The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We pay levies each and every tonne and commodit.y

Peaves me no end when go to a farmers forum grdc for example and get slugged 120 bucks fo priveledge to listen to some hashed over research that be done a million times.

Another smaller beef subscriptions to computer programmes agrimaster Phoenix agworld PAM etc keep going up

end of winge

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Agreed STO. Constantly reinventing the wheel at our expense. I don't go to GRDC meetings for the reasons you mentioned. I got better ways to spend my time and money. Most of the "revolutionary" new breakthroughs they come up with can be found in 100 year old farming handbooks. I have one right here and I can prove it.
Also I detest my levies being used to help fund new seed varieties in cahoots with private companies, who I then have to pay end point royalties to... seed I already f******g funded. Unbelievable! What a rort!

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Best of to pay a kid to build excel format of PAM and just use that year to year etc.

You can split cost to other farmers etc.

Ant...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed STO. Constantly reinventing the wheel at our expense. I don't go to GRDC meetings for the reasons you mentioned. I got better ways to spend my time and money. Most of the revolutionary new breakthroughs they come up with can be found in 100 year old farming handbooks. I have one right here and I can prove it.
Also I detest my levies being used to help fund new seed varieties---in cahoots with private companies no less--- which I then have to pay end point royalty on... seed I already f****ing funded. Unbelievable!
Am I allowed to have another beef ?
Domestic market is flying due to drought and feedlots etc etc
But breeders of wheat and barley continue breeding H1 wheat and malt for fs sake ive got to mega feed mills 35 kms away that want asw wheat and feed barley. I want high yielding asw and feed barley resistant to leaf diseases nothing more nothing less

·
Registered
206 Posts
Am I allowed to have another beef ?
Domestic market is flying due to drought and feedlots etc etc
But breeders of wheat and barley continue breeding H1 wheat and malt for fs sake ive got to mega feed mills 35 kms away that want asw wheat and feed barley. I want high yielding asw and feed barley resistant to leaf diseases nothing more nothing less
Surely they could breed something into the high yielding red wheats that actually had some protein building ability. No one wants wheat that's only making 9-10% protein

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think a lot of the problem with the breeders is that a lot of them don't do much breeding as such, but import a lot of varieties from overseas and then try to work out what might work here.
A bit of a shot gun approach but if you try enough different varieties then one or two might be ok.
A lot cheaper to have some contract trial operator over a few seasons try and sort out your best and worst performers compared to a full on breeding program that takes years to produce a good product.
I agree some of these seed companies are double dipping.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I think a lot of the problem with the breeders is that a lot of them don't do much breeding as such, but import a lot of varieties from overseas and then try to work out what might work here.
A bit of a shot gun approach but if you try enough different varieties then one or two might be ok.
A lot cheaper to have some contract trial operator over a few seasons try and sort out your best and worst performers compared to a full on breeding program that takes years to produce a good product.
I agree some of these seed companies are double dipping.
What the hang do they do with the millions they receive from GRDC & EPR's? Farmers are effectively partners in the business. Where's the transparency with farmers money???

·
Registered
206 Posts
What the hang do they do with the millions they receive from GRDC & EPR's? Farmers are effectively partners in the business. Where's the transparency with farmers money???
Use it to print glossy brochures to show how they had a yield bump of less then the site variance on this great new variety that falls over a month before harvest

1 - 9 of 9 Posts