The Combine Forum banner

141 - 160 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Holy $hit! WTF just happened?????? Major flooding, will post pics later. Between 7-10 inches. CBC and CTV are out. Planes flying around, dam in trouble, possibly breaking. Will fill in more later.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
This thing was erupting just east of us around dark last night. You sure knew it was going to be serious somewhere. It tracked north-north east into Brandon. As stated by others the lightning glow and thunder was constant. We only had a gentle rain in almost calm conditions here. There are some Brandon videos and photos in this.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5630936

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Got all I can do done for now, basements pumped out and changed parents pressure system that got submerged. Was going to go back to town to see if there was anything I could do but am pretty much landlocked now with bridges and roads washed out. My kids are at grandparents since last night, not sure if I can get to them or not. Here are a few pics.

IMG_1946.JPG My gauge, but sounds like the general rain fall was closer to 10.

IMG_1948.JPG One of our fields with a water run, sometimes gets like this in the spring.

IMG_1950.JPG Just one of almost every road. Literally.

IMG_2008.JPG This road has never been breached. Has a 12 foot culvert through it. In the spring it will get maybe 10 feet deep. Estimate it would be 60 feet deep as of this picture.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Some more.
IMG_2002.JPG Minnedosa Lake, normally the deck on that building would be 10 feet above the water level, this was first thing this morning, it rose since this was taken, lake would be 5-6 feet above normal levels.

IMG_1988.JPG This is the Minnedosa Dam early this morning, it has since risen above the metal platform, there was fear of the dam letting go, but as of yet, haven't heard of any evacuations in town yet. The top logs would be 6-7 feet below the water.

Will show some more later, going to watch the news.

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
Jesus we can't get a rain no matter what it seems. .
Well my friend, becareful what you ask for, you just might get it....
Not making light of the situation, welcome now to the club...hope everyone is safe, thats the most important.
More rain yesterday and more forecast for later in the week for me and others...like I said last nite to Beerwieser, its starting to take its toll, least I got newborn calves to keep me occupied, **** I can't even go fencing I'll bury the 3020 and pounder lol

·
Registered
658 Posts
I feel for you guys, we've been lucky here with nice soaking rains. I don't seed much but I did have to ride the diff lock from one end of the field to the other in the gumbo. Good land was no problem.

The furnace is turned down to 60F, it still runs just about every night, Greta, where is this warming you talk about?

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Kevlar that is exactly what we looked like last weekend. Old timers said it was the worst flood since 1973. Water over roads everywhere, freaking mess. I will take a drought any day, any year, any time over too much rain.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Something else...drought...flood...I don't know which i dislike more...

2014 we had a june flood as bad as the 50's but I live right beside the assinniboine river on high ground and we enjoyed boating on that flood...it also didn't come all in one storm either...

Crazy...

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Came across this tonight, you would think when there is water going over every road every half mile or so, you would slow down, there was skid marks for a good 50 yards, not including the skid marks in his underwear!
IMG_2015.JPG

Won't be trains running for a few days.
IMG_1995.JPG

IMG_2006.JPG Need a boat just to get out to the boat launch!

All in all we're pretty lucky,many worse off than we are, one advantage to living at the top of the world I guess. Surprisingly not a lot of damage to crops, I would have expected more damage and washouts, but don't see too many from the roads. Crop is still standing nicely, some of the first barley is heading out. No doubt there will be some drowned out.

On the bright side, we are most likely done spraying!

Also got the camper moved to dad's valley land early with big intentions of doing a lot of camping, bad part is there is no way to get to it now, and likely won't all summer, unless we get a helicopter. Road washed out on the way in to it, and by washed out I mean 7-8 feet deep, and 50 yards wide, will take hundreds of yards of material to make it passable. 😞

·
Premium Member
8,230 Posts
You still have your head above water Kevlar? I see more rain heading that way tonight.

Somehow we skated through this three day system with only a little over a half inch today, although it is still rumbling outside.

Hugely powerful storms with lots of lightning and thunder, was told the Sunday storm Kevlar posted pictures about had cloud deck up to 80,000 feet!!!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
So far doing ok at home, my sister in Minnedosa said they had a little over 2 inches about an hour ago. Raining here with a lot of lightning, looking at radar it might just be beginning. Surprised at how well the fields looked today, no washouts that I can see, maybe enough root structure to hold soil? Was surprised that the RM was fixing my road first, but of all the roads around, it will need the least amount of work, it's passable now. Have never seen so many roads washed out and to such a degree. Only way we will get into our camper this year will be to go across our field. I just went to see how bad the road was, a neighbor sent pics yesterday but they don't show the magnitude of the damage, it's unbelievable.
My RM declared a state of emergency yesterday and Minnedosa did today. My sister said they set of the hall for anyone who wanted to evacuate tonight.

IMG_2027.JPG This is a picture of some of the road into where we have our campers. If you look just above and to the left of my kids, you can see the other side of the road, that part goes down into a pit. The washout is as wide directly to the left of where they are standing, where the road is into our campers. That was all solid ground with huge boulders except for a narrow ditch to the left of the kids.

IMG_2035.JPG This is looking directly to the left of where my kids were in the other pic. A good 50 yards wide and a 12-14 feet deep.

IMG_2036.JPG And somehow all that water went across this road first and left it somewhat intact, not sure how.

And as I finish typing this, it is now raining fairly hard.

Glad to hear you are getting some nice rains out of this. Good thing it was getting dry here, at least the water left behind has soaked in. You wouldn't think we had that much rain yesterday by driving through the yard, but we are high elevation, it's the poor people downstream who really pay.

·
Premium Member
5,446 Posts
Swman I thought you would be drowned out. It sounds like your summer has been much like ours for rain fall and wind. Kevlar seems to be hogging all rain. Hopefully that rain Kevlar has not ruined too much crop or infrastructure. The biggest rain we have had at our yard this year was 3/10. Every system seems to be going around us. Our big rain event this past three days have give us 2/10ths.

·
Premium Member
8,230 Posts
Those pictures are insane, will be a lot of cleanup to do for sure. Seems the jet-stream or something kept this all just west of us until today. Actually raining again so we might get close to an inch before it's over. These weather patterns seem to always hit the same spots repeatedly, I remember in 2012 when we got 45" over the course of the spring-fall time frame, that was a nightmare and I'm okay with the last few dry years we have been getting. I guess there is a reason they say: "It only rains when it pours". Hopefully things average out a bit for everyone from now on.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Those pictures are insane, will be a lot of cleanup to do for sure. Seems the jet-stream or something kept this all just west of us until today. Actually raining again so we might get close to an inch before it's over. These weather patterns seem to always hit the same spots repeatedly, I remember in 2012 when we got 45" over the course of the spring-fall time frame, that was a nightmare and I'm okay with the last few dry years we have been getting. I guess there is a reason they say: "It only rains when it pours". Hopefully things average out a bit for everyone from now on.
wait does that say 45 inches!?

·
Premium Member
8,230 Posts
wait does that say 45 inches!?
Yeah we never missed anything all year. That is the reason I have tracks on the combine and always will.

That fall you could look 50 feet from the top of the hills and there was little washouts already starting, had several 5"+ rains.

Some of the farm had less but a good chunk would have been around that. Spruce trees in the yard got sick with some sort of nutrient deficiency and the well overflowed for a year after!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Haven't checked yet. Two sump pumps cutting in every couple minutes in my basement. Heard the road west of me that they fixed yesterday is washed out again. Just heading to Minnedosa with pumps for my brothers house. Sounds like Minnedosa got hit hard again, not as much rain this time but nothing left to hold any water back. The town had a freak out last night as the siren had a malfunction and kept going steady, earlier in the day the town had told everyone that if the siren runs steady to evacuate. Looked by the radar last night the storm went a little more to the east of us. Gravel has to come from Neepawa area as all the roads to any pits here are now washed out.

Happy Canada Day! lol

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Wow those pics are nuts, we had flooding and it was a mess but infrastructure was basically left intact. Water shut off now again. Sadly the day after the water goes down a guy needs a half inch to wash mud of the plants and get them going again, it usually does not come or it comes with 4 extra inches. Hot and humid here now, perfect corn growing weather.

141 - 160 of 221 Posts