer?

Did you get a monitor or are you adapting it over to a monitor you already have? I have a topcon, intelliview, and iPad already along with two other control boxes, so I would like to not add to that. And if you have installed it, how did you run the wires into the tanks? Thanks.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Did you ever get your system and get it installed? I have a 6550 cart and have a couple questions if you have time to answer?

Did you get a monitor or are you adapting it over to a monitor you already have? I have a topcon, intelliview, and iPad already along with two other control boxes, so I would like to not add to that. And if you have installed it, how did you run the wires into the tanks? Thanks.

https://www.precisioncam.ca/air-seeder-tank-adapter/

·
Registered
127 Posts
Farmtonics also have a quick tach cable that allows for 4 cameras to be bundled in one wire easy to hook up and unhook when we get stuck ,then led camera they sell is like watching a TV, easy to see a auger turning in the 6350 tank.

·
Registered
509 Posts

Still waiting for it to be shipped, it’s only been 3 months since I ordered...
I guess I have 4 weeks yet to install before hitting the field but it sure feels like an early spring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts