The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't believe I haven't thought about asking this before, because we can't be the only one who have had trouble with the reception of the am radio.

Does anybody know why the reception is so bad especially with the machine on?

And has anybody come up with a fix short of putting in a new radio. Other than running a new ground, which has been a mediocre solution at best. We haven't come up with anything else, but I'm not a radio tech by any means.

It has been this way on all 6 machines we have had the last three years.

Hope somone has a suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
4,006 Posts
Radios on combine are garbage!
There was a thread a few months back that referred to different antenna setups.
Anyone?

Don

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm surprised they put AM in the radios anymore. Didn't know anyone listened to AM. Guess I didn't realize there were any guys that old still running combines...
.... My FM and CD player works great. Thinking of adding satellite radio though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oct 20, 2009, 9:08pm, jester wrote: You would think they could at least fit them with satalite??

Yup, once you guys put a satellite radio in, you will wonder why you didn't do it 5 years earlier. Will solve all the reception problems

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I still listen to AM, but since I installed Sirius the reception has been crap (and yes, I turned the Sirius receiver off). I know it worked fine for a couple days in September when I was cutting flowers, but since we started corn it's been nothing but static. Weather band is almost impossible to listen to, and sometimes I get really bad static when listening to sat radio. AM is perfectly fine with the key turned to ACC, though.

While typing this I started thinking about sources of interference. I know the fan is a big problem, but then I thought about the moisture sensor and CB radio. Maybe those are causing enough EM interference to drown out AM signals. We were having similar reception problems on the MX270 and the dealer offered to install some sort of isolator. I think they wanted around $350 for it.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
thats odd...ive had sirius farming since 02..and never any issues with signal... where's your antenna?

call and tell them your model and your haveing issues...belive me they will help.... very nice customer service..

Babbaboe BAbbabooee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i like listening to 550 in the afternoons from ST Louis... thats about it.... i can't stand limbaugh much anymore... he makes good points but same old stuff....

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
It isn't the Sirius's antenna that causes the problem, it's the FM transmitter in the receiver. When using the direct FM adapter it overpowers the AM and weather band signals. The 270 is the same way since we put a FM adapter in it. That isn't so big of a deal, just turn the Sirius off if you want to listen to AM; problem solved... except for the combine, which has other problems.

The moisture sensor, Sirius, CB, and, of course, the fan are all wired so they only come on when the key on ON. With the engine off and the key in ACC all the interference is eliminated and AM is clear. I'm just stumped as to why I'm suddenly getting this interference; maybe the antenna cable at the back of the radio is loose.

550AM out of Garden City is all ag, all the time; good source for market quotes and whatnot. And I do listen to Rush on occasion. Back years ago I used to listen to The 50,000 Watt Voice of the West, 850 KOA out of Denver, but for some reason I can't pick it up very well anymore. Maybe modern radios don't like AM. The Sports Zoo with Dave Logan and Scott Hastings was a brilliant show.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On our 8010 I moved the antenna to the right front mirror , and this reduced the static a lot.
The static is being transmitted through the air, and you need to get the antenna as far from the source of the static as possible.
Make sure your antenna connections are clean and tight and that the antenna has a clean ground.

I used a battery powered hand held AM radio to try to locate the source of the static.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We had the same issue with our new 5088 (combine). I switched a radio out from our MX tractor, same problem. It looks to be in the antenna. Dealer had it working, then not. I had it working, seems to be intermittent. Not sure if we need a better antenna, but the radio seems to be okay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, lol, it is not that I am old(31), its just that all the local sports shows that cover SEC football are on am.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We finally had our antenna replaced last week, it is better than before with no reception. However, we are now getting a lot of static and interference on AM band and weather band. As with others, it is fine with the engine off, but in the field it is very poor.

Grain cart tractor next to the combine with same radio has no problems with reception. What is causing the interference? It is getting to be a long fall/winter, need the radio to make the time pass.

Dad doesn't listen to music and has been forced to listen to Air America on a local FM station. I'm getting tired of him yelling at the radio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is our second year on a 2377, and it is the only year I have had static on AM stations with this or any of the 7 or so axial-flows we had before it. I still haven't found a correlation with anything we are doing with the machine to cause it, gps, 2-way radio, separator on-off, etc. Listening to football on Saturdays I can flip to FM station carrying the same game and it is crystal clear, and cart tractor is too on AM or Fm.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You might try putting suppressor on the alternator or there are ones that are available that connect between the antenaae & the radio. Static use to be a problem years ago when there was just AM stations (yea I'm dating myself) and this was how we solved the problem. Should be able to find what you need at Radio Shack or similiar store.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts