The Combine Forum banner

221 - 240 of 257 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
Hey, it sold for 187,000 more than the next nearest unit!
Seems to me all the combines were soft and all would have sold better at a farm auction.

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
If I was the proud owner of a 780 I might be a bit disappointed with this sale.
Remember going to a land auction in Olds at Rosehills about twenty years ago for some local land.
Many thought the land went low and a large land owner stated that it was good to know how much his net value had went down.
Well, except it's irrelevant until you actually sell.
By the way, that retired farmer land owner still has all his land and a bit more and it's up about 8X's from that day.
His statement having been irrelevant.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Remember going to a land auction in Olds at Rosehills about twenty years ago for some local land.
Many thought the land went low and a large land owner stated that it was good to know how much his net value had went down.
By the way, that retired farmer land owner still has all his land and a bit more and it's up about 8X's from that day.
His statement having been irrelevant.
Valid point Don, but last time I checked iron doesn't appreciate like that unless you have a JD 8010, or a IH 7788 or some collectors piece.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
That's true in the case of most things but land is a bit different as your ability to, and the amount you can borrow against it is directly tied to land values. I'm thinking that people that are fully leveraged at present day high land values might have a problem if all of a sudden land values crashed even though they do not intend to sell. I'm not a farmer and not one to borrow to the max so I may have this all wrong but I think that is how it would work. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
That's true in the case of most things but land is a bit different as your ability to, and the amount you can borrow against it is directly tied to land values. I'm thinking that people that are fully leveraged at present day high land values might have a problem if all of a sudden land values crashed even though they do not intend to sell. I'm not a farmer and not one to borrow to the max so I may have this all wrong but I think that is how it would work. Correct me if I'm wrong.
That's about right, in fact anyone refinancing on increased land values doesn't have to have the land market go down, it only has to stop going up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
John Deere spend more money on advertising than building stuff so thats why you see more ads than Case IH, Case IH spend more money on building and some on advertising but mostly building, that's why I go for Case IH

·
Registered
689 Posts
John Deere spend more money on advertising than building stuff so thats why you see more ads than Case IH, Case IH spend more money on building and some on advertising but mostly building, that's why I go for Case IH
Not so. John Deere spends more in R&D in total, and as a percent of income, than any other major Ag equipment manufacturer.

"Deere’s scale in the agriculture business has provided it with an enormous edge against its competitors. Its agriculture sales were almost twice that of CNH (CNH revenue figures above include commercial vehicles) and three times that of AGCO. The company also dedicates a larger percentage of its revenue toward R&D (more than 4% of revenues), which causes the R&D gap between Deere and its competitors to increase even further. Exaggerating these effects, Deere focuses its efforts on a single brand—John Deere. The roll-up strategies of its smaller competitors have left them supporting multiple brands (for example: Agco has Challenger, FENDT, Massey Ferguson, and Valtra). The ability to dedicate a significant amount of spend to a single brand has created a wonderful positive feedback loop (Research spend improves design/fuel efficiency, which ensures market share, which provides for greater research spend creating superior products). Deere’s quality (Nothing Runs Like a Deere) has also allowed it to build significant goodwill in the form customer loyalty, with many farming families using Deere equipment over multiple generations."

https://www.gurufocus.com/news/270917/bet-the-farm-on-deere

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Quite true!
Over here in Australia, when land values last took a major dive, some of the more unscrupulous banks took the liberty of calling in any loans where debt equity ratios had fallen below their normal lending criteria even though those mortgagees were still quite capable of covering their interest payments. This forced many owners into bank controlled mortgagee sales at bargain basement prices. A short time later that land had regained almost all of it's value again, producing some very p*ssed off farmers.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Quite true!
Over here in Australia, when land values last took a major dive, some of the more unscrupulous banks took the liberty of calling in any loans where debt equity ratios had fallen below their normal lending criteria even though those mortgagees were still capable of covering their interest payments. This forced many owners into bank controlled mortgagee sales at bargain basement prices. A short time later that land had regained almost all of it's value again, producing some some very p*ssed off farmers.
They still are

·
Registered
689 Posts
No.
Not more than Claas @ 6%.
Major Ag equipment manufacturer - not just every two bit company that thinks they can build a combine:sFun_nahnahna:

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Not so. John Deere spends more in R&D in total, and as a percent of income, than any other major Ag equipment manufacturer.

"Deere’s scale in the agriculture business has provided it with an enormous edge against its competitors. Its agriculture sales were almost twice that of CNH (CNH revenue figures above include commercial vehicles) and three times that of AGCO. The company also dedicates a larger percentage of its revenue toward R&D (more than 4% of revenues), which causes the R&D gap between Deere and its competitors to increase even further. Exaggerating these effects, Deere focuses its efforts on a single brand—John Deere. The roll-up strategies of its smaller competitors have left them supporting multiple brands (for example: Agco has Challenger, FENDT, Massey Ferguson, and Valtra). The ability to dedicate a significant amount of spend to a single brand has created a wonderful positive feedback loop (Research spend improves design/fuel efficiency, which ensures market share, which provides for greater research spend creating superior products). Deere’s quality (Nothing Runs Like a Deere) has also allowed it to build significant goodwill in the form customer loyalty, with many farming families using Deere equipment over multiple generations."

https://www.gurufocus.com/news/270917/bet-the-farm-on-deere
Deere spends 4% of revenues searching patents? Or 1% searching and 3% trying to figure out the patents?

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Well John Deere may not have come out with a new combine but this thread is sure producing some good laughs. Thanks guys.:biggrin:

·
Registered
762 Posts

"Deere’s scale in the agriculture business has provided it with an enormous edge against its competitors. Its agriculture sales were almost twice that of CNH (CNH revenue figures above include commercial vehicles) and three times that of AGCO. The company also dedicates a larger percentage of its revenue toward R&D (more than 4% of revenues), which causes the R&D gap between Deere and its competitors to increase even further..................... (Research spend improves design/fuel efficiency, which ensures market share, which provides for greater research spend creating superior products). Deere’s quality (Nothing Runs Like a Deere) has also allowed it to build significant goodwill in the form customer loyalty, with many farming families using Deere equipment over multiple generations."............./QUOTE]

If Deere is so fantastic why is my tractor sitting in the shed with a ro**ed head, my header just had a massive failure in the unloader, and my seeder has to have big dollars spent on it every year replacing aluminum and steel components that should never be there (should be stainless).
Don't get me wrong, must of my gear is green but I'm not colour blind. And I can see where they take the quick easy way instead of doing it properly.

·
Registered
689 Posts
If Deere is so fantastic why is my tractor sitting in the shed with a ro**ed head, my header just had a massive failure in the unloader, and my seeder has to have big dollars spent on it every year replacing aluminum and steel components that should never be there (should be stainless).
Don't get me wrong, must of my gear is green but I'm not colour blind. And I can see where they take the quick easy way instead of doing it properly.
Pretty much. In our area, parts and service for Deere is by far the best. Nation wide, parts and service for older Deere equipment (compared to older equipment of other makes) is second to none.

If Deere isn't the best, then why do they have the largest market share by a good margin?

And no, I'm not one of the color blind people that wears green colored glasses and underwear - I even have a Farmall H parked in the shelter belt to prove it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
JD marketing is the best. My brothers city kids even know what JD is. You go into the JD dealers and it's all toys in the shop. Oil and parts are out the back. Agco wanting 50 million brands is a head f--k. The poor dealers having to be experts on all the brands and in my experience the dealers have to sort out the problems ( mainly software) as the expertise doesn't seem to exist up higher. My neighbour also has a 9400 siting in the shed with a stuffed head and motor and the combines are far from perfect. I have a 9200 and it's been a great tractor with virtually no issues from new 17 years ago. In saying that I wouldn't have a clue what main tractor I would by next as I'm not convinced the later JD are all that good.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
I own almost equal numbers of all different brands, NH, Case, Deere, Bourgualt, Seedhawk, Macdon, and Flexi coil and I wouldn’t say one has better reliability or durability than the other. Green marketing just makes people think they are better.

221 - 240 of 257 Posts