The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This "New to me 2188" that I bought at a farm sale has all of the safety screens on both sides of the machine. When I looked at it a month before the sale, all of the screens were off as this is how the previouse owner ran it. I understand from a safety standpoint why they are there and was told by a Case-IH combine mechanic that I would have them off also, after a day or two of running it......made reference to chaff and straw build-up between the screens and body of combine. Is he right?
If other people take them off for no more than the easeabilty of service, that won't bother me. I think they look kinda nice myself!

By the way, I will find out all about this combine sometime this week as we should start wheat harvest here in a few days.

·
Registered
137 Posts
trakman, the only shield that I've ever had cause a problem mechanically was the one on the right side above the tailings conveyor. It fills up with chaff and rubs on the shaker/elevator drive belt and idler, in corn sometimes a cob will get in the pulley and throw the belt. Good luck.

·
Registered
144 Posts
We have all the shields removed on ours. Makes for easier maintainence and servicing along with letting trash out. With the shields on, trash tends to build up. Will put these back on when we upgrade combines. No, it won't hurt having the shields removed at all.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We keep ours on and they aren't any trouble. The one on the front on the RH side keeps mud from being flung into the belts and such. Might be important this year
Good luck, hope your wheat does better than I think ours will. Still haven't turned a wheel here in SC KS. Wheat goes down a little more each day which isn't helping the ground dry out any.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.