The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to the forum and was wondering if I could get some questions answered. I am still in high school and as part of my SAE project I raise corn and soybeans. The spring of 2016 I will be going from 10 acres to 80 acres. I will be needing bigger tillage equipment, we are covered on tractors though. We have a 220 that need work but I have time and enough money to do so. Will a 7 shank sunflower disk chisel plow with 24 inch spacing be too much for it. And how big of a disk would work on it. Also through a program with FFA I can get all new tires, which it needs. I want some duals for it what do I need to put the duals on with, and where can I get the required hardware for duals? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
If you are dealing on new tires a good tire dealer has a big incentive to find you a good price on a simple spacer style clamp on dual rim set. Allis did have a cast cone that bolted to the cast centre of the existing wheel that then had studs on the end that a steel dish rim bolted on to, but it was pretty rare. Those are about your only two options if you don't have long axels. You might get lucky and find what you need at a wrecker. Several models of that vintage could have been ordered with your tire size.

I'm not sure that you would need duals, depending on what size you have, if you went with a decent quality modern radial tire. The tractor is a pretty heavy unit for 136 PTO horsepower.

TractorData.com Allis Chalmers 220 tractor information

It's cool that you want to save the tractor. ;)

Most of those that went to western Canada would have been equipped with factory duals, but most likely also with long axels and four cast wheels. They can be as heavy as 20050 lbs. :eek:

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have one with 20.8 x 38 duals, they are axle mounted hub style, much like the International 86, 88 series. You will want the duals to pull your chisel plow. We have pulled a 24' 1400 AC C shank cultivator with ours and our 210 as well. 20' disc should be no problem unless it is a heavy ripping type disc. Don't let any tire salesman sell you bias ply tires for that tractor, we changed ours over to the radials and it is unbelievable the increase in traction.

You have lots of tractor for 80 acres there...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.