The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1640 with 2700hrs HARD work under its belt worth £5000. The rotor is well worn so. Should I spend £35000 and buy a 98 2188 with 1850 hrs or spend £3000 on an axcellar rotor head and Gorden Bars and new bearings.

I cut 400 acres 700 tonnes wheat 250 tonnes barley 200 tonnes OSR (Canola) 50 tonnes peas and 60 tonnes Oats at moistures up to 28%.

My gut feeling is to stick with the 1640 as if it goes wrong then at least I can feel I can call a contractor without feeling too out of pocket and I know the machine, although she will not go on indefinitely. However not many AF's about and I don't know how an axcellar works in a 1640 currently I can get up to 16-18 tonnes an hour in wheat in good conditions although tough barley slows down to 8-10 tonnes.

Cheers BB

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Plowboy I am talking about this

http://www.stewartsteel.com/agparts.html

which I presume converts rotor to an afx style with the aid of the auger style front.

I know going to an 80/88 style may seem like a big leap but our 1640 has been maxed out in capacity due a number of factors.

1 The short weather windows we get here in Scotland
2 The large amount of straw put through the rotor 3-4 tonnes/ acre
3 3 out of the last 4 years I have used a contractor to harvest 50 acres of crop. at a cost of £1500
4 I will keep this machine for a long while and although axial flows are not plentiful they are cheap when compared with equivalent New Hollands and Claas. German built John Deere's of 90's vintage have a poor reputation mechanically, especially when working in our challenging climate.

Cheers BB

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a little experience with the SS Axceller that we installed in a 1480 combine before last harvest. The original standard rotor in the machine was in bad condition(fatigue cracking around bar mounts),so we purchased a used specialty rotor and installed it with a SS axceller auger front.
We really liked the smooth feed with the new rotor/axceller. Almost no thumping and rumble in damp conditions with capacity up an estimated 20%.

I don't know how much of the gain can be attributed to the specialty rotor or the Axceller auger front,but I would do it again.
Come to think of it,I guess I did do it again. The standard rotor in my 1482 pulltype pto combine went bad( lost two rotor bars and mounting brackets with many fatigue cracks around the rest of them. We installed the same setup in that one,(used specialty rotor and SS auger front) this was done after season,so will not get to try it untill next harvest. The 1482 is used mostly to harvest tough viney field pea, so the new rotor should really make harvest easier in those conditions. I very much wanted to try a SS Axceller auger front on a standard grain rotor, but both rotors died from old age and tough harvests (78 and 80 year model)before I had a chance to try that combo.

The 1480 has 12 nearly new Gorden bars at the front,with std bars on the rest of the rotor. It did a very good on hard threshing spring wheat(no white caps),yet seemed to handle tough damp conditions better than the std rotor with two elephant ears.

The 1482 has all std specialty bars that are aprox 50% worn. We thought we would leave them alone untill we see how they thresh an easy threshing crop like field pea. We are also curious to see if the std specialty bars handle tough green field pea vines better than the Gorden bars.

This is my first post. I like this site.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Jon, this is interesting. I don't have an Axial-Flow, but think they are magnificent machines.
I read about them to learn more about them. and like the ideas you have used.

By the way, I thouroughly enjoyed your post on New Ag Talk the other day about your 1480 who simply refuses to die. May the two of you indeed, have many more harvests together!!!

·
Registered
594 Posts
An auger style front end is absolutely worth the money. There are several to choose from. I've used both the axceller and the one manufactured by Loewen. I like the Loewen a little more because it has replaceable flighting. Kile Mfg also makes a simpler kit that is less expensive and a lot of people like it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts