The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new used engine wire harness this week after engine fire caused by old alternator burning up last fall. The replacement alerternator came from same junk yard and is plug type with three wires and main positive connection on back. My old alternator was more round in the back and was hard wired if I remember correctly. The alteranator does not seem to be putting out enough or any voltage , (about 12.6) is there anything to check before replacing it with a new alternator? New batteries work good but I am afraid they are not going to last long if my charge rate is too low. I did have some mice living in the elctrical cabinet and repaired two chewed up wires by diode assembly? Anything else to check before buying a new alternator?

·
Registered
491 Posts
You can remove your alternator and have it tested before you replace it. Napa or an auto electrical shop can do it. Would help to know what kind of alternator you had and what you have now. Assuming you had a Niehoff and now have a Delco?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
You have a Delco alternator, looking at back of alternator on l/h side with key one left wire should have voltage going to alternator, right hand side should be positive voltage, what you can try is use a jumper between plastic plug between terminals after voltage is verified, hot stud needs 12 volts constant, if that doesn't work, you have a bad alternator, Scott.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks very good advice tswanson, I think it was a Niehoff alternator, Scott the delco has three wire plug and rear of alternator has output stud. What do you mean l/h side? Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
End up having
napa check it out, bad alternator, bought new alternator and seems to work fine

·
Registered
10 Posts
just a thought did you know that when a 10 si delco alt. is charging the center bearing on the rear will become magnetized .... its a quick check when trying to figure it out .... then all u have to do is just put 12 volts of power to all the termanals on the rear to check the alt to see if its working ....

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Is your tach working, I don't remember where combine gets its signal, if tach is working don't worry about, some mfg,s used this spade to sense rpm off alternator speed, Scott.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts