The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
1.5" over 10hrs. 15 Miles west of saskatoon. Steady lighting and thunder the entire time. Never experienced steady thunder over that long of a period before. Beautiful rain.

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
Anyone else here of the mess in Michigan? One dam broke and a down stream dam was capped and said failure was imminent.

Wish tbone was still active to fill us in if he's close or knows anything. Sounds like a ridiculous amount of rain in a short period.
Funny you mentioned him, I had thought similar and had already sent a note to see how things are. Apparently he is wet where he is, 6 inches in a bit over 24 hours, roads and more washed out, but the worst of the damage and water is about fifty miles away and luckily for him, is flowing even further away. Other areas got 8 inches plus. Thats a lot of water...

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Funny you mentioned him, I had thought similar and had already sent a note to see how things are. Apparently he is wet where he is, 6 inches in a bit over 24 hours, roads and more washed out, but the worst of the damage and water is about fifty miles away and luckily for him, is flowing even further away. Other areas got 8 inches plus. Thats a lot of water...
What was the deal with him MIA? Something with his account or what not? I just remember you trying to get admin to help him out but obviously nothing happened. Wonder why he couldn't make a new account, good poster and seemed like a good guy.

·
Registered
486 Posts
1.5" over 10hrs. 15 Miles west of saskatoon. Steady lighting and thunder the entire time. Never experienced steady thunder over that long of a period before. Beautiful rain.
Yup, had about first 0.75" dump in about an hour @ Saskatoon, and had a pretty steady dump for the first few hours of the store. Ended up with just under 2" in the gauge this morning.
Bloody winds though. At least it dumped before the wind got too bad to keep the dust from flying.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
East of Taber, AB about a half hour. Been a light rain steady for the last 48 hours. Yesterday the gauge read an inch, at lunch time today it read just over 2" and just before supper it was closing in on 3" Most of that is soaking in, but water is starting to pool on the fields in a few places. It's been really dry here, so once the sunshine comes out, I think most of those spots will soak in. This rain will make the dryland crops this year. I think we've over 25% of last year's total growing season rain fall in the last 24 hours. The prairie grass is going to look wonderful and green for a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
2 inches and counting. Been years since a nice general rain in May. Best thing is is that’s it’s a large area. All of southern Alberta needed it.

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
1.5-2" all around my area. North of Shelby and Chester, Montana. Was perfect timing for most. Just finished seeding and it was getting dry. Grass was getting dry but not showing it much yet. I think my yard grew 6" during this rain. Love it! Now to get back to work. I need to slow some growth in a few fields, put it to a full halt really. Still have some fallow that needs covered. Tansy mustard is just starting to bolt.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
If we get 2 inches of rain we will be screwed. No rain yet except right after the snow melted, still close to saturation. About an hour north of Brandon.

·
Registered
871 Posts
After 3 years of drought this general Southern Alberta rain sure is nice. My gauge showed 2.8".

Last year's total rainfall for the growing season was 3.6" and there was also zero sub moisture to start the growing season. 2019 is a year I'd like to forget.

Took a highway crop tour and was surprised how well the land was taking it. Some runoff for sure and some sloughs got bigger, but for the most part most of it went in.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
West central AB.
On Thursday we've had:
Over 2.25 inches of rain.
Hail suppression plane working right overhead( at least I assume that is what it was, usually only see them in July/August).
Ground white with snow Didn't really expect to see those two events happening on the same day.
Relentless wind. Strong enough to blow metal corral panels down, and there isn't much wind resistance to them.

Another day and a half of rain in forecast, then only 2 sunny days, then more rain.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Rain a little last night enuf to stop. South of winnipeg.
we will get going by 9:00
I never had a spring with so many brake downs. Not expensive just time consuming!!
We’re on the home stretch another 10 days or so.
fingers cross. Lol.

·
Registered
729 Posts
West central AB.
On Thursday we've had:
Over 2.25 inches of rain.
Hail suppression plane working right overhead( at least I assume that is what it was, usually only see them in July/August).
Ground white with snow Didn't really expect to see those two events happening on the same day.
Relentless wind. Strong enough to blow metal corral panels down, and there isn't much wind resistance to them.

Another day and a half of rain in forecast, then only 2 sunny days, then more rain.
I am thinking I am not more than 30 miles east of there and just barely 1" rain, no snow since late Wednesday night - very different picture. Very good relative conditions here all May. Should be done seeding, but had a few extras that adding on so about 300a left. Peas been sprayed(heat) 3 days ago, wheat out of ground few ".

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Holy Crap, was checking if the window was up in my old dodge water truck when that storm that hit PA was going by, Lightning like crazy, I was walking back to the house and lighting hit the ground about 100' away from me. Scared the crap out of me. It was one of those that zap multiple times quickly. What a loud crackle, Lol like a scene out of the war of the worlds. I went yesterday to see if it made a mark on the ground, didn't see anything.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I am thinking I am not more than 30 miles east of there and just barely 1" rain, no snow since late Wednesday night - very different picture. Very good relative conditions here all May. Should be done seeding, but had a few extras that adding on so about 300a left. Peas been sprayed(heat) 3 days ago, wheat out of ground few ".
I was looking at the records for Sundre, half hour south of me for another thread. Have had precipitation on 20 out of 22 days so far in May. I wouldn't really call that very good relative conditions. Been chased out of the field almost daily.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone else here of the mess in Michigan? One dam broke and a down stream dam was capped and said failure was imminent.

Wish tbone was still active to fill us in if he's close or knows anything. Sounds like a ridiculous amount of rain in a short period.

I'm 1.5 hrs south of there. We got about 4 inches out of it. Possible replant in some areas yet to be determined. Soybeans just popping through when it hit. It rained HARD for a while.

·
Registered
369 Posts
While I'm glad some of you that need rain got it just remember that there are area's of Alberta that basically can not handle anymore rain. Just about two inches here 45 minutes west of Edmonton near Onoway with an inch of snow this morning. We are half seeded and have no idea how the other half will get in the ground. Still have 120 acres of last years crop to deal with as well. Its getting to the point its becoming impossible to farm in this country more then what you can seed in 5 or 6 days.

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
What was the deal with him MIA? Something with his account or what not? I just remember you trying to get admin to help him out but obviously nothing happened. Wonder why he couldn't make a new account, good poster and seemed like a good guy.
Well he is kind of like me and is not surgically attached to electronic devices lol, he always relied on his work computer to follow along and post on here, and when they updated the site, his computer operating system wasn't compatible anymore. Seems like they aren't into the latest tech either except with the cnc and other machines in the shop. He says they are supposed to be giving him a new computer this summer. Not much different than me really, only time I come on here is when sitting at my desk, have no idea what the site looks like on a phone...but then I'm the guy still running the almost ten year old cell phone too lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was looking at the records for Sundre, half hour south of me for another thread. Have had precipitation on 20 out of 22 days so far in May. I wouldn't really call that very good relative conditions. Been chased out of the field almost daily.
Yeah, I'm just north of Sundre. About 4" of wet snow sitting on the ground last night. In total about 2-1/2" of precip overnight. Last night I even lowered myself to pouring some RV antifreeze in the sprayer and circulating it around. The air drill looks pretty sad sitting in the field, covered in snow.
I was wondering how many times in the past has anyone seen the same crop get snowed under, in 2 different cropping years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
While I'm glad some of you that need rain got it just remember that there are area's of Alberta that basically can not handle anymore rain. Just about two inches here 45 minutes west of Edmonton near Onoway with an inch of snow this morning. We are half seeded and have no idea how the other half will get in the ground. Still have 120 acres of last years crop to deal with as well. Its getting to the point its becoming impossible to farm in this country more then what you can seed in 5 or 6 days.

Yep same here hour NW of Edmonton more water laying and running than spring melt. Only 1/3 complete on seeding by the time a guy can get going again it will be to late for wheat and canola I think, never have seen so much water around, have a half section that don’t think I will be able to do much with this year anymore. This is going on 5 five years of this, guess I about at the end of my rope!!

21 - 40 of 67 Posts