The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just turn the key off while harvesting at full speed, disengage the feeder house and rotor while it's shutting down and restart the engine as soon as it's stopped. It sounds cruel but you won't do any harm as long as you fire it up again straight away.

·
Registered
192 Posts
How does it handle it when you reengage it with a gut full of crop after you`ve checked it? That`s the part that worries me. Gunna try it next time tho cos i felt we lost a few to many beans last time we harvested. We couldn`t tell if they were in the pod still or going over the sieves once the chopper had spread it. We don`t like harvesting with the chopper up to much or else you pay for it when it comes time to work up the ground with a windrow of trash.

·
Registered
192 Posts
How do you do this power shut down thing? It`s hard to see where loses are coming from, especialy when the chopper is down. Had a read of the manual about it. Just want you guys opinion on it and best way to do it. Sound a bit cruel on the combine when starting it up again.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I don't like doing it either JD but sometimes you have no option. Make sure you open the concave right up before firing it up again. Are the harvest trac gauges showing you where the losses are at all?

·
Registered
192 Posts
As i said i`m new to the STS (previously had a 7720) So i`m not sure exactly how to read them. If one bar comes up on the screen does that mean i`ve got loses or is that exceptable? How do you set them up and read them? Same with the return, I`m used to the 7720 where you could see the return elevator. How many bars is exceptable on the return before it`s over loading?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I am just trying to remember the 50 series guages... Its been a while...

I think they are the same as the 60's. There should be 3 bar graphs, the left is sieve loss, the right is rotor loss and the middle is combined losses. There should be a line halfway up the middle bar graph and that is where you should run it to 'capacity' (providing it is calibrated properly) One bar coming up is very little, or should be. It would probably be easier to read thru the manual on how to calibrate them rather than me try and help of the top of my head, I haven't ran a 50 since 03. (not sure if its the same as mine to calibrate)

With the tailings gauge, I generally like to run it showing bars filled in about a quarter of the way up the guage, but everyone has different opinions. Obviously some crops and conditions will cause more tailings material than others.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
on the left of the group of buttons near the loss graphs should be a button with CAL on it, get it up and running to what you decide is acceptable loss etc, and press CAL and it will bring graph lines up about mid way between the two green lines,as far as repeats go im with bundys reply, every crop changes the amount, some wheat varieties like Sunlin are hard to thrash and run a heap of repeats, ive seen the graph run 3/4 sometimes and never had any problems, but every crop and operator differs abit here

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. I`m learning heaps more on the forum than asking my JD techs.
Have any of you guys put in a adjustable precleaner in your STS?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
ive got one in a 60, have a look in the last few pages of topics, there was a post a few weeks ago under heading Adjustable precleaner i think

1 - 9 of 9 Posts