The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The problem:

Lack of decent motivated help. Can only find the guys who call you at ten in the morning to tell you they're not coming in today. And they were supposed to start at 8. And think $25 an hr for a labourer entitles them to a smoke break and ten minute phone call every hour.

The solution:

Get rid of said help and only rely on those who have a vested interest and $ on the line. (I farm with my brother and folks). We did this by using the KISS principle. Keep it simple stupid. Getting rid of any unnecessary steps or processes and sometimes not chasing the extra jobs that are hardly worth the time. Like small custom work. Also running larger equipment to get the job done faster. On the cow/calf side after preg checking we run the bulls and cows together and the calves with the bred heifers to cut down on the number of groups to feed. And try to have cattle guards to cut down on the time spent opening gates.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
I have Sirius radio in the shop and I like octane.

The problem: my dad must have taken an acid trip in the 70's and never came back cause he still thinks the 70's music is cool!

The solution: child blocked all the stations but octane

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I have Sirius radio in the shop and I like octane.

The problem: my dad must have taken an acid trip in the 70's and never came back cause he still thinks the 70's music is cool!

The solution: child blocked all the stations but octane
70`s music is the pinnacle of music, don`t you know!
Your Dad and I would get along just fine!:)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Listen to the words they are telling a story . Doesn't matter if it was made yesterday or 50 years ago ,a good song will tell a good story .
A lot of us were conceived to 70's music so it must be "COOL".:)

·
Registered
640 Posts
What is one annoying issue you had on ur farm... An how did you fix it.?
Issue = To much money in the bank , to much spare time , to much hair on your head , nothing to worry about.

How to fix it = Go farming

One of our shearers told me another farmer he shears for won $50,000 in lotto , so he asked him what he was going to do with it and the old farmer looked him in the eye and said " I think I will just keep farming until its all gone ".

·
Super Moderator
5,168 Posts
We always keep a box of Kleenex (facial tissue, snot rags) in the truck but it always seems to be lost under the back seat or has fallen off the center console or in some other inconveniently located spot just in the time of immediate need.
Jayne was driving one day so I got to looking around for a spot, turned the box upside down, held it up against the moon roof glass, wedged the sun cover against the box to hold it in place right in the middle between the front two passengers.
Never lost, always ready, tissues actually feed out better with box upside down.:)

Hey, 8850jd never said it had to be an important issue.:rolleyes:
But sometimes, at the moment, it is!;)

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
issue = Sparrows in quonset

Solution= open sliding doors one foot apart, cover the opening with plywood and leave one foot hole open at top for about a week to let birds get use to flying in and out. Then hang elec motor with a lawnmower blade attached to look like a propellor on a plane. Plug in at night and then scare the birds out the hole. mission accomplished.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Issue = To much money in the bank , to much spare time , to much hair on your head , nothing to worry about.

How to fix it = Go farming

One of our shearers told me another farmer he shears for won $50,000 in lotto , so he asked him what he was going to do with it and the old farmer looked him in the eye and said " I think I will just keep farming until its all gone ".
I was told by a co worker at my old job " how do you make make a million dollars farming? Start out with 10 million. "

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
We always keep a box of Kleenex (facial tissue, snot rags) in the truck but it always seems to be lost under the back seat or has fallen off the center console or in some other inconveniently located spot just in the time of immediate need.
Jayne was driving one day so I got to looking around for a spot, turned the box upside down, held it up against the moon roof glass, wedged the sun cover against the box to hold it in place right in the middle between the front two passengers.
Never lost, always ready, tissues actually feed out better with box upside down.:)

Hey, 8850jd never said it had to be an important issue.:rolleyes:
But sometimes, at the moment, it is!;)
It'll be in the way if you want to go shooting and it's cold!:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.