The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was pretty hard on my legs when I was a teenager, doing what teenagers do best: motorcycle crashes, bmx bicycle crashes, skateboards, basketball, etc. As a result I have very weak ankles(as well as catches in one hip and occasional knee problems). I'm only 26 now, and I usually have 1 or 2 bad ankle injuries in the summers...usually when I'm starting to get worn down from not having time to relax.

Yesterday, climbing down from the aircart after refilling it with winter wheat and fertilizer I took the last step and severely rolled my ankle. This has got me to thinking I should perhaps wear full time protection until I can strengthen the muscles.

Anyone have trouble like me? And if so, what did you find that works? For now I think I'll have to stick to fabric braces and tensor bandages to get by.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Maybe you should wear a pair of MX boots until you're done climbing down from that cart. The Sidi Crossfires with the ankle hinge are so nice you won't even want socks. You'll likely just start jumping off the thing then.

Post a picture for us if you start farming in those things ok.

Great for kicking the s*** out of something too

·
Registered
214 Posts
Look for a set of lineman or logger or quarry boots. They will have bracing built into them to hold your ankles better. That what i had to go to to keep from hurting mine again. If you check out Danner - Since 1932 look at there quarry boots.

·
Registered
601 Posts
primer you have enough moisture to seed winter wheat?? Just south of u in ND we r dry and hard. I would seed into dry if i could even get it in the ground but that isnt happening yet.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first field(480 acres) had some moisture, not much, but some. The field I started on today is very dry. Won't start until we get some rain.

It's tough going, but in the end it might be worth it! Got lots of time left this fall for it to grow if it could get some rain. However, broke my first two shanks on my 5710 in the past few days.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
In conditions like this it's easy to appreciate a disc drill. It's just making a skinny little furrow with dust on top.

Oh oh, ten minutes after posting that I got a call, smelling more ammonia in the cab and they have the pressure jacked up till the back tires are off of the ground. I told them to raise the gauge wheels on the front row, back off on the pressures, put the cab blower on recirculate and tell the driver that ammonia just makes you horny.

It's getting dryer every day.

·
Registered
601 Posts
yes i have a disk drill also and i wanna go but gonna wait for a bit to see if we get some rain. how late does a guy dare seed winter wheat in northern nd or southern sk?

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
In Manitoba the end of standard crop insurance coverage is Sept 15, with extended coverage ( reduced by 20% ) until Sept 20.

·
Registered
601 Posts
In Manitoba the end of standard crop insurance coverage is Sept 15, with extended coverage ( reduced by 20% ) until Sept 20.

But how late would u dare go and actually have the crop be fine? I have heard some guys talking around here that the seed only actually has to germinate this fall and will be fine next spring if snow cover is ok. So i am kind thinking i will plant up to about October 7th or so in northern nd.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
No help with ankle braces primer, but I got more off topic info for WW. Last year I seeded on the 25th of Sept., everything turned out great. I won't be scared to seed into the first few days of Oct. I don't have insurance on winter wheat anyway, so an old standard date doesn't mean much to me.

F

·
0 Posts
I have had some knee problems in the past, best thing I did was see a physiotherapist. They can give you specific information on what type of brace is the best to use, when to have it on, proper care and cleaning, and they may also be able to offer you some advice on some exercises to do to strengthen your ankles so you don't have the problems your having. I know it worked for me. I wore the braces threw high school and college, and a few years after, did the exercises they recommended and now I don't have any problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best Ankle Brace

Common cycling injuries include IT Band pain, patellofemoral pain syndrome, general knee pain, Achilles tendonitis, and lower back pain. Bike fit is especially important for cyclists as many people. Some of these include IT Band Pain, patellofemoral pain syndrome. we are going to look at football bestanklebrace that will help protect you from injury and help you recovers should you have an injury.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts