The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a S77, neighbor and good friend near me has a S78. Neither one of us are happy with our radio reception. Both of us have Delphi radios. There are so few radio stations that can be received it is sad. A guy spends an enormous amount of money on a combine and a person would think you could have a radio that could pick up a radio station 25 miles away. Nieghbor's Deere tractors have awesome reception, our MF tractors are mediocre. My ford pickup is like the neighbor's deere, it can bring in stations 60 miles away. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how have you fixed it ?
Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
In the 1980's I had a large non directional fm antenna mounted on the cab of my main tractor. They will turn almost any faint signal into a usable one. Another unique upside is their frequency is close enough to both channel 4 or 5 VHF television that you can watch local TV stations in the tractor if you still have any in your area. It was a smart idea at the time, farming too much and sleeping every second night was a dumb one though. I actually just needed it for the television in a John Deere.

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
The radio in my Claas's have been so piss poor I don't listen to the radio at all.
I think the reception would be great, if you happen to harvest the field that surrounds the broadcast tower of your favorite station.:(

·
Registered
927 Posts
I had a delphi in my Rogator same problem couldn't get a single station dealer come out installed a new one same thing, then they did some setting on the radio and it worked.
So we'll see this spring if it really solved the problem.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
It looks like the current crop of omnidirectional antennaes is a little less Jetson's like in appearance.

Eagle FM 360 Antennas Omni Direct Outdoor Heavy Duty High Gain Long Range New | eBay

It seems my wife gave my old one away to her friend that once lived in the middle of nowhere in Saskatchewan. Apparently she was told it worked fabulous in their home !

On a tractor, I just had it a couple of inches above the roof but ideally on a combine it should have line of sight above the edge of the grain tank. As I recall it had a couple of weak directions that made the television staticky but if you were working a heading or a given situation you could just turn the antenna a few degrees to solve that. To do that I used a single central mounting point. In that case with a long bolt and a spacer snugged onto the center of the main frame. They are very light weight aluminum.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Try unhooking the ground wire behind the anntenia mount. Brother accidentally left it unhooked when he swaped anntenias between machines and then reallized he left it unhooked on the mechine he swapped with. He went to hook it back up and radio went to crap. Have not went to figure it out but I bet that ground wire gets to close to an electronically noisy wire. I believe this was for AM but not positive

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.