The Combine Forum banner

And boom goes the Liberty!

8K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  dookiller 
#1 ·
Well there it is..25% increase in Liberty /interline announced for next year!
Sweeeeettt ! We will tighten up those margins...wouldnt want a tax problem!!!
Looking forward to the next step... paying $26 an acre for axial...
Organic farmers must be just giggling at us! ( and to be fair.... i would be too)

#10 ·
I'm curious if any of you bought your Liberty from BASF in the fall and how that has worked out. I did not. I tried to, but there seemed to be some resistance to that and I think I now know why.
Apparently the price increase for the '22 crop is now up to 40%.
I'm hearing that even if a producer pre-bought their Liberty in the fall for the '22 crop and took it home, somebody is still on the hook for the 40%! That being either the grower or the retailer.
Also, due to the shortage, it sounds like BASF is only allocating enough Liberty to retailers to supply growers who bought the seed there. And... they are thinking it may only be enough for a single 1.35L app.
I get it that shortages are real, and we have to be flexible to make this all work. But it will be interesting to see how this shakes up the market going forward.
Will this really put the pinch on varieties offered by "seed only" retailers?
Will it drastically drop Liberty usage going forward? Push many more over to generics?
Will it remind growers that Liberty used to be a one pass system? Back when it was $20/acre most timed that app to be a one pass. Then they dropped the Liberty price, jacked up the seed price to compensate, so it was more comparable to RR. Then it was pushed as a two pass no-brainer. I feel that this has largely been pushed by retailers, and it has eventually been adopted as just "normal practice". We have continued to try to time our Liberty as one pass, mind you at the high rate. But we are in the minority in our area. Now retails are only going to be allowed the one pass so they are suggesting active scouting to make that one pass adequate. What happens when growers realize that this might work on more years than not?

#11 ·
Easy solution is just don't grow Liberty link canola. Have to hit them where it hurts. Lots of great Clearfield varieties out there and Round up as well. They all yield extremely close to one another IMO. I have had Clearfield beat Liberty on my farm a few times over the yrs. I don't grow a variety just because everyone else is lol. I choose based on rotation of chemical and weeds present. Seems like everyone is on a every second yr liberty 2 pass system, living for the day and not the future which will train wreck with resistance eventually.

#12 ·
Well I agree with you on not growing it, IF you have other options.
With soybeans and corn in rotation RR canola is a weed, and a very bad one.
I have grown clearfield before and LOVED the chemistry and the variety that we grew. However we grow quite a bit of fall rye after canola.
Growing Clearfield canola is a much shorter road to resistance problems than Liberty.
Group 2 resistance is a very real thing, and getting quite common where Group 2's are needed in wheat and pulses.
Being a desiccant, SO FAR Glufosinate resistance is very rare.
If a group 1 is added every time (like I do) I think that runs a greater risk of developing group 1 resistance.

#15 ·
We used to be one pass Liberty, it worked but we always had some escapes. Then one year we were spraying and started a field and did the headland and started but then a cloud came out of no where and showered so we quit. Then a few days later we went back and sprayed the entire field again (concerned the first bit was compromised by the rain shower). When we harvested that field the headland (120') and a few passes that had 2 applications of Liberty at 1.35 (with Centurion at 40 ac/case) yielded between 10-20 bu higher. We were shocked. Since then we just do it, is it the best for the soil (in our opinion no) but economically it is a no brainer for us. We grow 20% of our land base in peas/fabas so Clearfield canola is a no go. We just got the word from our supplier that price is going up as of Monday this week. Not sure how they can ask for more money after the sale has been made...retailer will have to eat it but then that means they pass it along in other products is my guess.

#27 ·
How? I know Corteva has at least one liberty tolerant variety that is not beholden to basf (to my knowledge). Now that some of the patents have expired other companies are free to develop their own varieties using their own techniques. Corteva's parent lines for the variety I know of include non-tolerant, conventional males. This is very different from how basf came up with theirs.

#29 ·
I guess I'll consider myself lucky that I bought and paid for my Liberty earlier in the fall still at a last years price, before the shortage began. That being said, because lack of heated storage I haven't taken delivery yet but I'd be very surprised if my retailer didn't stand good for it.

#30 ·
I would say if you paid for it you should be good. If it was just an order you committed to then a guy may be out of luck. Retailer here is making some not fun phone calls right now to tell growers that committed to a price that doesn't matter price is going up. Only guys lucky enough to pay and pickup before this last Monday escaped the price increase.

#31 ·
So I'm now informed by my retailer that the Liberty that I bought and paid for last fall won't be delivered to me after all. Supposedly Basf will only be supplying 1.35 litre per acre of Liberty per acre of Invigour seed purchased. Since quite a bit of my seed is Brevant guess I'm SOL. Complete Bullshit!!! Have a good mind to cancel my Invigour seed and it's going to be all Brevant next year.

#36 ·
I would be going over any invoice with a fine toothed comb to see where, in that "contract" they say that they have the right to do this. As far as I am concerned, bought and paid for means that YOU OWN IT. If you had taken it home would they have the legal right to come to your farm and take some of it back???. If not, what is the difference??. Try that at an elevator some time. Even when you are NOT paid up front, try to go to them and say that you are not going to supply the product that you contracted that you would. See how that goes for you. If it were me and I could get a replacement seed I would cancel in a heart beat. BASF won't care but I would do as a matter of principle. There are bog companies that I have reused to deal with for over 20 years now due to corporate decisions that rub me the wrong way. My "boycott" have zero affect on them as they are so big but I do it for the principle of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.