The Combine Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Go with farm king 16” 1000 pto. Run it on 540. You be happy you did.
So you run your thousand rpm auger slow and bought a big one to make up the difference? Sounds like a good strategy.
Yes. If you have lots of power run it on thousand over time you will blow the gearbox. At 540 it’s a little bigger than a 13”. And no chattering very quiet. The tailgate on the truck is just about wide open so how much faster do you want to go? At 540 a 4020 jd runs it well.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've had probably a half dozen 10 and 13' Westfields which all came with a cv joint at the bottom near the bearing and have never had any trouble with them. Chances are that even if your auger has one and you didnt know about it, you probably haven't been greasing it and now likely will have play in the CV joint which is contributing to the vibration.

I noticed earlier on in the thread there was some discussion about gearbox size for the 13". When Westfield went to the Plus series in the 13" I noticed they starting using a lot heavier gearboxes then previous models. Another huge improvement was a simple apparatus at the top auger bearing which enables it to share the load with the bottom bearing.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts