The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me the good, the bad, the ugly about the Airjet Chaffer. Looks like it would work well. Does it have good solid construction? Is it quite a bit more expensive than Case IH chaffer? Any input is welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I bought a used airjet chaffer. So far, I have only used it for soybeans. It seems to make a cleaner sample than I could do with factory equipment with minimal tailings. It will get stalks in the screen but doesn't seem to effect capacity.? Hard to measure. The construction is excellent. You do have to change screens when changing crops. I will be using it for wheat, maybe fescue(same screen hopefully) , and corn. What crops are you going to use it in. I like Gordon's products. Seedcleaner

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seedcleaner, I would be using it in wheat, pinto beans, corn, and barley. Did you gain any capacity over the factory one?

·
Registered
922 Posts
I Have run one for two years now JUst in barley and wheat. I have mixed felling about it . It is constructed very good and I would think it would last as long or longer than a standar factory and it is lighter so I think that might help on bushing wear also? My winter wheat seed was direct from combine just treated it no cleaning was neded. If you have solid stem wheat you will have problems with them getting stems caught in the chaffer and few in tank . I ran in the same field this year with his 9600 in the winter wheat no matter how he adjusted the jd sample was horid the winter wheat was cooked in the head my sample was super clean in spring wheat the jd had a very good sample I would say it was cleaner than my pre air jet but not as clean I beleive he was running a Lowen air chaffer. I have custom cut some grain with a lot of weeds and it is amazing how it keeps pig weeds and similiar weed out of grain the biggest problem I have is with solid stem wheat pluging so couple times aday I am back there cleaning them out. I still my factory set up haven't gone back to it yet so for my conditions/crops I really like it for the most part. I fig I saved the cost not having to haul my seed in to have it commercially screened . Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Yes, I believe I have gained capacity. I actually run the seed loss monitor on 9 now with the dial set on the middle seed size icon on 2388. I bought it used. It claims less return or tailings. I still want to inspect this in the field more, but I believe it. More returns means more cracked seed beans. A good way to gain some capacity is to put hillside risers on the chaffer if your in hilly conditions. I made my own and they sure help.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Montana, what do you mean by solid stem wheat? Are you talking about long or short pieces of straw that clog it up? Thanks

·
Registered
922 Posts
no we have what is called saw flys wich basically burrow inside the a hollow wheat stem hatch or what ever eat there way out and your wheat falls over so alot of guys have gone to solid stem ...basically the stem of the wheat is solid or mostly solid so they are alot heaver than normall straw so instead of getting blown out the back they sometime will pierce the air jet stream and then get stuck in the whole. If you don't have solid stem wheat I wouldn't worry about it

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Montana, we don't grow solid stemmed wheat so it sounds like we'd be fine. Are there very many varieties of solid stemmed wheat to choose from?

·
Registered
922 Posts
not very many not sure about hard red winter I think there is just a couple of for hard red spring the worst thing about them imo is that they do not yuild near as good. some neibors say the oppisit some say no difference but on my soil going by my yuild maps it defenitly does not yuild as good some guys up on the highline I have been told that they gave up on solid stem and are swathing before the grain falls over I know there is a couple semi solid varitys haven't tried them yet? suposidly either tame or wild oats they like to eat and will suposidly kill them??? thats what a msu resercher told me so with good feed prices I might have to try some tame oat plots

·
Registered
127 Posts
I run one in England, worked great in barley, I had to order some 9mm screens for wheat as the barley screens were letting too much straw through. We have an old Volvo combine with round holes for the lower sieve and find that the airjet ones need to be the same as it used. I am sure the 9mm will sort the job out, you can see that there is much less chaff in the sample. I would certainly give it the thumbs up, much less losses too and no fiddling about trying to set it!! Very well made and nice and light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts