The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an effective way of keeping birds out of storage sheds? Tired of having machinery crapped on constantly. Keep the doors shut when not in use, but they still sneak in. Cats are doing good, but at this rate I am going to have 100 lbs cats.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A few years back a neighbor had a similar problem he looked into it, he ended up getting some of middle eastern hawk. He got 2 of them. They would hunt pigeons and pretty much any small birds. They did a great job. Not sure what they were or how much they cost but worth looking into.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I am guessing its not a pigeon problem then as typically keeping doors shut will keep them out. I can see how some types of small birds can get into sheds depending on how the wall/eave tin sheets are installed though. I have no personal wise words on how to rid your birds but did find some info on an Alberta Gov website that talks about sparrows in sheds and the poison is what interested me, not sure how easy it is to get your hands on though.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex3498

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'm looking for a solution as well cptusa. It's just not practical to enclose your sheds; you need access to get your gear, and it's another cost! But bird **** pisses me off. I'm happy to provide the shelter, but all I ask is the they go outside to take a dump.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,883 Posts
Hanging CDs on fishing line or string so they swing in the breeze and create moving reflections does keep most birds out of open walled carports and small sheds. Not sure how it would go in a closed dark shed. Might be worth a try if you can get a breeze in their with some light.
Poison grain is always good, but might be ingested by the wrong birds.
A pest exterminator could probably get you some special bird bait stations. Or a couple of carpet pythons..............:eek:

·
Registered
74 Posts
A bucket of mouse off will sort out any birds that eat grain like pigeons, as well as the mice and rats.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
****, you gave me an idea as it wouldn't be too difficult to rig up a pail on a pulley rope system so it can dangle way up inside the shed roof so that only the birds can get to it and no cats can get into the poison, then one can lower it down to reload it once in a while and I'd guess that would be a popular feeding spot until they all kick the bucket !. You might have to make a coned platform ring around the pail so that as they feed and flutter around, the poison grain doesn't fall to the shed floor.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Have mentioned this before , been working forever for me,
USE BIRD SHOT shoot the odd one they will all leave , will need to do a few times , they talk to each other it seems (don't go in there he will shoot you) I only have to retrain a few times a year. Can leave doors open all day.
Do a search, its been talked about a FEW times

·
Registered
20 Posts
Depends on were they are getting in, if its between the rafter heel and top wall plate (soffit area) then you could staple in some mesh door screen in that area, it would keep birds out but airflow still moving. Although the hanging bucket would probably work pretty darn good. We have issues with woodchucks crawling inside engine compartments and chomping off wires and radiator hoses. Any ideas about those little buggers?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Have mentioned this before , been working forever for me,
USE BIRD SHOT shoot the odd one they will all leave , will need to do a few times , they talk to each other it seems (don't go in there he will shoot you) I only have to retrain a few times a year. Can leave doors open all day.
Do a search, its been talked about a FEW times

Don't shoot to kill -- only wound the first one, he'll do all the talking and you can put your gun away for good .....;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts