The Combine Forum banner

101 - 120 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Got around 3/4" here, most of it in 20 minutes which will pack the soil nice and get some good germination of the oil seeds going finally. Saturday was a tough one with EC Regina showing 31C max and gusts over 80 kph for a few hours, sustained winds over 50 kph for around 10 hours. Really needed this rain.

·
Registered
426 Posts
You can have some of our rain. Some crops beginning to discolor because of wet feet.
Spraying is becoming a challenge. This week looks a little more promising weather wise.
We are an hour and a half drive NW of Edmonton.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
45 miles east of Edmonton, 8/10" last night. 4/10" over the weekend plus all the other rains prior. We are soaked. Crops are stressed almost as much as the farmers. Roughly 70% to seed yet and the forecast looks like crap. First time in 20 years of spraying I will be doing in crop and burn off together. Only ones happy are the ducks and mosquitoes.

·
Registered
426 Posts
45 miles east of Edmonton, 8/10" last night. 4/10" over the weekend plus all the other rains prior. We are soaked. Crops are stressed almost as much as the farmers. Roughly 70% to seed yet and the forecast looks like crap. First time in 20 years of spraying I will be doing in crop and burn off together. Only ones happy are the ducks and mosquitoes.
We only got a couple tenths last night, thankfully. Majority of the fields got seeded here. Going to be some late canola crops though. Mosquitoes doing well here too! Too dry is easier to deal with than too wet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
8.5 tenths over the weekend hour nw of Edmonton, 30% left to seed.
Every tenth looks like a inch, not sure what is better. Seed everything and watch it drowned or leave things unseeded for the year. Guess I have a couple weeks yet to make cow feed

·
Registered
469 Posts
Seed everything and watch it drowned or leave things unseeded for the year.
Too bad our government cant afford pre-plant acres like in the united states. Our crop insurance in Canada wants you to try to seed till your blue in the face even if the odds are heavily stacked against you. Never works to force a crop into poor , poor conditions, only to get low crop insurance payments that doesn't cover all your costs. Seen it , been thru it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went by your area yesterday to pull somethIng home from sale by Myrnam, I read on hear how wet is and then see it with my own eyes... there is a lot of water standing.
I saw a Belarus 4wd hooked up to pull type sprayer, I forgot about that time honoured strategy.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Is everyone's weather getting better? I'm not sure what we need more of, rain or heat? Been a lot of days only in mid teens and single digit lows, had the odd hot day mixed in, but not many. All the crops jumped up quick to start, but have really slowed now. Not desparate for rain, but sure wouldn't hurt, maybe just over an inch since we finished seeding. Not many weeds coming but imagine as soon as it rains they will, almost done spraying. Low spots are yellowing, thinking because they are still so wet and no heat, or no roots to take in nitrogen maybe? Doesn't look like much hay for the cattle guys, ditches are maybe knee high when they would normally be almost waist high by now, my lawn is getting brown, still some green in it but once it gets a couple inches high it goes to seed, thinking stress causes that? Have only had to cut it maybe 3 times so far.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Is everyone's weather getting better?
Oh hell no. We were in near perfect rain conditions. Since last Friday some immediate areas have received 12"+ rain. Flood levels are still rising and will crest at record levels.

3 pics from my pasture at the epicenter of rain event. The 2 access road pics are taken at 10:00 and 15:30, somewhere from 12-16" increase in that time.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Wow. Good luck cptusa.
Here I need the wind to slow down.
I would like to finish spraying.
Wind from hell every day it seams
I'm starting to fall behind

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
Been three or four good days so far with no rain, well few showers this afternoon but nothing really. More in forecast though. I should be able to hit that oat stubble where I spun out with the Gator the other day measuring fences, still wet, but if I'm careful don't think I'll bury the Versy doing about two thirds of that piece, water standing on some still. Summerfallow from last year, ha, guess again, not a chance of even driving across that yet. Same with where oat swaths still laying.
Been busy wacking posts and stringing wire, sure easy to tell how the formations change in the subsoil as you move along some distance across a quarter. With things so water logged, places where there is that sand and gravel layer full of water, had some posts that went the last foot in a single drop of the hammer. Even in the clay, easiest pounding I have seen in a long time. Was some places where I could actually see the ground move and bounce, just from the weight of the hammer dropping on the post, never have seen that before except when I would wait for a bit of frost to hold up the tractor and pounder to cross some muskeg, kind of freaky when never mind feel the earth move, you can actually see it happening. Its literally floating on water in places. Got a bit close to the one line stringing wire with the spool trailer behind the 4620, caught a post with the end of the axle, laid the post right over, never even cracked it, just smushed the mud out of the way.
On another note, hoky smokes is the hay growing with this bit of heat, some I've been driving past daily has shot up over a foot in just the last few days. Now if only can get some weather to get it dry would be nice, won't be nothing to combine this fall but least I could get my horsey hay crowd back, that stuff pays good too.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Oh hell no. We were in near perfect rain conditions. Since last Friday some immediate areas have received 12"+ rain. Flood levels are still rising and will crest at record levels.

3 pics from my pasture at the epicenter of rain event. The 2 access road pics are taken at 10:00 and 15:30, somewhere from 12-16" increase in that time.
CPT USA, sorry for the excess moisture, In your opinion what is the corn crop and bean crops like in Iowa , Indiana, and Illinois. I heard Indiana beans were suffering, but according to the crop report at 71% good to excellent is that a true picture of the US bean crop.
Last year I got 8 inches in 2 days and had fish swimming in my bean fields so i can feel your frustration!

·
Super Moderator
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
You have a pm Oat King, called a conversation now, click your avatar top right corner.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Jesus we can't get a rain no matter what it seems. Been several big systems build up to the west, as they get near us, it either splits and goes around us, or disappears completely. Same again tonight, looked dark, lots of thunder and lightning, got about 20 drops. Finally got some warmer days to get the crop going, stuff actually looks good, but late. The forecast has some low 20's with chances of showers for the next week, the rain would be nice but if we go a week of cloudy and cooler weather but don't get any rain, I'm getting a little worried about the crop making it before a frost, we can't have too many wasted growing days from here on out. There are quite a few crops in the area even later than ours. Good thing we have our hail insurance on, might be our saving grace!! Oh and today, 34 degrees and Fn' windy.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Wish I could have sent you the rain from our storm this afternoon. Except it had rain, wind, and hail in it. Wiped out a few local fields. sigh. Not sure what is worse. drought or hail.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sounds pretty much the same as here kevlar...I guess if you are near riding mountain only bout an hour and a half east...I thought by the sounds of dauphin radio yous were getting a few showers out that way...

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
We farm on the south side of Riding Mountain, the elevation sure affects the weather. It seems when it's wet, we get extra, when it's dry, we miss the rains. Still lots of lightning, but it's going to the south and east. Fortunately, our land really holds moisture well, which explains my hatred of excessive rain, and a rainy period in the forecast causes fear.

Reactions: bap
101 - 120 of 223 Posts