The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was trying to finish up combineing today after numerous breakdowns and this one takes the cake... I was turning to make a corner on my 06 585r in the mud of course and when i moved the hydrostat lever to change direction from reverse to forward i heard a crunch and the machine will not move. All you hear is a slight grinding noise when the lever is moved in either direction in all gears and neutral. I assume something stripped in the transmission that couples the hydraulic motor to the transmission. Has anyone had this happen? Or heard of it? And is it repairable by removing hyd motor? And if not any suggestions on how to get it out the the mud hole which is about 140 acres in size

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im in manitoba, it shifts into neutral but i think its to muddy to pull it with anything except maybe a d8 and i think with all the problems ive had if i had to get a d8 out there it would be just to dig a hole a bury it! Im thinking to try and block off the oil flow to the motor and hopefully use the rear wheel assist to help move it... But not sure on that yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 470r did the same thing, striped the splines on the drive motor shaft. I took the motor off and took it to the dealer and they replaced the shaft. Motors not to bad to get off, you could do it in the field if you have to, plug the lines and a few bolts and its off. If the 5s are the same anyway. Dealer says it happens fairly often. Check the oil in the tranny and see if its got metal in it. if thats what it is make sure and check the female side in the tranny too. When i got ours back to the shop after harvest I went ahead and tore the tranny down just to replace that female side and found a few other things while I was in there. Any way just some ideas

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it was the coupler between the hyd motor and the transmission that stripped as well as the hyd motor shaft. Toromont had the coupler and shaft and seal kit for the hyd motor in stock, however upon disassembling the motor i found the bushing at the back end of the shaft was toast as well. I cant seem to catch a break this year... I made a bushing and reassembled the motor with new shaft so we'll see if that can hold to get the machine out of the field and home.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Really sorry to hear all the trouble your having. Just because misery loves company and I didn't want you to feel alone :). We lost the transmissions in every one of our JD 9500's, it happens to the best of us.

How many hours does your 585R have on it?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Really sorry to hear all the trouble your having. Just because misery loves company and I didn't want you to feel alone :). We lost the transmissions in every one of our JD 9500's, it happens to the best of us.

How many hours does your 585R have on it?
Trans failure on a 9500?? I have only ever had one 9600 with a trans issue out of the dozens and dozens that I have worked on over the last 20 years, never mind a lighter 9500 with the same gearbox.

Being that Toromont had most of the parts it would seem that this is a somewhat common issue.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Trans failure on a 9500?? I have only ever had one 9600 with a trans issue out of the dozens and dozens that I have worked on over the last 20 years, never mind a lighter 9500 with the same gearbox.

Being that Toromont had most of the parts it would seem that this is a somewhat common issue.
Not just one but in all 3 9500's we had. Never lost one in a 96XX

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats crazy to loose three transmissions!!! Now i guess i cant gripe anymore lol. the machine has 1360 sep hrs and about 1800 engine and apparently that coupler has been known to strip and the fact that cat will supply you with a new shaft, coupler, and seal kit but no other parts for the hyd motor would lead me to beleive that is quite common. Also the new hyd motor shaft is hardened (you can see the heat treatment on the splines) so that would tell me the shafts on the original motors were not strong enough. Also the shafts and coupler were quite rusty, so to make a long story short yes i would recommend pulling the hyd motor back and checking things out in there cuz its so much easier to do it in the shop as opposed to out in the field in the mud...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Thats crazy to loose three transmissions!!! Now i guess i cant gripe anymore lol.
As a farmer I would so absolutely not! No one can take away the right to gripe!:D

They were all three 1989 models and obviously had a flaw of some sort. As I recall it was the same part that failed in all three.

Glad you got up and going again though, frustrating to be down especially in the final days of harvest in the mud:(

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
There are a lot of less than obvious splines to grease on these machines. There is the ones on the rotors at the back, the ones at the transmission, one at the bottom of the verticle unloading auger, and two under the inspection plates at the corner of the horizontal and verticle unloading auger.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
There are a lot of less than obvious splines to grease on these machines. There is the ones on the rotors at the back, the ones at the transmission, one at the bottom of the verticle unloading auger, and two under the inspection plates at the corner of the horizontal and verticle unloading auger.
You are absolutely right SSK! I have had a couple of hydro drive splines fail on 1680 and 1688. No grease nipples. I think I drilled one on the 1688 to be able to keep it greased. The heat rust starts to build in the splines and works just like cutting compound. If you can grease it enough to push the cuttings out , it has to be better. My 480 had a solid splined coupler between the two rotor drive gear boxes that used to cut the splines out. Stupid design. The newer machines use a lovejoy coupler to allow for some misalignment. Better setup. I have drilled and tapped the 480 coupler for greasing but it still only lasted about 1000 thresher hours. I still feel better pushing some grease in there though.

Is there any way to get grease into the coupler/spline on the 500 Lexion?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.