The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding my shaker system to hopefully give it longevity. I've replaced the shaker shaft, bearings, drive hub and clutch sprockets, cams and bearings, pivot shafts and needle bearings, bushings and new grade 8 bolts.

My Jensales manual didnt have any information on the shaker system so I stopped at my dealer and they let me look in their service manual. The case 1680 manual doesn't have anything on the cleaning system. I looked at a 2388 manual and it has a 9030 section on the cleaning system so I photocopied it to get me close.
They have never heard of the aligning tool, the next case dealer is 2 hours one way so I'm wondering about aligning it the hard way.

I started with digital calipers and adjusted the shaker shaft fore and aft to the nearest chassis flange (within 0.1 mm). I then went in the back and used the rear arm pivot bolt as a reference instead of a sheetmetal reference (I figured the pivot point for the system would be better to square to). I have the shaker and pivot shafts all within 1.0 mm of each other at the rearmost pivot point.

The factory manual shows aligning with a tape measure and I'm sure I've done the best job possible without the OTC tool but I'm nervous about doing this again near the end of harvest. Anybody have experience doing this the hard way?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
If you have the thing to 1mm, you've got it better than factory IMO. Center it and tighten it. Recheck your square measure and if it held, leave it.

If you end up having to redo something at the end of the season, it wont be from your time spent to get things to within 1mm, it will be from some thing else.IMO.

Keep lotsof grease to the needle bearings as that choice for bearing type was not a good one.I think the book calls for them at 50 hours? I purge them daily.

Do as you must, but I even go so far as to center the shaker each night at shut down. I get fed a lot of crap about what a waste it is, but I do a walk about to check for smoke smell and get a visual on any tensioner bearing failing anyway, so a simple walk on the separator belt to center the shaker is not out of my way.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll take your advice and run it like this Doorknob. The concave dropped on the auger bed a while ago and bent the center auger, I changed it but didn't realize the center bearing on the shaker was 1" low vs the outers. Its all lined up now and I'm hoping its cured.
Your previous posts and pictures were a lifesaver.

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.