The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who has an alcohol evaporator on his airdryer on his graintruck.
I want to install one since i'm sick and tired of lines freezing right above the dump pit at the elevator, airdryer works good but still.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Yes we have run both. Just have to install evaporator after air dryer. I did it for a temporary fix one winter. When was the last time your air dryer was serviced? After we changed ours I haven't run the evaperator and haven't had any trouble.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uhm... good question I think it was 2011 when we overhauled ours, but its our maintruck thats causing the trouble.
think I should just chuck it and dump a new one on. but still like the option off having the evaporator just on the main truck. rest of our semi's sit still in winter.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The new style air dryers suck. The ones with he spin on canester. Service every six months to be safe and replace every 2 years. That's on a truck that runs every day. Even tee into the lines after the dryer and run two valves to put alcohol in.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
The new style air dryers suck. The ones with he spin on canester. Service every six months to be safe and replace every 2 years. That's on a truck that runs every day. Even tee into the lines after the dryer and run two valves to put alcohol in.
Had that when I had trouble and replaced with a bendix AD9 and no more trouble.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I add a little alcohol to my trailers everytime I use them in winter. I have changed my air dryer every few years. A T and a valve would be a good idea after air dryer. Way better than removing a hose.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I noticed different ones using the term alcohol and thought I would speak up just to clarify, you do mean air brake antifreeze and not just straight methanol right ?. I get told over and over never to use methanol because it will dry out every rubber component from valves to the air bags and the insides of the air brake pots. Now someone may say different but some time back I had a chat with a gentleman who has had a lot to do with oil rigs and also running of trucks .. moving rigs and so on. He claimed that him and the company he worked for had been using marvel mystery lube for years in air systems and claimed it was really helping to keep valves operating properly and also included relay valves on trailers. I know myself, I've pulled apart a relay valve on a trailer that isn't working right, its feeding some air to the brake pot when its not supposed to be and seeping out the dump port on the valve itself as well and the inside is all corroded with white crap and no wonder the oring on the piston assembly can't slide up and down on that mess. So this person said they dribble a bit into the RED air supply glad handle once in a while for trailers and let that work back into the tanks and valves and he claimed less issues with icing up then as well.

Anyone else have experience or thoughts on the use of this marvel mystery lube ? .

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
I personally would avoid adding any liquid to the air system. Air dryers do work well if the they are working. Liquids can gum up a system or dry out/melt things. I have never had something in an air system freeze up, yet. Then again, I live in North Central MT were we have no moisture to worry about.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Yes I was referring to air brake antifreeze. When talking to an older guy that used to work on the rigs whenever they put any kind of alcohol or air brake anti freeze they always put a some hydraulic oil in with it to keep things lubricated and from drying out. Never tried it but he claims it worked.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
That's interesting then, so oil in one form or another obviously has been used in rig air systems as I know this guy said they were in problems if they didn't do anything or just used air brake antifreeze alone in the rig's air system due to moisture and the good luck they had with their trailer valves by doing the same thing. Why he was stuck on this particular marvel mystery lube, I don't know but its a thin oil and I believe has some cleaning agents to clean up gumming problems and this general supply company ( Greggs actually ) had ordered that one bottle in specifically for him and that is all he bought ... that's why everyone on our side of the counter ( small town nosy people I guess :D ) noticed and were curious what it was he had that was so precious.

Ianwickum, your definitely right in that a good working air dryer system makes all the difference, one just has to go to the tanks and try draining them and see what doesn't come out vs over to a unit that was never equipped with an air dryer and watch the water fly out of the tank drain to prove that point. One line never to put anything into, including brake line antifreeze is the signal line or BLUE glad hand as it has no way to escape and can totally mess up its operation as the relay valves can't move properly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.