The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attention all walker owners. Quite a while back I was running my 50 walker to clean it out a bit before pulling it into the shop for preseason repairs and with the side seperator inspection doors open I was SHOCKED at what I saw once my man throttled it up to speed. The turbulance/windage from the cylinder at normal wheat threshing speeds caused the beater curtain to get sucked up against the back of the concave, and it stayed there until it reached less than half throttle. This would explain probably a hand full of walker loss issues among other problems.
Im not sure if cylinder speed, or beater speed, or the right combination of the two causes this effect only at certain times, a little playin around with the adjustments could quickly reveal if this is a problem in most harvest conditions. I dont take a chance anymore and have since ripped those curtains out.
Maybe a guy could somehow weight them down, or add a support to keep them in the vertical position but I did it the cheap way and it did help walker loss issues in a huge way.
I didnt bother checking if this also happened in my other two 9600s but am not willing to chance that either.
As far as this one particular case on the 9650 Id has a sunny cylinder, sunny beater, beater speed up kit, and 13 bar concave. The feeder house was still attached and all the front cylinder doors including stone trap and auger clean out were closed. The only doors open were the side preclener/walker doors, which I doubt caused the problem.
Anyone seen or heard of this before?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dave
I have never heard of this occuring before. It sounds like you have ran crops without the curtain and you have seen a decrease in loss of grain over the walkers?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive never seen any early models with the limiters, Which era are you talking about. This basically could be a problem for many walker runners out there but Im not sure in which conditions it will shoe up.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
It's been a long time since I've seen this setup, I'm guessing when I say it was in the International 914 combines which were
very common where I live in Manitoba, Canada.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Interesting. The older 9600s had a one piece curtain that hung straight down rather than angled forward like the newer ones. I wonder if this would act differently? I'm sure the sunny has something to do with this because the raised bar mounts create more wind than a standard bar/spider setup.

Do you have the feeder house dust fans? Was the feeder engaged? I would be tempted to try and mount a camera inside to see what happens in the field. Cleaning fan speed and crop flow might affect it too.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im sure any settings, fan, feeder, or beater and cylinder speed could change what happens, what I do know is this is a real eye opener and is hard to predict in any condition. I know even stock open cylinders create quite the amount of windage, even at idle you can feel the air movement out the front of the feeder house when walkin around the front.
The more I think about it I think air fan speed would not change it, theres not much air coming from the preclenaer area that far back, and its much lower. Beater speed up kits could amplify the problem too.
Im also thinking of trying the old titan trick of opening up the front part of the walkers anyway to help grain fall down, or maybe add the angle shield at the front to block any kernels though I think only part of the kernels pass through the concave, most I think come over with the straw and dump right on top.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The old White 8920 combines had two curtains over the walkers. The front one closest to the cylinder beater was removable if plugging/back feeding of the cylinder beater was experienced. The rear curtain stayed in place to prevent the loss of grain over the walkers and was too far from the cylinder to do what you describe. Usually experienced more grain loss over the walkers without the front curtain in place harvesting beans or corn than in wheat. So what you are saying with your deere makes some sense.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not talking about the two walker curtains, we use stock only rubber there, the beater curtain that mounts to the beater grate at the front of the walkers is the one that I noticed was a problem child.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts