The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with one of these? I know parts will probably be aftermarket only or be used. I mean 200 bales of straw and grass hay shouldn't be that hard on one should it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Haven't used one but the few I have seen, guys sure bragged them up. Like any of them, check it over.
If it was me I would just hire it done. I use about 100hay and 150 straw small bales a year.

I have a friend that puts up 4000 for himself and 10-15000 for other poeple and I either buy/trade from him or have him stop by if hes close by when I have hay down. Just wasn't worth the hassle. By the time I hook up,grease,and set the baler they could be in the barn.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't used one but the few I have seen, guys sure bragged them up. Like any of them, check it over.
If it was me I would just hire it done. I use about 100hay and 150 straw small bales a year.

I have a friend that puts up 4000 for himself and 10-15000 for other poeple and I either buy/trade from him or have him stop by if hes close by when I have hay down. Just wasn't worth the hassle. By the time I hook up,grease,and set the baler they could be in the barn.
Well the custom guy retired this year, and he wouldn't do your ground, unless you were doing at least 4000 small squares. Otherwise he would sell ditch hay and rotary(powder) straw, neither of which was very good.

Otherwise everything out here is 6x5 round bales.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I know nothing about AC square balers ( we do have a functional roto baler though), but I would be really surprised if they actually built the baler themselves in that era, probably has lots in common with, if not exactly the same as many other struggling brands of the same era who were trying to be full line providers on a shoe string budget. A google search indicates that they shared common knotters with other brands. Most other parts are probably easy to fabricate, and big parts like gear boxes would be worth so much compared to the baler that it wouldn't matter if parts were available or not if it fails.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Well the custom guy retired this year, and he wouldn't do your ground, unless you were doing at least 4000 small squares. Otherwise he would sell ditch hay and rotary(powder) straw, neither of which was very good.

Otherwise everything out here is 6x5 round bales.
Gotcha. My friend didnt mean to do custom work but nobody does it around here either. So he just has a few guys and couple small jobs he does.

If its priced right get it and use it. Like others said shouldn't be alot you cant get or make work for it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
We had one of the first produced models. Pickup ran at an excessive speed, so fast it would throw lighter to moderate windrows before picking up an accumulated ball of hay, often plugging the chamber. Also had an interesting issue where it would bale fine for 50 to 100 bales, then miss-tie 3 bales, never 2, never 4. Dealer sent the regional service manager out and he changed the drive on the pickup and installed new knotters which (he said) were built by the Oliver/Cockshutt Company at the time; - not sure if the entire baler was built by Oliver/Cockshutt but the knotters definitely were. It was a great machine for many years after.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts