The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone help me figure this out. Iraq just put out a tender for wheat and bids we as follows...per ton
US..$363
Australia $343
Canada $325
Russia $308

Now if my math serves me right that's $10.60 per bushel, my local elevator today is at $5.92 per bushel....who is making all this profit from the difference. I understand it costs money to get it there but for the farmer to get just over half is unbelievable...no wonder nobody is buying our wheat...who's in charge of this fiasco!?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Some of that is shipping charges I am sure.... I know the wheat doesn't miracle itself over there.

So Say thats a 1 dollar per bushel. Still a lot missing somewhere. I guess rest of money buying foodstamps for the "poor"

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Ok so that's about $2 per bushel, puts us up to $8. There is still over 2.5 dollars missing that someone is getting rich on
When it comes to Ag commodities or produce its always been the middle man that makes all the money.

For example onions, normal price for onions after packing cost the farmer is around $5-8 cwt. Yet they sell for .75-.99 cents or so a pound (sometimes higher) in the store. That is $75-100 cwt. HUGE markup, and its all going to the middle men and the retail side.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Isn't it wonderful that we pay the shipping. Farming is the biggest rip off ever. The only business going that has to pay the shipping on the products we buy and the products we sell.
if you really believe that, give Ritchie brothers a call. Land is at record highs and this is a great opportunity to get out of "the biggest rip off ever" and make a killing doing it. Unless you meant that farmers are ripping off everyone else, then it would make sense to stay in it I guess.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
You really can't complain... Farmers are a bunch of individuals that won't work together, same as consumers. We all ***** about the prices we pay for inputs and prices we get for product but don't do anything about it. Farming is the most important and influential industry in the world, without agriculture allot of people wouldn't eat. The companies in between the producer and the consumer have it made because they know if one won't supply there are ten that will, same goes for truckers.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
You really can't complain... Farmers are a bunch of individuals that won't work together, same as consumers. We all ***** about the prices we pay for inputs and prices we get for product but don't do anything about it. Farming is the most important and influential industry in the world, without agriculture allot of people wouldn't eat. The companies in between the producer and the consumer have it made because they know if one won't supply there are ten that will, same goes for truckers.
Allot of truth in there. Farmers in Canada HAD protection from gouging in the form of farmer owned co-ops IE the three pools and UGG but wouldn't support them. It's no coincidence that basis levels have skyrocketed since the last co-op ceased to be "farmer owned" and then ceased to exist all together.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Potentially, farmers should be the wealthiest and most powerful people on earth, after all, we own the land and produce the food that everyone needs to survive.
Why, then, are we not?
Either we have a very flawed business model, or there are Political forces at play, to ensure that farmers forever remain peasants on their own farms?
Over to you, Don!:)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Potentially, farmers should be the wealthiest and most powerful people on earth, after all, we own the land and produce the food that everyone needs to survive.
Why, then, are we not?
Either we have a very flawed business model, or there are Political forces at play, to ensure that farmers forever remain peasants on their own farms?
very true but no farmer could afford to store their crop for a full year and not to seed a crop the next.
in order to gain power you have to have leverage, last time I checked we got non.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Why, then, are we not?
I would word a little different:
Either we have a very flawed political model, or there are business forces at play, to ensure that farmers forever remain peasants on their own farms?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.