The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't this just typical of big money? The lack of respect for others and an indulgence in ones own self importance is disgusting. Downright rude and uneducated.

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
Most on here are probably too young to have ever heard or read this, but it is still as true today as it was when it was a well known statement...

·
Registered
323 Posts
I was going to say something about being a useless politician but there are some out there that actually get how civilizations work.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I was going to say something about being a useless politician but there are some out there that actually get how civilizations work.

Don't let Vilsack's lip service cloud your judgement too much, he is a useless politician as well. He may talk a good game but has zero clue how modern ag works. Being the Governor of Iowa is what lead him into the role of Secretary of Agriculture, not an understanding of agriculture.

Give the man credit though, at least he does sincerely appreciate farmers.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Long time ago I wrote a song with a lyric about bankers that works here. "AND HIM AND TEN MORE LIKE HIM, COULDN'T GROW A SINGLE POUND OF GRAIN" or something close to that. Was a song about a group of neighbours shouting down an auction to buy their friend some time. Unfortunately seems a little outdated now but the lyric still works for that dude. Lemme see if I can find the song.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
They have the biggest NON PRODUCING RACKET on the Planet. And We the Peeeple Fools shore up their Insolvent Methods of Perverted Economics better known as "Usuary"!

·
Registered
249 Posts
They have the biggest NON PRODUCING RACKET on the Planet. And We the Peeeple Fools shore up their Insolvent Methods of Perverted Economics better known as "Usuary"!
Didn't know what the word usuary meant so I looked it up. Did you mean usury? The practice of lending money at exorbitant interest rates.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Excuse the extra A..... Usury. Yes manipulative or excessive interest rates and thus the non backed money printed out of thin air.

Rates that aren't a Real or found in a Healthy Functionng market. They can be artificially low as well. And wealth will be destroyed through constant inflation.

Probably not perfectly professional to just throw out Usury...but it's basically to at least something for nothing. No Real Wealth of Savings Driving the Sustainable Growth.

They have many sophisticated Debt Instruments at their disposal as most here know.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Look, he's an ass and I wouldn't vote for him. But he's at least just saying what he really thinks. It's what most of them (either party) think....in most countries anymore. Interesting to think about......do they realize that if less that 1% of folks grow all the food, is it really a good idea to badmouth them? Maybe one day we will find out. Maybe not. I do know that all the outrage around today makes me tired. I'm too old and have too much to get done to have too much time for this.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Isn't this just typical of big money? The lack of respect for others and an indulgence in ones own self importance is disgusting. Downright rude and uneducated.
Arrogant, smug SOB! I'm surprised nobody walked up and punched him out!

A billionaire with a pro climate change agenda can only mean one thing. He's heavily invested in carbon credit trading.
Al Gore's buddy!

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Well the basic farming is just that, dig a hole, put seed in, watch it grow. But he failed to make the connection for the audience that the use of information to do a better job of that is the future - exactly what farmers try to do with yield monitors, soil test, agronomy - data.

But in many ways he is right. All the big companies are killing themselves over getting your data which you willingly hand over or pay to give it. They are the ones with the gray matter. While he may appear as smug, are we just that dumb after all? Did he just not tie the 2 together. Sometimes you have to look past what initially appears as an insult to find the real message.

(before you go nuclear, meant to inspire conversation, not saying we are dumb)

·
Registered
176 Posts
You are absolutely correct Brian, that is farming in a nutshell. What is pushing and is outside the envelope is the technology that we have embraced to become more efficient out of necessity. Tractors and combines, other than being more operator friendly and nicer to operate are still the same basic concept from when they first replaced the horse and scythe.. What has changed is the information that we can extract from them. That information while beneficial to us as producers becomes much more valuable to people higher up on the food chain than us. If you as a manufacturer have hit the wall with what you can offer producers in way of technology on a new piece of equipment what do you look too to drive more profit from that same piece of equipment, and that is the information that it can gather for you.Your data is valuable to you, but it is far more valuable to someone else.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Arrogant, smug SOB! I'm surprised nobody walked up and punched him out!

A billionaire with a pro climate change agenda can only mean one thing. He's heavily invested in carbon credit trading.
Al Gore's buddy!
Nobody walked up and punched him out because they were listening to him in the context of his conversation which was about an hour long,I don t think he meant any disrespect,he says he doesn’t mean any disrespect.Watch the video starting at 41:50,it includes the first half of the sentence that wasn t included in the opening post s clip.Intentionally I think,he s actually talking about 3000 yrs of agrarian society

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I don't like Bloomberg, personally I think he's an arrogant prick. That said he did become victim of the "sound byte media" on this deal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts