The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread a little while back that had some talk about alfalfa production. Most people were just talking about making bales and selling. There is some write ups in the Feb 4 edtion og Grain News that talks about it also. Does anyone have expiernece with growing and harvesting it for seed? We have hay land that we either sell the hay standing or make it ourselves and sell bales. But I am thinking more about putting some other marginal land into alfalfa for seed if its something that could be profitable and good for the land.
What kind of costs to seed it? Probably do a cover crop the first year? What kind of seed yields? What can I sell the seed for? How much fert in the following years? etc. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
There are 2 large alfalfa seed growers in my area. It's very labour and capital intensive. I have seen other people try it on marginal land and without the proper equipment and you can sure see it in their crops.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I would do my homework and see where your production will be sold Europe vs North America . I may be wrong but didn't the federal government give Monsanto the green light to sell RR alfalfa in eastern Canada ? The forage seed industry has been fighting this for several years as Canadian seed producers our European markets are jepodized as the EU has a ZERO tolerance policy for GMO 's . This hasn't been in the front page news but unfortunately has happened and can cost our farm $ 100,000's of dollars as the varieties of grass and legumes seeds are grown for the EU market . I fear that the Canadian forage seed industry is in for a rough ride thanks to short sightedness of our government and Monsantos lobbying .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts